• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Comparing Side Racks?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very close to getting a set of panniers (Pelican 1550's) for my NC and the option to use either Givi, SW-Motech or Hepco-Becker side racks and have a couple of questions.

Which of the racks fit closest to the NC? The 1550's are big and I'd like to keep the width down as much as possible.

I like the price of the Givi's but what am I giving up versus the SW-Motech or Hepco-Becker?

Thanks in advance!

belrix

Wont help with the width but when I was researching panniers one of the vendors, think it was a Pelican vendor, ranked the racks for strength and quality.
1st their own
2nd SW Motech
3rd Hepco
4th Givi

I went SW Motech because they have adapters for a lot of different panniers and a lot of pannier manufacturers have adapters for SWMotech.

I just purchased pelican cases with side rack mounts and case liners from caribou cases.

Caribou uses hepco becker rather than others, noting they have larger bolts and a bit thicker frame. They say HB is a bit sturdier than others, which is why they use them.

I can let you know what I think about the cases and take a few pictures once they arrive.

Last edited:
Decided to support the a guy making panniers in his home shop in Washington. Solobox. Great price and can adapt to most frames out there. They're about 38 ltr., powder coated with nice latches and a pair go for under $400 without mounting racks.

Last edited:
I only had the Givi ones on my NC. They were plenty sturdy and since the capacity of panniers is far less than the racks can support I don't see the need for stronger ones or bigger bolts. What some others offer is quick release or removable racks which is a nice feature. On the other hand the Givis allowed easy yet out of the way permanent mounting locations for tool tubes which were handy for me.

The SW-Motech side racks stick out a long way. There is a lot of wasted space behind them. I have them and they're nice, but the width is not one of their good points.

Mine aren't mounted now or else I'd get you a width measurement.

Back