• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery related Display issues - 700 vs 750 display

JoFoS

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Milicinda (my NC700X) to commute between home and office every day, about a 65mile round trip. A few weeks ago I notice that my little engine light comes on after a short drive, and stays on.
I took it back to the dealer where I bought it 3 months earlier (not a Honda dealer), and got the explanation that the light comes on when I overrev it . . .
So I make a point of trying to keep the revs as low as possible, but to no avail. It got to the point where, I start Milicinda, and as soon as I pull away, the light comes on.

I had kinda made peace with my little engine light always shining. Then a few weeks ago I was doing a relaxing drive through the country side when my speedometer disappeared. Not everything on the display, just the speedometer reading. I pulled off the road, switched off and restarted and the speedometer reading was back. Intrigued but relieved I continue my journey.
About two weeks ago, I was driving along when the display went completely wako, and started flashing like a strobe light. It only flashed for about a minute and then returned to normal. I contacted the dealer again, but they could only help me in a week’s time. Meanwhile it happened again, a few times!

I then did a thorough search here in the forum and one of the possibilities was that it could be the 16p connector (on the display side) or the 33p connector (on the ECM side) that was not making a proper connection. I spent the best part of a Saturday stripping body panels, getting to the ”accused" connectors. I finally got to them and cleaned them out like there was no tomorrow! I nearly finished a bottle of contact cleaner on them. I took the NC for a spin and all seamed well, except for my familiar engine light still coming on.
Wednesday morning I was on my way to the office when Milicinda completely died on me while driving. I pulled off the road and Milicinda battled a few times, but to my relief she started up again. As soon as I got to the office, I opened the battery lid and from the looks of it, it was still the same battery that Milicinda was sold with originally in 2012. I phoned around for battery prices. I picked the best value for money, that’s also close to my office and off I went to pick up the new battery. The dealer told me he had worked on quite a few NC’s and would gladly install this battery too, free of charge! He pulled Milicinda into their workshop and as he stepped off, he asked me why I had a 750’s display on my 700?
Note the wrong display, I will get back to that. With the new battery fitted, I rode back to the office and Milicinda has never been happier, even the engine light that I have grown to almost love, is nowhere to be seen.

Back to the 750’s display. The reason I mentioned this was because I saw a few posts that asked about the option. This became clear as to why I could not get the extra functions to work on the display. All the general functions worked, like, rpm, speedometer, trip counter, clock & fuel indicator but nothing else. The nice to have functions like; fuel consumption indicator and gear indicator are there for “window dressing”purpurses only and the outside temperature indicator is completely MIA. The other thing I found most interesting is that the mileage for some reason is stored on the display itself. In other words, change the display, and you lose your mileage. I tested this by disconnecting the 16p connector and took Milicinda for a 10 mile ride. Reconnected the 16p connector and the mileage was exactly the same. This of course, brought up the obvious question, how much mileage has Milicinda actually done.

Whatever the case, 3 months later and just over 3000 miles extra on the clock, I absolutely love my NC.

^ he is not in USA- he is in South Africa- another country.

seem like you might have gotten your NC used and they have cheated you on the mile of the NC.

in the USA odometer fraud is a crime. and there must be a sticker somewhere on the frame or you must be notified before you got the vehicle that the odometer reading is not correct one

The nice to have functions like; fuel consumption indicator and gear indicator are there for “window dressing”purpurses only and the outside temperature indicator is completely MIA.

Wait, what? There's a temperature indicator on my NC750X display? :confused:

OK, just checked, you meant oil temperature indicator... I thought it should show me the weather temperature, which I would have loved... nevermind... ;)

Last edited:
Hi All,
Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions. I read them all, but was advised not to make any further comments or posts related to the NC for legal reasons.
Long story short. It turns out the NC was last serviced at a Honda dealer in March 2016 with 32,000 miles on the original display and not 10,000 as advertised.
I returned the NC to the dealer and got a full refund.

I found myself a "new" NC, and took delivery last weekend. :D
A 2013, with 16,000 miles on, complete with Top Box, Paniers, Heated Grips, Crash Bars, Engine Guard, Hand Guards, a touring screen already fitted and a full Honda dealer service history for only $1000 more.
14717286_10154122581838111_6855669770573926674_n.jpg
Isn’t she gorgeous? :cool:

Back