• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery Access Problem

I bought a Battery Tender Jr that came with a quick disconnect. And I'll put it on as soon as I can get to the dang battery!

As sacreligious as this may sound...

I suppose you could take a heat gun and carefully warm up the panel to the point of gumby bendy-ness and/or make a small slit through the plastic where the stuck screw is holding it, and just gently pry it off. As long as you didn't go all Godzilla on it, I'm sure a small slit at the one screw hole wouldn't be the end of the world for it to continue functioning perfectly fine later, once you deal with the stripped screw issue.

The access hatch panel is only about $26.00 bucks, so if one were to booger it up during this attempt, at least it wouldn't be beyond all hope to experiment.

Godd luck! ;)

As sacreligious as this may sound...

I suppose you could take a heat gun and carefully warm up the panel to the point of gumby bendy-ness and/or make a small slit through the plastic where the stuck screw is holding it, and just gently pry it off. As long as you didn't go all Godzilla on it, I'm sure a small slit at the one screw hole wouldn't be the end of the world for it to continue functioning perfectly fine later, once you deal with the stripped screw issue.

The access hatch panel is only about $26.00 bucks, so if one were to booger it up during this attempt, at least it wouldn't be beyond all hope to experiment.

Godd luck! ;)

Turns out a friend at work has a Plastic Fastener Remover, and he said he'll bring it in tomorrow. It should work way better than a claw hammer. There's no hurry -- it's 20°F here and I just dropped the insurance on the NC to comprehensive 'til April 1. It isn't going anywhere. I just need to get the charger on the battery before it gives up the ghost.

I like your idea of notching the screw hole in the panel if I can't get the screw out. If I botch it, the price of new panel isn't too bad (assuming no collateral damage). It's cheaper than a new battery.

Thanks!

I would caution against using the 12V receptacle that uses a "pressure fit" mount on the bike. If you're going to drill a large hole in the plastic frunk body it may not be rigid enough to provide a good hold on the socket or could work loose over time/use. I bought this one which is more like the "genuine Honda" receptacle. It is a threaded mount with a locking ring and also comes with a handlebar mount if you want to use it. It also came with an in-line blade fuse which is not shown in the picture.

Amazon: Tusk 12V power socket

41vEmiqqnmL.jpg

I've been meaning to ask whether one of these can be mounted in the frunk without interfering with helmet storage. THAT would be a bummer.

Did you use the Honda sub harness and relay, or just hook it up to the battery?

I've been meaning to ask whether one of these can be mounted in the frunk without interfering with helmet storage. THAT would be a bummer.

I haven't installed it yet. I plan on using the Honda harness and relay but am waiting on the OEM style connector plug to replace the ring connectors on the end of this. I expect it will protrude into the frunk somewhat but neither of our helmets fit in the frunk anyhow so that wasn't a consideration for me.

Yes, something very similar to that. Mine doesn't have that little ball thing down by the business end, and I think the fingers, or whatever you want to call them, are wider on mine. But essentially the same tool. The ball thing on that one looks to be a pivot point.

I borrowed a tool like this from a guy at work. He said it came from Pep Boys. It got the job done -- the cover is off and the battery is on the tender. No further damage done, intentional or otherwise. Now I have all winter to figure out what to do about the boogered up nut. I'd need a dentist's mirror just to see the back side of it. (Maybe my work friend has one of those too...)

Last edited:

That particular one, looks like the one I have mounted on the handlebar, may interfere with putting a helmet in the frunk as it would protrude around 1/2" into the frunk. Other versions, like the factory one, are more of flush mount design and wouldn't interfere.

That particular one, looks like the one I have mounted on the handlebar, may interfere with putting a helmet in the frunk as it would protrude around 1/2" into the frunk. Other versions, like the factory one, are more of flush mount design and wouldn't interfere.

I don't put my helmet in the frunk but for the exact reasons you stated I am buying the factory 12V recepticle. There are several pictures on the forum of this one installed and it is nice and flush. I'm not worried about clearance for my helmet but I do not want anything else getting caught on it. Plus I have the factory sub harnesss so it makes sense.

Back