• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Continental Motion Tires: Best Price

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just reset my computer and wiped out all my book marks.
Does anyone remember what place had the best price for a set of Continental Motion Tires?

that's It! (as Charlie Brown was famous for exclaiming.)

Thank you for the quick reply. I've emailed it to myself so it will remain with me on my email server.

It's getting near time to replace the Continentals. 12K for them is about as much as you get for highway riding.

It's also time for sprockets and chain after 14K (not 16K miles) like last time.

It's probably cheaper to operate the NC... than a car... but sometimes...it doesn't feel like it! :)

Last edited:
Curious on how your judging or determining you need a chain and sprockets again at 14k ?

One of the links is binding. When I put the rear wheel up on a stand and rotate the rear wheel by hand, it catches on the link and makes the rotation uneven... not a continuous smooth motion any more. I've tried twisting that link with two sets of pliers and oiling it with WD40, but it continues to resist.

I suppose one sticky link doesn't mean that I couldn't go for a while longer....

The sprockets look fine... even toothed all the way around.... but I'm wondering about the wisdom of ALWAYS replacing chain/sprockets at the same time.... can we revisit that question?
It's $60 to replace the JT sprockets... every time... I wonder what the rest of you do regarding sprockets.

Your right...........We have down this road before...........but my vote is still sprockets every other chain, especially at lower mileage and sticky links is the reason for replacement. Once the sprocket teeth are "hook worn" that a key indicator they are done.

Your right...........We have down this road before...........but my vote is still sprockets every other chain, especially at lower mileage and sticky links is the reason for replacement. Once the sprocket teeth are "hook worn" that a key indicator they are done.

I was thinking sprockets every other new chain as well. The sprocket teeth look fine.

"hook worn" .. what does this mean? I usually watch sprocket teeth. When they are all the same size, height, and flat on top (uniformly), that means the sprocket is still in good shape. When the teeth are noticably different from eachother...it's really time to replace.

I will examine the teeth for those shapes.
If they are fine, then I think I'll put the new chain on the old sprockets, and hold the new sprockets in reserve.
Let's see how long the JT brand steel sprockets will go!

I have put in thousands of miles on road bikes. That photo is for a bicycle chain ring. I can guess that the wear would show up the same, but I wouldn't presume that.

Still.. you're right about looking up a "wear" picture.

Last edited:
This is the first street bike I have put any significant mileage on and at 12k the sprockets still look like new. In my dune riding days, it was not uncommon for a sprocket to look like this after two good seasons.
rear_sprocket_closeup.jpg

Dune sand really eats at moving parts. Non-o-ring chains would last a weekend or two. O-ring chains and front sprockets usually lasted a season. Back sprockets two seasons. This was on a Yamaha Banshee with the sprocket unprotected and grinding in the sand constantly.

'Round these parts, the local Motorcycle mechanic charges $80 to mount and balance. Is that the same where you are?

Cycle gear here will do it for $25 a wheel if it's off the bike. I have spoons and do it myself

Does Cyclegear balance them too?

(Yes I know I could call cycle gear and ask them, but for the same of public discussion... I'm asking the question here, so others can read it.)

Just ordered two tires from American Motorcycle Tire. I first noticed that Competition Accessories advertised "Lowest Tire Prices Online". Well, no, American was cheaper. So I called Competition Accessories and they would simply match American. We learned on Sesame Street that there are comparative and superlative adjectives (big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest, etc). So, simply matching a price does not make it superlative, as in "lowest prices". I hung up with CA and gave my business to the vendor with the best prices, American.

I'm kind of embarrassed to say but I paid $357 for front/rear and install on my Contimotions. I really needed tires....
I will have an extra set on hand BEFORE I need, next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: 4 Oct 2014

The sprockets and chain arrived, and I took the front drive sprocket off and held it side by side with the brand new one. They were so identical, it would be hard to tell them apart....except that the used one has the paint worn off where it contacts the chain.

I decided to put the new chain on (rivet link, not clip) and see what happens.
My guess is that the sprockets need changing every other 14K miles not EVERY time I replace the chain.

How will I know? Well it seems to me that if I get exactly the same mileage (14K) or so from this chain on USED sprockets, then there's no need to change the sprockets every time. For me, 14K is average. The chain on there now is my 3rd D.I.D. VX20 114 links 520 pitch (gold color).
didchain.jpg
If the chain lasts appreciably less than 14K (say 10K) then I will conclude that re-using sprockets this way is not a good idea.
I will find this post and update it when it's time.

Back