• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain & Sprocket (?) Inspection

TigerDude

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going through all the maintenance intervals filling in a new iPhone app (Bikeminder for UK & bikeminder-US for the States), which I really like.

For the 600 mile chain inspect & lube, (600 in service manual,500 in the owner's manual, but too hard to do every 2.5 fill-ups) the service manual includes sprocket inspection in the Drive Chain section. This means removing the "left rear cover," the plastic thing hiding the front sprocket

This means taking off the shifter assembly, and when putting it back together, replacing the "gearshift arm pinch bolt" with a new one (P/N 90010-MLO-720 if you care).

Really? I assume that 1) no one is inspecting the front sprocket every 600 miles, and further 2) when they are, they aren't putting a new bolt on the shifter.

Or am I over-thinking the whole thing?

I looked at my original front sprocket closely for the first time at 19,000 miles. I even removed it at 21,000 miles and held it up against a new sprocket. The perceptible wear was so minimal I reinstalled the original sprocket. Maybe I'll change it at 30,000 miles or the next chain replacement (35,000?).

What I'm getting at is there is no need to check the sprocket at an early mileage. And I doubt anyone, myself included, replaces the shift linkage pinch bolt.

Last edited:
I'm sure I will die in a fiery crash because of it, but I have ignorantly reused the original clamp bolt. I inspect the front sprocket just prior to tossing it in the metal recycle bin when replacing the chain. I only look at it in order to gauge my chain alignment effectiveness. I always change the front sprocket with a new chain, but after inspection will often go two chains on the rear sprocket.

I've had the gear shifter off a gillion times and never replaced the pinch bolt. Same with the caliper bolts. As for replacing the front sprocket, it is relatively cheap so I replace it with the chain even though it isn't that worn.

I changed mine at 20,000 miles only because I bought a replacement chain and sprockets as a kit. The front sprocket was still in good shape nut changed it anyway.

I am getting ready to replace mine in the next week or so (when I have enough time) and will be replacing all 3. I ended up going with the following.
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTSK1035 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit: Automotive

As to inspecting everything, I do clean and apply chain wax ever 600 or so miles (more if I am on a trip) and look for kinks and check for stretching. After 12000 miles this year, I am just going to go ahead and replace them all. Sprockets probably dont need to be, didnt appear to be worn, but everything is coming off anyway.

I am getting ready to replace mine in the next week or so (when I have enough time) and will be replacing all 3. I ended up going with the following.
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTSK1035 520X1R2 Chain and 16 Front/43 Rear Tooth Sprocket Kit: Automotive

You could install that chain/sprocket kit you listed, but it will change your gearing. If you want to stick with the stock sizes, the DCT uses a 39 tooth rear sprocket and 112 link chain. See FAQ post 4: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/6952-nc700-faq-how-please-read-before-posting-questions.html

Back