• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Buell Footpeg Mod

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a mod that I've been planning on trying for a while. I am about 6'3" tall, with a 36" inseam and have tried a few things to improve my ergos by spreading things out a little. I have a 1.5" handlebar riser, and have done the Showkey Mod (http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1574-seat-mod-slope-change.html) on my seat, which raises the height a little (maybe an inch...). The last thing to do was lower the pegs a little. Using Buell pegs is a mod that has been discussed briefly in other threads, but I figure it deserves its own thread for all the details.

Here is the stock footpeg, for reference.

20140323_055634.jpg

I couldn't easily find the stock Honda footpeg part numbers. The Buell kit I used is the N0006.1AD. These pegs have about a 1" drop from the Hondas.

20140322_173115.jpg

Here is a quick ref sheet of applicable dimensions. I measured all dimensions in decimal inches using a cheap pipe caliper, so there are a few thousandths plus or minus in all dimensions given. I have included the closest cross to fractional inch and metric measurements.

footpegdata.jpg

When I say "Yoke Height", what I mean is the distance between the outer surfaces of the peg in the mounting pin area. Here is a pic of the measurement.

20140323_171142.jpg

Basically, you have two options to get pegs like this to fit. You can ream out the Honda side casting and use a larger pin, or you can install a bushing in the large hole on the Buell pegs to allow the use of the original smaller pin. I wanted to keep the bike parts stock, so that I could go back to the original pegs if I ever wanted to. All of the modification had to stay on the pegs, not the bike. If one wanted to ream the Honda holes to accept a larger pin, it should still work fine. There is plenty of lug wall thickness on the Honda casting flanges and tearout should not be an issue.

The first thing I did was found some bushings to make up the pin diameter difference. I got extremely lucky here and had some anodized aluminum hat bushings in my tool box. I think they are Boeing floorboard insert bushings. The "tube" section of the bushing is the exact right inner and outer diameter. These bushings are anodized, heat treated aircraft aluminum and will probably outlast the pegs or the Honda casting. Seriously, I can't believe how luck I was to find these. If anyone else wants a set to do a footpeg mod, send me a message, I can probably spare a few.

20140323_192049.jpg

20140323_200553.jpg

Anyway, the bushings were not quite an exact fit. As you can see, the "hat" end has a smaller diameter hole, which I drilled out with a 5/16" drill bit. This makes the bushing one straight inner diameter of 5/16" all the way through. I also had to trim a little bit off of the hat flange in order to get them to nest in the pegs. The hat is thin and can be trimmed with hand shears, wire cutters, etc.

I installed two bushings in each peg, with the hats on the inside of the peg. The hats prevent the bushings from walking out. You will need some sort of spacer in between them. I used a small piece of copper tube cut to length. Basically, anything to take up the space between the bushings will work here. The peg spring might even retain them on its own.

The bushings are a little taller than they need to be and will protrude from the peg a little. I had to take about 0.090" of metal off the peg yoke flanges anyway, so sanding the bushings down at the same time was not a problem.

Speaking of sanding the yoke flanges, this was the most time consuming part of the project. I didn't want to take off too much metal, so I marked a cut line of the required thickness on the lower flange and started sanding with a die grinder and 3M 2" diameter 120 grit sanding pads. Luckily, the Buell pegs are made out of a cast aluminum that is approximately as hard as a nicely aged cheese.;) At least when compared to the structural alloys I'm used to grinding on for aircraft. I would take a pass with the grinder, test fit, grind more, test again, lather, rinse, repeat until they fit. As you get close, the pegs can start to wedge into position. Once the pin will fit through, I would install it and wiggle the peg in position. This would leave a contact mark on the peg, so I knew where the high spots were that needed more sanding.

20140323_061900.jpg

I tried to take almost all of the required metal off of the bottom flange. This flange is under compression when weight is applied to the peg. The top flange in under tension. This is the critical point, so I wanted it to stay basically as strong as Buell designed it to be. The lower flange will not fail, as the compression load is pushing into the meat of the peg casting, rather than pulling against the lug wall on the upper flange.

Once I had the thickness dialed in, I went over the sanded areas with a 3M green Scotch Wheel to polish the surface. It should leave a roughness of about 63 microinches, which is enough to prevent stress cracks from forming in the aluminum on the rough sand marks.

Once the peg will fit between the casting flanges, you will still have to take some material off of the peg flange edges, in order to set the position and allow full spring up travel. It's not much, and the procedure is basically the same. Put the pin through, cycle the peg up and down a few times, and sand away where the impact parks are. After a few tries, it should be good.

I used a No 2 Moly grease on all bushings, pins, and contact surfaces when I permanently installed everything.

After the new pegs are installed, you should adjust the brake and shifter (as applicable) down to match. I like my controls to be a little over an inch (about 30mm) lower than my pegs. I did notice a little bit of interference between the LH peg and the shift lever. This required a little bit of additional spot grinding on the peg.

20140323_070822.jpg

I think I might use Plasti-Dip or some sort of coating on the pegs, both for looks and maybe anti-slip.

Overall, I am very happy with this mod. My legs are a little less tight and my knee angle is less acute. It took me about $40 and 4 hours to do all the work, from initial brainstorming to final product. Anyone who wants to follow this procedure should be able to do it in less time, since the trial and error has already been done.

Here is me sitting on a stock NC700x (no mods).
original ergos.jpg

Here is me sitting on my NC700X as it is now (lowered pegs, raised seat, raised handlebar).
new ergos.jpg

Notice the increased knee and hip angles and decreased lean. :D

I like your style! I've been pretty happy with the Ulysses pegs I put on about a year ago. Your install is a lot more straight forward since I adapted mine from an adaptation to another bike. I had to find a bushing that would let the OEM Honda mounting pins work with the reamed out holes that I had from my Kawasaki.

I love these cross platform tinkerer mods. Nice work!

I had a pair of Knight Industry 1.5" lower pegs left from my dearly departed Sprint RS that I adapted to the NC. These pegs used 3/8" pins, so they also needed sleeves, and a little spacer to take up some missing width. I machined flanged sleeves on my lathe. I had to art the stops in on my disc sander and viola, lower pegs.

The knight pegs are long, wide, and machined from billet. The top is aggressive enough to cut though a layer of mud on a boot sole. The ride offroad is far more solid and positive when standing up compared to the squirmy rubber dome stock pegs - this was my main motivation for the mod. I think long trips will be more comfy for my legs based on my short test ride. Oddly, the pegs didn't change the comfort of the Sprint, I guess the stock position was really OK. The main drawback is I definitely touch down in the curves now. I'm going to have to get in the habit of raising my toes. I feel more engine vibration in my feet but that doesn't bother me.

These pegs are expensive ($110-$120!) and unless you luck into a pair for cheap I wouldn't recommend buying them and then having to mod them. I see they list the NT700V and bunch other models.

I have the Knight lowering pegs. I bought the cheapest version of plain aluminum. It also matches the bikes mounting points. Very easy install, no modifications necessary. It will take you longer to adjust the height of the rear brake pedal and the gear shift lever. Very comfortable. Unless you like to tinker, these pegs are the least time consuming to install.

Pismocycleguy, what model are they for - did Knight design say these would fit?

Mohave,
They are made for the Honda NC700X. They make about 4 different models, in a couple of different size drops, in a wide variety of colors. I telephoned them to get the information. They have a very nice website at Knight Design. Check it out.

UPDATE: I've now had the Buell pegs installed for a couple of weeks. One thing I noticed is that I apparently used to rest my feet up on the peg hinge yokes on the side of the bike. This was possible because the top surface of the stock pegs was level with the upper hinge yoke. Since the Buell pegs have a drop, I am not able to do this and it pushes my feet outboard on both sides (maybe 3/4" at most). This is most noticeable in how the foot controls feel. I think with the original pegs, my right foot was actually pushing down on the whole brake lever, not just the peg part. With the Buell pegs, my right foot felt like it was having to reach in to hit the pedal, even though that was not actually the case. I didn't feel comfortable, because I felt like I couldn't easily feel where the pedal was and if my foot was grabbing it properly.

To fix this, I welded a little tab onto the rear brake lever. I made the tab from a lock washer from a crankshaft sprocket (don't ask me what it's off of).

20140405_025604.jpg

This gives my foot a positive stop, so that I can easily tell when my foot is firmly planted on the pedal. I don't know if other people feel this way, but this makes me feel more comfortable operating the rear pedal.

I'm in the middle of sorting out a shift lever mod as well. I will post pics from that once I have settled on a configuration.

Back