• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT foot shift kit?

Anyone have one of these installed and care to comment - I am considering it as my fat fingers have trouble with the paddle shifters.

You know what would be really handy as well? An easily accessed switch to engage or disengage the rotation of the engine from the transmission.

:D

You know what would be really handy as well? An easily accessed switch to engage or disengage the rotation of the engine from the transmission.

:D

The lack of said switch is why I've shied away from DCT. But since the clutches are computer controlled, I don't see why it would be difficult to have an override switch to disengage both clutches on demand.

You'd think so, but the DCT won't go into N until it is stopped.

That's not quite the same thing. N would be a position of the shifter drum where no gearsets were engaged. The proposed clutch override switch would not necessarily step the shifter drum, but rather simply disengage which ever clutch was currently engaged, thereby disconnecting the crankshaft from the transmission input shaft. The transmission could remain engaged in whatever gear it was in, or automatically stepped as necessary to maintain the engine RPM range suitable for the road speed, in anticipation of clutch re-engagement.

Last edited:
What would be the purpose of such a switch?

It would serve the same overall purpose as DCT manual mode and manual +/- shift override. You would have greater control of the machine, but it’s use would not be required if you wanted full automatic operation.

It was suggested in post #5 perhaps as a bit of a joke, but I seriously would want such a thing. However, it’s getting way off the thread topic, so I’ll just leave it where it’s at.

Last edited:
I can't count the number of times I wanted to pull in a clutch on my DCT and coast - simply to do something with my throttle hand for a few seconds without decelerating. Nothing more complex than that...

I can't count the number of times I wanted to pull in a clutch on my DCT and coast - simply to do something with my throttle hand for a few seconds without decelerating. Nothing more complex than that...

Yep. That’s one big reason. Also, to smooth transition from off to on throttle when taking up the drive train slack in slower corners, etc, etc. Disengaging the clutch is used for a lot more than just shifting gears. But, that’s just how I like to ride.

Honda apparently saw it necessary to retain the operator’s manual control of gear selection on the DCT for marketing reasons, even though it’s an automatic transmission. But, they decided that riders would give up control of the clutch. I propose they have a little short one finger lever at the left grip that electrically signals for release of whichever clutch is engaged. I would especially would like this for off road riding.

Last edited:
Back