• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cleaning and Such

I just dab gear oil on any potential rusty spot and cold water brush off mud for mot or tyre changes...absolutly no point here in rural Scotland to do anymore...unless you really got nothing else to do!

For the matte finish plastic near the frunk, is there anything special you use to UV protect/clean it that is different from the shiny plastics? The seller managed to scratch it with the key when he was showing it and I'm hoping for something to cover that up :/

For the matte finish plastic near the frunk, is there anything special you use to UV protect/clean it that is different from the shiny plastics? The seller managed to scratch it with the key when he was showing it and I'm hoping for something to cover that up :/
Take them off and spray with plastic dip.

S100 total cycle cleaner. Spray down bike (In the shade) wait a minute or so and rinse with hose. Wipe dry with microfiber towels and then Bike Spirits spray cleaner polish (Same as Honda spray cleaner polish) Lemon pledge works great on matte finish plastic.

Hmmm...plasti dip huh? I probably won't get around to that as a project until summer. In the meantime I'll give the S100, Bike Spirits, and Lemon pledge a try. I might also try some of the Pro Honda motorcycle cleaner and polish mention in previous posts.

I am a little fastidious/OCD with my bike and how clean it is. I'm probably in the minority here, as I do not ride in the rain (two minutes, by suprise, 20 years ago). My NC is a good-weather, weekend fun bike, sometimes I will take it to work for a change up.

Because of this, I do not wet-wash by bike. Bugs and grime are cleaned off with a terrycloth towel with water or mild Windex type cleaner. Then, about everything else, with exception of wheels and tires, is sprayed and wiped down with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer. This works fantastic. It is good on painted as well as all of the matte finished plastic, seats, lights...you name it. It does ok on wheels too, but I usually use WD-40 as it pulls up the brake dust and any chain lube on the rear wheel. I do this every time I ride, then cover, in the garage, with an inexpensive cover - just to keep the dust off.

2-3 times a year I will wax any painted surfaces, light lenses, windscreen with Zymol cleaner wax. My favorite wax for my bike and vehicles. Love the stuff.

I rode with others who had motorcycles of all types, who were all the same with regard to cleanliness/polishing. We would ride several hours for a weekend stay, then the next morning everyone would detail their bikes. That evening, we would enjoy our beverages, checking each-others rides out, and share tales aplenty. A couple of these guys are no longer with me. I guess their detailing bug stuck around, and I keep it going. Kind of like paying homage to days and men that have passed.

Meguiars-Ultimate-Quik-Detailer-22-oz_.jpgzymol.jpg

I hand wash when I get around to it. I have used a clear finish by the name of ICE by Turtle Wax. It's a wipe on synthetic clear polish and a spray "detailer" that I used to use on my Candy Apple Red 2003 Honda Silver Wing. I would never, ever put anything on a tire that is supposed to make it shiny. Shiny = smooth and slippery. Even being careful and only doing the sidewalls I wouldn't do it out fear of whatever you put on the sidewalls would migrate to the contact area of the tread. Keep the shiny stuff for show bikes.

Last edited:
I go riding in the rain.

But if it has to go into the shop i'll hose it down with the garden hose and use a sponge/soft broom to get everything off.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but can someone point me in the direction of a good chain lube comparison thread? I'm at 225 miles now and am thinking that it likely needs it. The PO had never lubed the chain and the dealer was derelict of their duties to out the door maintenance. I have zero experience with chained bikes and my dad's last experience with chains is on a 1974 CB550. :p The dealer (now under new ownership) recommended polaris chain lube and said that they use it on everything because it's "just better" than the honda stuff. From what I could find on it, it does not have moly (good thing or bad thing, I do not know). Unfortunately, this new ownership also owns every other motorcycle shop in town now and the walmarts don't have the dupont stuff.

So consensus is that it probably doesn't matter too much and the polaris stuff will likely do the job about as well as anything else? If anyone has a video or tutorial for how to actually clean the chain on the NC with a sidestand I'd be very appreciative!

I don't have a video or a tutorial and I only have a side stand. I block the front wheel (concrete block or anything heavy will work) so the bike doesn't roll forward, put bike in neutral, leave bike on side stand, use a little 2 ton floor jack (car jack will work), place it under the shock, jack it up just enough to get rear tire off the ground. Now I can spin the tire and clean/lube the chain.

Hi Everyone!

I have a question in regards to washing NC.
At the moment, I own a scooter and I simply use pressure washers. I hose the machine from 3 meters away at least, so what really gets on the machine is more like a light shower than direct pressure. I only keep the jet closer when cleaning rims so that the high pressure can clean them up.

How does it work on NC? I saw that in some places, cables and plugs are fairly exposed (like on the right-hand side, just behind the engine, above the gearbox) so I'm wondering if you didn't have any issues with these getting wet?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Last edited:
Hi after some time off :D

In case anyone wonders the same question, you can easily wash NC with pressure washers - I did that once without directly applying high-pressure stream of water, just washing it from safe distance, and had no electrical issues at all. But be weary, tires may get a little slippery after that, I had a little slide when driving out of the car wash - no falling over, just a minor grip loss for a blink-of-an-eye moment, and then all returned to normal.

I have another question though - any of you guys owning white NC? I have hard time keeping those white elements clean as some things just won't give up to pressure washing or delicate water and soap cleaning. Is there anything that you use to clean these white plastic panels? Cheers!

Back