• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Crash bars... again.

Which "Engine Guard" do you have?

• Givi

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • SW-MOECH

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

ricksride

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read I believe just about everything you guys have hashed out over the different brands of crash bars - engine guards - drunk bars, etc.

So, I've narrowed it down to two. Givi Tn1111 and SW-MOTECH.

What I would like to know is which of these has the: strongest, best mounting points or are they equal?

I can't edit the mis spelling in the poll. :mad:

Last edited:
I have SW Motech crash bars on my 2013 CB1100. I can personally attest they do a great job of protecting the bike. When I had to lay it down to avoid an inattentive cager, the bike suffered virtually no damage other than to the crash bar.

I have SW. After multiple get offs on the right side they have shifted but continue to protect the bike. I'd buy them again. On a valve check all I remove is the cross bar that connects the two sides. The main bars can stay on.

I've said all the long that crash bars will not save your bike in a heavy crash.
sliding along maybe but they are good in a light fall or slow speed off.
I know some will disagree but there ya go.

I am happy with the design of my Givis. However the paint on them is rubbish and will not withstand Salted roads in winter. The same applies to all Givi products as far as I am concerned, where they apply their standard black paint to steel parts. As far as I can see there is no undercoat and the paint is porous. Blistering and rust is the result.

I'd go for the SW-Motech bars. After my crash with them they saved the handlebars and plastics from any damage, but the crashbars got pushed in around 2 inches absorbing the blow. Definately an investment worth carrying out. But as said before, they only really work when the bike falls from a standstill or a very low speed.

I bought Kappa, which is a Givi brand (same product at lower prices), mainly to mount some lights and maybe cruise pegs. I was never really concerned about crash protection, because I don't intend to drop the bike :cool:. I don't think either the SW-Motech or the Givi/Kappa would protect the bike well in a significant crash, but maybe in a tip over. And with a tip over, I'd expect the crash bars to be sacrificially bent or shifted in position.

The Motechs had a problem at one time with mounting holes not lining up. The Givi/Kappa has some instances of being built wrong and one side won't mount straight (mine included), so the quality control seems to be similar.

Last edited:
So apparently those of us who are concerned about crash protection have bad intentions. :p

I made no attempt to judge the intentions of others, only my own.

I see what you're saying, though. :). "Expect" might be more appropriate than "intend". However I've only dropped a street bike at standstill or low speed three times in 27 years so I "expect" not to drop my NC700X. However, today could be the day.

don't the givi's have an intermediate frame clamp on the horizontal run. probably makes it "stiffer" with increased chance of frame damage

don't the givi's have an intermediate frame clamp on the horizontal run. probably makes it "stiffer" with increased chance of frame damage

The Givi/Kappa does have a center tab clamped directly to the frame. That is partly why I went with them as they appeared to be solid in that area, as opposed to just hanging out there and folding over on impact.

If the impact is severe enough to bend the frame, I don't think crash bars are going to help much.

I bought the SW Motechs this spring and had trouble with the mounting holes. Sent them back and bought The Givis.

I am also on the fence about crash bars! Love the look of the Hepco & Becker but I want to install high pegs so I am leaning towards the SW-Motech

Back