• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Oil filter cover broke during oil change - any advice?

luckedoggs

Reaction score
Visit site
My first time changing oil in my 2014 DCT (went to the dealer prior). Things were going great until I tried to place the DCT oil filter cover back on. It cracked when I screwed it back on (was not even tight).

IMG_20160320_113003.jpgIMG_20160320_113006.jpgIMG_20160320_113022.jpgIMG_20160320_113044.jpgIMG_20160320_113054.jpg

In ended up super gluing the parts together, then assembled everything back and filled it up with oil. Any one face a similar issue? or advice on if I should ride around (so far no oily puddles, but it's only been an hour or so).

They need to have a simpler, all metal solid, design.

That sucks. Funny it broke even though it wasn't tight, maybe you're not the first to super glue it. Might as well order a new one otherwise you won't sleep right. Thanks for posting I'll be extra careful with mine.

Make sure the cover is seated in the hole and the mating surfaces are squared up before evenly tightening the bolts. Maybe it was just a casting defect in the part.

Edit: It wasn't on upside down was it? The marks on the inner surface of the broken part might have pressed against the protrusion below the cover that protects the engine case at that point.

Last edited:
You'll probably lose some oil if you swap it out while the crankcase is full. Just wipe it up and replace whatever you lost.

It looks like it broke past the rubber oring seal so it should be ok as no oil is supposed to get past it. I wouldn't risk it. It's a $30 part. Order it and some oil and sleep at night.

Honda 11337-MGS-D40 - COVER, OIL FILTER : Pro Caliber

You'll probably lose some oil if you swap it out while the crankcase is full. Just wipe it up and replace whatever you lost.

It looks like it broke past the rubber oring seal so it should be ok as no oil is supposed to get past it. I wouldn't risk it. It's a $30 part. Order it and some oil and sleep at night.

Honda 11337-MGS-D40 - COVER, OIL FILTER : Pro Caliber

+1 risking couple K transmission over $30 part. poor risk\reward ratio. specially with super glue fix. even cheap SOB like me wouldn't do that. :)

Hello may I have a question. If I remove the cover is there any oil leaking? I've had a small incident see image and I need to paint over this part. Thanks.
a7016bdbf78087c45d785c4cef6eb1e7.jpg

I would guess that if you leaned the bike to the left, most of the oil would flow to the other side of the crankcase so very little oil will leak once the cover is removed. By "lean" I mean tip the bike so the left handlebar weight is resting on something solid such as a workbench or wall.

I agree. You can look at the right side and visualize where the oil level is from where the dipstick is. You should be able to lean the bike over to a point where oil level is below the filter cavity.

Another option is to drain the oil into a clean container and just pour it back in after the DCT filter cover is replaced. It's more work and could be messy but I've done this before when replacing leaking oil gallery plugs on my Triumph.

[...They need to have a simpler, all metal solid, design...]

As far as I know, the cover is 100% aluminum.

I've changed oil once on my bike and if I remember correctly the cover was cocked for some reason until I repositioned it otherwise the same thing may have happened to me.
I remember thinking how easily real harm could have been done. I would definitely be getting a new cover. Good luck.

Thanks all. Ordered the part same day, but have received it yet. In the meanwhile the super glue on the filter has held up. Ridden it 250 miles (5 days, 50 miles/day) on the highway. No leaks yet. I don't expect it to last, but in a pinch the fix held up so far.

I confess to surprise that Super Glue worked. I'd have used JB Weld with total confidence, but if it's working, that's great!

Back