• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain/Sprocket Advice (Is this a good deal?)

vodapas

Reaction score
Visit site
Well,

Even though I'm no road warrior, my chain has got a lot of tight spots or loose spots depending how you look at it. Admittedly, this may be self inflicted as I did a road trip this Summer with the chain too tight. I'm a chain noob. My first two bikes were belt driven. Ok, fault admitted. Point is, I think it's time to start anew with a fresh chain. I've searched the forums and I've found D.I.D. X-chains to come highly recommended. Oddly, googling for NC700 chains hasn't turned up a lot. (Odd since it's a top selling bike in Europe.) Regardless, I did find this on ebay:

Honda NC700X '12 13 Did Gold x Ring Premium Chain and Sprockets Kit Japan Steel | eBay

So, right type of chain. But, I haven't been able to find a lot about JT Sprockets. To those of you wise in the way of the chain, I'd appreciate your input. First, are JT sprockets reputable? Second, if they are is this package a good deal?

Thanks!

$_57.jpg

Last edited:
I'm planning on ordering sprockets from JT when I need them. I think a lot of folks on this forum have.

You can't search for "JT" with the forum search as it doesn't like short words, but if you plug 'site:nc700-forum.com jt sprockets' (without the quotes) into google, it'll turn up all the relevant threads.

I'm planning on ordering sprockets from JT when I need them. I think a lot of folks on this forum have.

You can't search for "JT" with the forum search as it doesn't like short words, but if you plug 'site:nc700-forum.com jt sprockets' (without the quotes) into google, it'll turn up all the relevant threads.

Thanks for the tip!

JT sprockets are good. They are stock on many bikes.

As for the chain deal in your link, you could probably find a better price. You can buy a black VX2 for $71.90 on Amazon with free shipping. So unless you really want gold (it's just a chain), then the black one can save you a few bucks. Then you can buy the 2 sprockets for surely less than $95 and you've done better than that package deal.

You may not need a new rear sprocket yet if you're still on your original chain. The front you could inspect and determine if replacement is needed. What you could do is go ahead and buy a new front sprocket and use it to compare to the original one. Then you can judge the wear, and hold off until next time or change it now.

Some people aren't comfortable with the clip type master link included with the chain. So, in addition to either deal, you may want to buy the Rivet link separately. It's a: DID 520VX2 RIVET CL Rivet-Style X-Ring Chain Connecting Link, and it's about $8. You'll also need a rivet tool. Cycle Gear sells them. Also, Motion Pro makes a nice one (PBR Tool).

Last edited:
X Ring Chain - NC700X/XA/SA DID Prostreet VX X-Ring. DID 520VX2 X 114FB. Mfg# 520VX2X114FB. Tucker Rocky # 122730.
X Ring Chain - NC700XD DID Prostreet VX X-Ring Did 520VX2 X 112FB. Mfg# 520VX2X112FB. Tucker Rocky # 122728

Chain Link Rivet -12-2703 Tucker Rocky

NC700XD Rear Sprocket - 39 Tooth
NC700X Rear Sprocket - JT 43 Tooth - JTR1303 Tucker Rocky # 249009
Front Sprocket – JT 16 Tooth – JTF1373

AFAM Front Sprocket – 16 Tooth - #20617

Drive Chain Slack NC700X/XA/XD - 30 TO 40 MM (1.2 TO 1.6 in.)
NC700SA - 25 TO 35 MM (1 TO 1.4 in)

Any dealership can get though Tucker Rocky or can order on line at:
http://sprocketcenter.com/street-sp...i-d-x-ring-chain-honda-nc-700x-2012-2013.html

Tip: take of front sprocket off first. With every thing in place put a piece of wood into rear wheel and it must be long enough to catch the swing arm on both sides. (Broom Handle) This will allow you to remove the front sprocket without a special tool.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys! I think a big part of the problem is my ignorance of the universality of chains and sprockets. I've been looking for some easy answer that says "NC700X" on it rather than looking for the cheapest prices on the individual components.

Greg - No I definitely am not set on gold and I love me some Amazon (Prime Member!) I'm sure the clips work fine. But, to me the rivet type master link does seem like it would make you more confident of the chain's integrity. As for the tool, I have it on good authority Santa is bringing me the Motion Pro PBR tool the same day I should be bringing you the cowl with the wind deflectors. LOL

Some people aren't comfortable with the clip type master link included with the chain. So, in addition to either deal, you may want to buy the Rivet link separately

+1 !!!! I would not use a clip type master link, a rivet type link is much better and safe

And this is why I love this forum! I just found all of the items in the ebay link I posted plus a rivet type master link (which would of been $11 from the ebay vendor) on Amazon. Total cost? $125.61! Now I'm not a math guy. But, pretty sure the gents above just saved this ignorant guy around-abouts $51. Oh and that's not mentioning the ebay link listed a 38 tooth rear sprocket. My NC700XA needs (as Old Can Ride pointed me to) a 43 tooth. So um yeah, this forum rocks! Thank you all!

Oops, make that saved me $42. Forgot Amazon has to charge me sales tax now. Oh well, still $42 I can blow elsewhere!

I could get your stuff tax free and smuggle it across the border. :cool:

I could get your stuff tax free and smuggle it across the border. :cool:

Really? Amazon doesn't have a warehouse there? I just assumed they had to have some kind of operation up in Chicagoland.

And yet, my parents are still not Prime customers. Tsk, tsk.

Really? Amazon doesn't have a warehouse there? I just assumed they had to have some kind of operation up in Chicagoland.

And yet, my parents are still not Prime customers. Tsk, tsk.

No Amazon here yet, although I've heard talk of a possibility in the future. Companies don't want to do business in this corrupt, near bankrupt state.

I'm sure the clips work fine. But, to me the rivet type master link does seem like it would make you more confident of the chain's integrity. As for the tool, I have it on good authority Santa is bringing me the Motion Pro PBR tool.

Now you have done it. You started another clip link vs rivet link discussion. :mad:

Might as well go back and read the oil thread.

Chain - NC700X/XA/SA DID Prostreet VX X-Ring. DID 520VX2 X 114FB. Mfg# 520VX2X114FB. Tucker Rocky # 122730.
NC700XD DID Prostreet VX X-Ring Did 520VX2 X 112FB. Mfg# 520VX2X112FB. Tucker Rocky # 122728

Chain Link -12-2703 Tucker Rocky

Rear Sprocket - JT 43 Tooth - JTR1303 Tucker Rocky # 249009
Front Sprocket – JT 16 Tooth – JTF1373

AFAM Front Sprocket – 16 Tooth - #20617

Drive Chain Slack NC700X/XA/XD - 30 TO 40 MM (1.2 TO 1.6 in.)
NC700SA - 25 TO 35 MM (1 TO 1.4 in)

Any dealership can get though Tucker Rocky or can order on line.

Tip: take of front sprocket off first. With every thing in place put a piece of wood into rear wheel and it must be long enough to catch the swing arm on both sides. (Broom Handle) This will allow you to remove the front sprocket without a special tool.

Thanks for posting all of this. I'm miles away for 20K and I'm going to change everything during the Christmas break regardless if it needs it or not. You just saved me some searching. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back