• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Commuting Advice

MAJikMARCer

Reaction score
Visit site
May be looking at a new job where I'll be commuting soon. (working from home currently) I'd like to commute with my bike as much as I can. Thankfully the frunk takes care of the helmet, but what do you other commuters do with your gear?

Do you wear it into the office and change there? Do you just wear your work clothes on the bike?

What about rain gear? I don't think it would be a problem riding home as I could hang up the wet gear once I get home, but what about TO work?

My ride is about 20 minutes with speeds from 25-45, so nothing nuts, but I've latched onto the ATGATT philosophy. That said walking into the office every morning looking like a stormtrooper doesn't sound particularly appealing either.

I need advice.

I think it mostly depends on your workplace. I commute on my NC every day to the office, walk in wearing my riding clothes and change there. It's no big deal, in fact I end up getting to know more people in the building than I otherwise would. It seems like everybody either has a bike, knows somebody who has a bike, or just wants to ask what it's like to ride a bike. Looking different gives people an excuse to strike up a conversation with you.

My statement isn't going to help so why am I typing you ask? I personally could not live with my trunk. I put my helmet and gear in the trunk. I save the frunk for all the little stuff like my phone, safety glasses for work, office keys, and junk like that. Junk in the frunk. LOL

Here is the part that won't help you. I have my own little cage at work. Yes it is literally a 10' x 20' x 12' cain link cage where all my parts and tool are located. I walk through the plant with my wet gear and place my wet items on the two hangers I keep so that the stuff can dry. The first week or so everyone looked at me strange but now it is normal for them to see me this way and I'm not so sure they even notice me anymore. What I won't do is leave it in my bike. Still getting hot during that day. Hot and wet don't mix well.

Good thing is I don't deal with a ton of wet days so I normally strip in the parking lot and put all my gear in the trunk.

IF the weather is above 50F (working on heated gear for next year) I ride to work if it is not raining when I leave. If the threat of severe thunderstorms is great I wont' ride. I don't mind riding home in the rain though.

I actually don't commute on the NC. I have a Honda PCX Scooter that works great, with a internal belt drive keeping it out of the wet.

Anyways, Yes my work is aware I ride. I hang my stuff on the post near my office cubical. I take my helmet inside. On cold rides I bring a lot of gear, such as turtle neck, balaclava, thick gloves, thermal layer under pants, boots. I carry my office attire in the scooter and change when I get to work.

In your situation a 1 or 2 piece over suit would be ideal. It would be like getting to work, unzipping out of the armor shell and walk in with your suit on. For hot weather, this may be a problem someone else could help you solve.

Thankfully I'm not going to have to wear a suit 'n tie. (I've made it a personal rule never to work for a company where that'd be required.) I even think jeans may be acceptable much of the time, so that'll work nicely.

I never thought about how the gear might strike up conversations with other coworkers. That's not a bad thing really, especially if i'm going to be the new guy. I think the problem is, at this point, wet gear. I wouldn't have a place to hang it and I would have a cube near the IT guys building PCs and Servers, so I really doubt they'd want me walking in all wet. I may just have to avoid wet days as much as possible.

Thankfully I'm not going to have to wear a suit 'n tie. (I've made it a personal rule never to work for a company where that'd be required.) I even think jeans may be acceptable much of the time, so that'll work nicely.

I never thought about how the gear might strike up conversations with other coworkers. That's not a bad thing really, especially if i'm going to be the new guy. I think the problem is, at this point, wet gear. I wouldn't have a place to hang it and I would have a cube near the IT guys building PCs and Servers, so I really doubt they'd want me walking in all wet. I may just have to avoid wet days as much as possible.

I work in a cubicle as well, but we have a cloak room at work where I store all my gear. I leave an extra pair of shoes there that I can change into and just hand my coat and pants up. Sometimes the helmet goes in the frunk, other times it goes in the cloak room. Our cloak room has a security camera which is recorded so I am not too concerned about stuff disappearing. As for the shoes, they are nothing special so if they decide to walk away on their own, no big loss.

Even if you don't have a cloak room, there must be a janitors closet or something which maybe you can politely ask if it is ok for you to hang your coat when wet.

J...

I wear full gear into the office over my clothes and either bring shoes or leave a pair in the cube. No big deal to take off the jacket, pants, and change shoes at my desk.

I have a 72 mile commute each way and when it rains it pours so I have my normal gear with a rain suit on top of that. Our office is casual, heck the president wears flip flops so I just wear my normal clothes underneath. My personal office is really huge so I just wear my gear in and take it off in my room. Hang it up and go to work.

Coworkers can get used to seeing a storm trooper much more easily than you can get used to road rash. Don't worry what you look like. The comments only last a couple of days.

Most people wear ATGATT and change to working clothes at office.
One idea is to buy Aerostich 1 piece which means it covers up your office clothes, wind proof, and water proof.
It is costly, though.
A good pair of office shoes to change into when you reach.

Good luck.

Being fortunate to live in San Diego, I ride to work nearly every day -- a 95 mile round trip commute. I've been doing that
primarily on an '09 Ninja 250 (58K miles since new) but increasingly I'm riding my NC700X. We can lane split here, and the
little Ninja can squeeze through traffic a little better than the NC, hence I still primarily ride the Ninja to work but the NC was
purchased as an early replacement for the Ninja will soon be my primary commuter.

I'll wear riding boots and keep a pair of dressier shoes at the office. I'll wear my work clothes with motorcycle 'over pants'
(either mesh or water/wind proof depending on the weather) that slide off as I change from the MC boots to shoes. MC jacket
(mesh or solid again depending on weather) and Icon Stryker chest/back protection go over my work shirt. Even with the NC's
frunk, I still bring the helmet inside so it doesn't get hot sitting in the frunk on warm SoCal days. Lunch, mail/papers,
checkbook, etc that might need to make the trip with me will go in a backpack which can be stored in the frunk if I want to
stop somewhere on the way home and not wear the backpack into the restaurant or store. If I know I have errands to run
on any given work day, then I'll definitely take the NC.

I still enjoy the reaction from people when I stop somewhere to pick up breakfast or lunch and walk out to the bike with a big old
soda cup and bag of food. You can tell they are wondering how I'm going to ride with it -- then surprise them as I pop the frunk,
drop the goodies in and ride off.

Riding has made the commute something to look forward to. I particularly enjoy one little stretch of Interstate going through
Escondido where a commercial bakery creates amazing aromas that you don't get to smell in a cage. I get a couple hundred
yards of trying to figure out if I was smelling cake, cookies, bread...

I ride in full gear daily. As others have mentioned, those around you find it pretty cool you ride a bike. Many people have approached me to talk about "riding" that never would have otherwise. It seems that I know more people now since I started commuting on the bike. I take the helmet off at the bike so it's not too stormtropper looking. I hit the gym at work each day swinging by the cafe to get a cup of coffee.

I use a top case to store gear inside - computer, warmer riding gear & office closes as I need both here by the Ocean at Santa Cruz. I use the frunk for odds and ends - and a charger for the phone. Space it tight on the bike and I hope to add some side cases Trekker 33's to be precise before winter.

I keep 2 pair of shoes at work to cut down on the space requirement. I have limited area to keep things in my office without being an eye sore (sit next the VP and GM of my company). Many companies try to cater to the creative commuters (will not say green) and they may be accommodating for a location to hang up your gear. You just might get access to a storage closet or something. (I would in touchy feel-ly Silicon Valley and it's very friendly to this sort of stuff)

This is like many things we do in life. Make it work for you without pushing it with those around you.

I stash my work shoes in the frunk for the ride there and walk them inside while still wearing all my gear. I strip at my desk while my computer boots up. I keep my frunk as empty as possible for the occasional grocery store visit on the way home.

May be looking at a new job where I'll be commuting soon. (working from home currently) I'd like to commute with my bike as much as I can. Thankfully the frunk takes care of the helmet, but what do you other commuters do with your gear?

Do you wear it into the office and change there? Do you just wear your work clothes on the bike?

What about rain gear? I don't think it would be a problem riding home as I could hang up the wet gear once I get home, but what about TO work?

My ride is about 20 minutes with speeds from 25-45, so nothing nuts, but I've latched onto the ATGATT philosophy. That said walking into the office every morning looking like a stormtrooper doesn't sound particularly appealing either.

I need advice.

I have a Givi E55 Maxia and V35 panniers for my gear. If its nice out, I store my helmet and Jacket in the trunk.
If its rainy or freezing cold out, I wear all my gear in and hang it up where I work.
Rain gear, fishing pole and pants gets stored in my left pannier. Tools, compressor and lubes get the right side.

My commute is ~80 miles round trip. I ride most days, although I ride less when it's above 110F, or below somewhere between 35 & 40F (that's freezing cold to us 'Zonies! :) ). I have all the Honda hard luggage for my bike, but I generally only mount either the trunk/top case or the saddlebags; not both.

I ride to work, take my lunch and things in, and take off my 1-piece suit. Work clothes are underneath. I am fortunate to have a private office with my position/job. If I did not have that, I would change in the locker room and leave my riding clothes in there.

People did look and ask questions or start conversation at first, but now it's just 'normal' to see me in gear. I even have an LD Comfort turtleneck shirt I wet down in one of the showers before I leave during hot weather, but apart from being wet it's still just 'normal.'

I don't know your work situation, but for me I'm not terribly concerned with whether people think I look odd at first. Pretty much everyone at work is basically good, and will at most just start conversation over it.

I had an office when I commuted over 50 miles each way. My riding gear just goes over my work clothes so I just changed shoes and hung the gear in my office.
Working in Downtown Denver always involved public transport and no bike. (I lived close to light rail or an express buss)
I commuted from Denver to Cheyenne for a while and didn't ride since I had to spend the week in a hotel and carried so much gear.
I never even thought about getting cases & racks for the VFR. Silly me.
I guess I've never had to worry about riding gear and a cubicle.

I use the 30/30 rule when I commute. I don't ride if the wind is over 30mph or the temp is below 30F when I leave the house. I have a 50 mile one way commute and I am a suit. I usually have a couple suite coats in my office but wear everything else under my riding gear. If it's over 75 in the morning I will wear shorts under mesh and change when I get to work. Same thing on the way home if it's over 80 I wear shorts. On really hot day I only wear a leather vest instead of an armored jacket. I alway have a half helmet and a full helmet with me in case the weather changes. I have it figured out to where I can get by with the frunk, and givi hard bags. I do want to get a topcase just to make things a bit easier.

I have over pants gear so office stuff under riding gear. Wear it into the office and hang it up. I have left it in my top box but it gets hot in the sun. My lunchbox goes in the frunk.

Gigs

Still a number of unknowns, such as where I'll be parking and how far from the office. It's a downtown location, so parking may in a garage and then walking a block or two.

Back