• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery change

Chrisn17

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello interwebs folks. My first time posting.

I'm trying to do something nice. My sisters fella has a NC700x. It's been in storage for 16 months. As you'd imagine the battery was dead. I brought a new one. Fitted it. Now the display is blank. It lit up before but the old battery wouldn't crank bike over or accept a charge.
The leads are connected correctly, don't think it's possible to incorrectly fit them.
I've checked the fuses, yes visually and with a meter.
Am I missing something? Is there a reset procedure?
See where trying to be nice gets me. I'm going back to normal grumpy self after this.

Does the bike run and operate normally other than the display being blank?

Bugger, that has to be frustrating trying to do a favour and getting stuck in this mess, eh?

Completely dead. Key on, and no sounds (fuel pump whirr) no lights, nothing anywhere?

1) battery: new, fully charged, confirmed?

2) ground path: tightened cables, no corrosion, main ground on frame not compromised?

3) main fuse: how was this tested, exactly, other than a visual?

4) ignition switch: possible malfunction or compromised wires/connections? Mice, corrosion, modifications?

5) HISS or chip key failure: unlikely, given bike would light up at least with old battery, I guess.

This might sound silly but... have you put a multi-meter on the new battery to make sure it's not dead?

trey

Not silly at all, a couple of simple tests even witha test light makes total sense.......I have seen batteries installed that were not activated and customer was unaware of the need to add acid. ( the acid was not put in and was not supplied with the battery, some batteries are sold dry).

The battery is brand new, full of acid and tested in the shop for voltage.
It is installed correctly +to+ -to-
I have checked all the fuses for continuity and they are not blown.
I'm at a loss.
I had lights on the dash with the old battery but it wouldn't turn over and wouldn't take a charge.
So new battery. Now it's all blank. No noises from fuel pump. No engine turn over. No nothing.
On goldwing the hiss, even if faulty, still lets the lights and dash still light up.
I'm at a loss. No more favours. Lol.

Did you check battery voltage now or I'm missing something? If yes - what is it?
I guess that you have multimeter because you could check fuses.

Most likely causes, if the battery is good, are the ignition key switch or the main 30 amp fuse. You checked the fuse by the starter relay?

Bugger, that has to be frustrating trying to do a favour and getting stuck in this mess, eh?

Completely dead. Key on, and no sounds (fuel pump whirr) no lights, nothing anywhere?

1) battery: new, fully charged, confirmed?

2) ground path: tightened cables, no corrosion, main ground on frame not compromised?

3) main fuse: how was this tested, exactly, other than a visual?

4) ignition switch: possible malfunction or compromised wires/connections? Mice, corrosion, modifications?

5) HISS or chip key failure: unlikely, given bike would light up at least with old battery, I guess.
what is HISS? And as far as I know at least the US model doesn't have a chipped key

what is HISS? And as far as I know at least the US model doesn't have a chipped key

I think it's something like: "H.onda I.ntegrated S.ecurity S.ystem" And you are right, us North American types are bereft of the set up. (for good or bad, depending on your point of view, lol)

Back