• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Colorado Back Country Discovery Route 2015

Thanks for the great report and photos, now that was an adventure! Could you say which tires and sizes you were on, explain about the fork extenders, and where you got the front fender riser?

Ray

I’m running the stock size 120/70 in the front. The only knobbyish tire available in that size is the TKC80. On the rear I’m running 150/70. That is a taller, larger diameter, tire than the stock size. There is a selection of tires available in that size. Currently I’m running the Mitas E07 Dakar. The Dakar version is 4ply and the standard is 2ply. I may go with the 2ply next time. The 4ply is heavy and a bear to spoon on. I really like the E07. Probably not as much ultimate grip off-road as a Kenda Big Block but it lasts a long time, is quieter, brakes a lot better, and while it does slide a little easier in gravel it is a very controlled and enjoyable slide whereas the Big Block would do a very jerky slide n grab slide n grab.

Note on the rear: The larger diameter 150/70 changes the gear ratio higher. It works until you start climbing hills or going slow in technical stuff. To get back to stock ratio you need to go up 2-3 teeth in the rear. 2 is a tab higher than stock and 3 is a tad lower. I went with 2 but next time I think I’ll go 3. You can also drop the front 1 tooth as 1 front tooth roughly equals 3 rear teeth. Once I was out there and after the first day I also dropped the front down a tooth. With the higher elevation and hill climbs she was struggling until I dropped the front a tooth. So to summarize I went up 2 teeth in the rear to get back close to stock and then down a tooth in the front to get a lower ratio than stock.

Fork extenders. There is thread on them. They are popular on cruisers and there is a Honda cruiser with the same diameter forks so the extenders for it work on the NC. Basically it is an aluminum cylinder that screws in place of the fork caps so the forks can ride lower in the triple tree which lifts the front. I used 1 inch extenders. They don’t give you more travel. Just lift the front higher. There is just enough brake line length for that and the 2 inch rox risers but I really need to get a longer line so there is some wiggle room. Down side is you can’t get to the internals of the fork without loosening the triple clamps and sliding the forks up to expose the extenders so you can unscrew them. Also can’t use preload adjusters with them.

Fender lift. There is a thread on that. The TKC80 in stock size doesn’t require a fender lift. I was running the Shinko 705 which at the time was only available in a 130/80. That required lifting the fender for it to fit. I went with max lift which is why I have the fork extenders because the fender would rub on the SWMotech crash bar’s connecting cross bar. Why did I want max lift? Low fenders can pack with mud and lock up the front tire. With the TKC80 and the max lift I have around 2 inches of clearance between the tire and fender whereas the stock fender height has maybe ½ inch clearance. The lift is just using some mending straps from the hardware store and a few bolts/nuts. Cheap and easy mod.

What side bags and top bag are you using? They look great! How did they work?

I'm using Mosko Moto Mosko Moto | Mosko Moto Store Back Country 35L side bags and 40L top (duffle) bag. They are a new company and I love their stuff. Got the setup about this time last year from their first production run and haven't had an issue. One of the BMW guys used the Mosko Reckless 80L system. It is new for this year and they have had a couple of design and manufacturing issues with it but they are standing behind it and fixing it. Brad had the stitching separate and another issue. Took pics and emailed them. They emailed back the next day with options for him to take it to a local shop to have it fixed and they would reimburse him or they would pay for him to ship it back to them and they would fix it. Great customer service and they stand behind their product. They built it to be abused and want you to abuse it.

That is a heck of an adventure! Thanks much for posting it I really enjoyed the commentary and pictures.

I've seen Bama's Mosko bags. They are excellent quality. Best soft bags I've ever seen. I can't imagine any other brand being better - just different.

I wasn't happy with the choices. Try the muddy middle but figured I'd wind up sliding into a rut and then have to try to get the bike out. Eric and Brad had that happen taking the middle line.. The ruts were deep enough that I wasn't sure my foot pegs would clear. The left had grass and some tire tracks from some riders ahead of us so that seemed like the better option. I was ready to bail off the bike to the right if needed. Pucker factor was high!

I wasn't happy with the choices. Try the muddy middle but figured I'd wind up sliding into a rut and then have to try to get the bike out. Eric and Brad had that happen taking the middle line.. The ruts were deep enough that I wasn't sure my foot pegs would clear. The left had grass and some tire tracks from some riders ahead of us so that seemed like the better option. I was ready to bail off the bike to the right if needed. Pucker factor was high!

Ayeeeyiyiyi!!!

Great video. Thanks.

I am not strong enough for that stuff any more.

Pucker, adds excitement and makes for great videos. And when you tell the story later it can be like a fish tale, just keeps getting better. Love videos, thanks for sharing.

Day 2 video. It was hard to edit this one down to a somewhat reasonable length. So much beautiful scenery and riding.

[video=youtube;ZvPuIfxB9WI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPuIfxB9WI[/video]

Is any of that route part of the TAT?

I'm always thinking "what if" when I'm far away from home. Sometimes, it interferes with enjoying the ride. Of course my "what ifs" are not flat tires or dead batteries (I've got those covered). My "what ifs" are major malfunctions.
After a few thousand miles I finally sit back and relax.
Great RR, Matt!

Awesome vids!

What camera are you using to film? I like the fact that your helmet isn't in the frame, wish I could figure out how to mount my Contour to keep my helmet out of frame.

brian

On the cheapo camera I bought the lense is supposedly 140°. Taking still pics it is pretty wide (not measured)
At 720P and 60 frames per second it is 60°. At least that is what is captured. At 1080P and 30fps it captures 90°. These were measured.
Go figure.
But at $65. instead of $300.+ and English/communication difficulties, I have not bothered to pursue it.

Day 3 which was Section 3 for us. This is the deep sand and then Cumberland Pass.

[video=youtube;q41TXfvRqw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q41TXfvRqw4[/video]

Back