• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Camping packing trial

bamamate

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Krauser Widening Aluminum plate arrived so I mounted it and tried packing the camping gear. Also mounted 3 tool tubes. The tubes on the side are mounted to the SW Motech rack with bolts on the front of the tool tubes and cables ties on the rear until I can find a clamp that will work. Yellow dry bag has the tent and the red bag has sleeping bag, pad, and pillow. I just stuffed a large pillow in the Gear Navigator bag for this. The Gear Navigator back has quick release straps so I can release them and then the seat can flip up for fuelling. Adds a minute to a fuel stop at most. Takes me that long to figure out what candy bar I want to snack on so not a big deal for me.

I used an old duffel bag I had in the garage strapped on with 2 Rokstraps. It made a good back rest for my 700 mile camping trip :) Put gas in the tank 3 times, unloading/loading the duffel added less than 2 minutes to the fill time.

IMG_0151.jpg

What are you guys packing in all that luggage?

My set up for 2 weeks/4,500km in south east Australia:
NC700S Hotham.jpg

Pack list: tent, sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping mat, sand shoes, towel, clothes, toiletries, on-board pharmacy for my diseased and arthritic body, tablet computer, folding chair, first aid, cutlery, few bits of food, tools, puncture repair kit, hand pump, GPS, maps, camera... and probably a couple of things I forgot.

I've been slowly accumulating better camping gear so I don't have to pack on my rear seat (for easy access to refuel). So far I have a smaller packing sleeping bag, and I bought a silk (like) liner to go with it that is easily washable and has a pouch to hold your pillow in place.
I'm watching for a good price on an Exped 9 or a Big Agnes Q core mattress as they pack down small and still provide great cushion to sleep on.
I've been checking out tents too. The one I have is an Ozark Trail with maybe 52 inch center height at best.
The best price I am finding right now is for a Coleman Sundome 4 which has a 59 inch center height. Plenty of room to stand up in as long as you bend your head down a bit. It will pack down small enough... I just have to figure out where to pack it to keep my rear seat clear for refueling. Probably will be able to figure out a way to pack it on one of the saddlebags facing forward.

I'm open to suggestions on gear or packing methods :D

I'm open to suggestions on gear or packing methods :D

I had an Exped Downmat 7 Deluxe (full length), but on my last ADV trip on the DRZ it fell off and got eaten by the chain and rear wheel. Now I've got a 3/4 length Synmat 7 and don't notice the difference in comfort, but it's much smaller to pack. I've also got a medium size Exped pillow. For the tent I have a Nemo Gogo LE. My chair is a Helinox Chair One. In a 10 litre Kriega US-10 tail bag I keep my spare clothes, some toiletries, beanie, towel, tablet computer and maps. Strapped to the bag is the Helinox chair. Everything else (tent, mattress, pillow, shoes, sleeping bag etc) is in the storage compartment.

I use one dry Givi 80 liter dry bag on the back seat. That way there is only one bag to take on and off at the gas station, and all is in one bag come camp setup time.

059.jpg

biggrin.gif

Last edited:
There is a huge industry supporting back packers to carry everything they need for extended periods with a total weight around 40 pounds. Using this type gear allows one to pack their NC like Yamezz. But there are compromises. For example some travel with only two sets of light weight clothing to wear one and wash the other. For me I realize my NC does not complain about the weight and I can travel more comfortable. The ride is much better after a good night's sleep. I admit I carry more than I need but in some areas of comfort I will carry the extra weight.

Examples:
1. Tent. I got tired of changing clothes laying on my back and bought a taller tent with lots of room for all my gear inside. Also an awning to be able to sit out of the rain.
2. Sleeping Bag. Mummy bags are smallest and most efficient but for me uncomfortable as I don't like sleeping on my back. A larger rectangular bag that allows plenty of room to sleep on side is for me.
3. Sleeping pad. Thermarest is the standard and I carry the base camp model wide enough to not slip off the side and plenty thick.
4. Underwear. I like the luxury of clean underwear every day without having to wash daily so I carry a set for each day of the trip. Also a clean shirt daily, but I will wear pants more than a day.
5. Stove: At a minimum something to boil water for a good cup of dark roast coffee in the morning. I can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and be happy but don't deny me a good cup of coffee to wake up with.
6. Wine. I enjoy my glass of dry red wine in the evening and see no reason to leave that pleasure at home. It will go well with the PB&J sandwich. Decent wine is not usually available at camping locations so I carry a minimum of a bottle for every two days, for myself plus extra because it is impolite to drink it without offering some to fellow campers.

So yes I have Trekker top and side luggage and the tent goes on the seat. Right choice for me and I am happy with the ability to have a good nights sleep, clean underwear, good coffee and a glass of wine.

There is a huge industry supporting back packers to carry everything they need for extended periods with a total weight around 40 pounds. Using this type gear allows one to pack their NC like Yamezz. But there are compromises. For example some travel with only two sets of light weight clothing to wear one and wash the other. For me I realize my NC does not complain about the weight and I can travel more comfortable. The ride is much better after a good night's sleep. I admit I carry more than I need but in some areas of comfort I will carry the extra weight.

Examples:
1. Tent. I got tired of changing clothes laying on my back and bought a taller tent with lots of room for all my gear inside. Also an awning to be able to sit out of the rain.
2. Sleeping Bag. Mummy bags are smallest and most efficient but for me uncomfortable as I don't like sleeping on my back. A larger rectangular bag that allows plenty of room to sleep on side is for me.
3. Sleeping pad. Thermarest is the standard and I carry the base camp model wide enough to not slip off the side and plenty thick.
4. Underwear. I like the luxury of clean underwear every day without having to wash daily so I carry a set for each day of the trip. Also a clean shirt daily, but I will wear pants more than a day.
5. Stove: At a minimum something to boil water for a good cup of dark roast coffee in the morning. I can eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and be happy but don't deny me a good cup of coffee to wake up with.
6. Wine. I enjoy my glass of dry red wine in the evening and see no reason to leave that pleasure at home. It will go well with the PB&J sandwich. Decent wine is not usually available at camping locations so I carry a minimum of a bottle for every two days, for myself plus extra because it is impolite to drink it without offering some to fellow campers.

So yes I have Trekker top and side luggage and the tent goes on the seat. Right choice for me and I am happy with the ability to have a good nights sleep, clean underwear, good coffee and a glass of wine.

Which rei tent did you get fuzzy? What size does it pack down to? I remember when you posted you got it, I really liked that tent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

You might ask Fuzzy what brand of sleeping bag he has, also. It sure does pack up small. I don't know the temperature range, but looks great.

biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Fuzzy told me about REI awhile back. REI has top of the line camping products, but they also have top of the line prices. I bought my Marmot Limelight 3P Tent from REI, also. Great tent. Like Fuzzy told me, you just have to keep checking and at some time they will have a sale. I saw REI has a in store used product (returns) sale on December 28th. Like Fuzzy, I am not comfortable in a mummy bag, but they are a lot smaller.

biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I like REI but man are they expensive. Granted you get nice, light weight, long lasting stuff, but if you are just motorcycle camping then you can cut some corners and buy things that are a little heavier but cheaper. I have a slumberjack trails 2 that fits in my OEM bags, along with a walmart mummy bag. I like the stuff for motorcycle camping but I've been looking into backpacking and they are just too heavy for that.

This is my current sleeping bag, a Coleman Cayman X40. No longer on the Coleman web site.
81FesYIFMRL._SX522_.jpg

Amazon.com: Coleman Exponent Cayman X 40-Degree Rectangular Sleeping Bag: Sports & Outdoors

Back