• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Issue

Update #1: After 2 weeks in the shop, Honda dealer finally took a look at issue. They diagnosed a faulty battery..., took 4 days to install a new Yusa YTZ12S (same as OEM), $380 charge, batt $125 and 1.5hr of labor. I picked up the bike later today, worked fine for 10 minutes and gear shifting started to act up again. I came on a red light, bike would not down shift, gear indicator was stuck on 5. Turned off engine and could not restart motor. Ignition, turns on, gear display still stuck to 5 and can hear a faint electric click. I tried the DCT reset procedure without success. Bike goes back to shop tonight, ha e been waiting for tow truck for 90 minutes...

That's outrageous. I think you should change the shop. Tell them that you will demand refund for labor.
There are at least two Honda dealers in Baltimore. You may suggest to diagnose DCT.

Thanks for the update, telecam. I was just wondering yesterday how things were going with the issue. Sadly, when you're at the mercy of a dealer's service department, this is quite often how things go. Wishing you better luck on repair attempt #2.

Last edited:
I am kind of stuck with my local dealer (Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, VA), since this is by far the closest to my home. Towing the motorcycle to Baltimore wouldn't not be covered by my insurance and would be quite an expensive and lengthy process. I am really trying to play good sports and use Honda local dealer.

Update #2: Tow truck didn't not show up after waiting 2 hours so, I decided to give it another go. Turned ignition on, gear selector indicator stuck to 5 and engine would not start. I then roll the bike backwards, gear indicator moved down, 4,3, 2, 1 and N with green light. Engine started fine, just to take advantage or a normal state, I did one more DCT calibration which was successful. Started to rode the bike back home and after about 10 minutes, it got stuck in 3rd. I rode it all the way home on 3rd. Will try to bring it back to dealer again tomorrow.

Call HONDA customer relations and they will mediate on your behalf, they did for me with a recent issue and I saw results.

It’s quite common for a service tech to use a common remedy (easy way out) at first pass, because most of the time they will be right, anyway. What happens next at this dealer, now that the easy stuff is ruled out, will test their mettle. If no positive results are achieved on the second try, then contact Honda or a different dealer.

I realize the following is probably not a very helpful comment to the person with the DCT problem, and I realize also that people in general have many different skills and talents, mechanics possibly not being one of them. Or maybe they don’t have the time or place to do the work. All fine. But, THIS situation is why I learn all I can about the machine, buy the service manual, and do all my own service work. If I had to rely on someone else to fix my motorcycles, I’d get so frustrated I’d go find a different hobby.

DCT Clutch Calibration

Update #3: Turned ignition on (without starting engine) this morning, gear selector showed the bike was in 5th gear, then I hear clicking noise and the gear display went down 4, 3, 2, 1 and Neutral with green light on, which is the normal state prior to start the engine. I started the bike and all seems to work. I am going to ride it for a few miles but I am sure, the DCT is going to crap out again. It's interesting that the issue seems to fix itself after the bike has been idle for a while or parked overnight and that it takes a good 10 to 15 minutes of riding for the DCT to crap out again. Can it be heat related? On the other hand, I wrote a professional and pointed letter to my dealer service manager and she gave me a call back this morning. They are coming to my home to pickup the bike and promised they will put it at the top of the priority cue. Hope!

Last edited:
...It's interesting that the issue seems to fix itself ...

No, this is random. All shifting mechanism is momentarily misaligned. This could be because of loose shifter pin, but it can be something else. They have to diagnose it. If they are certified Honda repair shop, they must have Honda's MCS (Motorcycle Communication System). Service manual describes how to use it - that's for us. But, hopefully, their technicians been trained by Honda, right?

and if they cannot and you complain through Honda then I believe you will see results because they sure jumped on my issue when I complained almost as if they can lose their certification if there are unresolved cases - this is a wild assumption but as I said, I saw results immediately.

Update #5: Dealer called and said it could be the oil... I really don't think so. I did the oil change at 3,800 mi and used recommended Honda NG4 10W-30SJ oil and oem filters. That is well within the recommended maintenance schedule which calls for oil/filter changes every 8K. Bike now has 6,290 mi.

Oh boy..........this does not sound good. It’s not the oil !!

Sounds a lot more like the shifter pin is loose.
Ask the dealer to call Honda for technical assistance. The shifter pin is a known issue.........your bike has all the symptoms.

Update #5: Dealer called and said it could be the oil... I really don't think so. I did the oil change at 3,800 mi and used recommended Honda NG4 10W-30SJ oil and oem filters. That is well within the recommended maintenance schedule which calls for oil/filter changes every 8K. Bike now has 6,290 mi.

Bwahahaha! “Could be the oil.” LOL!

This dealer sounds incapable of troubleshooting complex problems.

Dealer: “Let’s see, it has gas, it has oil, the battery is new. Geez, I don’t know, . . . maybe we could ask Honda “

It’s quite common for a service tech to use a common remedy (easy way out) at first pass, because most of the time they will be right, anyway. What happens next at this dealer, now that the easy stuff is ruled out, will test their mettle. If no positive results are achieved on the second try, then contact Honda or a different dealer.

I realize the following is probably not a very helpful comment to the person with the DCT problem, and I realize also that people in general have many different skills and talents, mechanics possibly not being one of them. Or maybe they don’t have the time or place to do the work. All fine. But, THIS situation is why I learn all I can about the machine, buy the service manual, and do all my own service work. If I had to rely on someone else to fix my motorcycles, I’d get so frustrated I’d go find a different hobby.
And a much bigger wallet would be needed to pull much dinero from and hand it to the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DCT Clutch Calibration

Update #6: Dealer emailed today saying bike was fixed and mechanic will call me between 10A and 10:30A to discussed his findings. He did... On the first test ride they took, bike worked fine. Then, one of his co-workers rode it and experienced the shifting problem. He explained that the DCT reset may not have gone through correctly after they changed the battery. They reset the DCT a couple times (DD-N-D-N...), he said he rode the bike 30 minutes and gave it ample time to warm up and that everything worked fine. I picked it up, paid an additional $180 for trouble shooting (to be fair, they did not charge me for towing the bike back to their shop from my home....). Rode 6 miles, about 15 minutes and shifting issue came up again. Shifting got stuck on whatever gear I was when it happened (2 or 3), no up or downshifting possible in any mode (S, D or manual), dash flashing instead of gear number in LCD shifting indicator. Rode back to shop on the same gear at 25mph. They are refunding the last repair charge, changing oil and filter tomorrow and calling Honda tech to get help. I also filed a case with Honda customer support. TBC.

Last edited:
Whisper in the dealer’s ear, “shifter pin, shifter pin, shifter pin . . . “

On the other hand, would you want this dealer disassembling the right side of the engine?

Last edited:
I sent them links to various forum threads I found on the shifter pin issues. They thank me for it but don’t seem to have investigate it further. Now, I am curious.... how come the bike shifts fine for 5 or 6 miles after a successful DCT reset? If the shifter pin was broken, a DCT reset wouldn’t matter no? And yes, I don’t want those guys to take it appart until they talk to Honda which is supposed to happen tmrw. Thx for your support :)

Back