• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

D S1 S2 S3 Whats the difference

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went out tonight with paper and pen and documented when the computer upshifts. I slowly increased speed in all modes and was satisfied that the computer would not change to the next higher gear even if I was only 1 km per hour slower than the speeds below.

DS1S2S3

I then slowly decreased speed until there was a downshift in each mode.

DS1S2S3
1.jpg

Last edited:
The 2016 700 has the multiple S modes in addition to the one D mode.

Would be interesting if Honda offered a software upgrade to prior years to get those - I assume it's pretty much just a software issue in the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 DCTs in North America, 700s and 750s, have the third generation DCT that adds two S modes. S1, S2, S3 take the place of the single S mode on second generation DCTs. Europe has the upgraded transmission as well on 2016s.

I use the software between my ears together with my thumb and forefinger to create all kinds of custom shift points ;-)

Really don't understand the purpose of four different auto-shift algorithms (other than marketing hype) given that all DCTs can be shifted manually using two fingers and the engine is as peaky as Nebraska...

I mean really, this is a 500 lb, 45 hp commuting motorcycle, not a Yamaha R1 ;-)

Last edited:
I use the software between my ears together with my thumb and forefinger to create all kinds of custom shift points ;-)

Really don't understand the purpose of four different auto-shift algorithms (other than marketing hype) given that all DCTs can be shifted manually using two fingers and the engine is as peaky as Nebraska...

I mean really, this is a 500 lb, 45 hp commuting motorcycle, not a Yamaha R1 ;-)

Exactly.

Maybe it's a poor mans implementation of next generation features?

Now that I know the difference maybe I'll come across a situation where one S mode makes more sense than another S mode.

It goes to 11

Last edited:
That's an interesting table and on the face of it s3 looks no different to s2. But it feels it. I suspect their algorithm also checks speed of opening throttle and how far it's open. That would be a much more difficult table to build as you could never guarantee you were replicating throttle behaviour in each of the modes (except flag out wringing it's neck of course but then it would be tricky to write your results on the notepad on the tank )
Mike

How do the different S modes compare with the S mode of the previous version?
Do you know if the S mode of the 2014-15 makes changes in the same points for the 700 and 750 cc?

How do the different S modes compare with the S mode of the previous version?
Do you know if the S mode of the 2014-15 makes changes in the same points for the 700 and 750 cc?

S2 is supposed to equate to the previous models S mode
S3 is more aggressive and S1 closer to D-mode
Mike

I went out tonight with paper and pen and documented when the computer upshifts....

Futile exercise. DCT "learns" our riding style and adapts accordingly.

For example, my bike in S1 mode will not up-shift to 6th gear before 120 km/h.

Welllllllll, duh. Guess I fell asleep in class :( Too busy riding to be reading :rolleyes:Thx 670cc

I don't know the procedure and couldn't figure it out in the short time I demo rode a 2016 DCT, so the procedure is perhaps not intuitive. I'd guess once you learn it, it will make perfect sense.

I don't know the procedure and couldn't figure it out in the short time I demo rode a 2016 DCT, so the procedure is perhaps not intuitive. I'd guess once you learn it, it will make perfect sense.

Yes - it does make sense. Like most of the 'logic' on the 2016 bike, it is now very well thought out and they manage to put over a great deal of information in a very small display with very few control buttons. There are several things that are complicated - like changing the colours of the display, or changing from mpg to km/l - but all of these are things you can set in your garage with the owner's manual in your hand.
Changing the S modes is however very simple. You just hold the S mode button in for a second or two and it cycles to the next S mode. (The throttle has to be in the closed position for it to work though)
Mike

Changing the S modes is however very simple. You just hold the S mode button in for a second or two and it cycles to the next S mode. (The throttle has to be in the closed position for it to work though)

The "closed throttle" part is where I failed.

It's used to sell bikes are you ready to trade up lol

Back