• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Barkbusters Storm Installation - no need to remove internal weights

All I did was remove the screw, position the Kobras and replace the same screw (with Loctite), no removal of internal weights or bar end weights.

61fc99dbfcf60ae71cbd1943788f2384_zps0214af0f.jpg

Thanks Jelly.
we have two options (barkbusters or kobra). Sounds like the kobra is easier to install with original screw with a little bit of loctite !
Thanks for the info...

The easiness of fitting the Kobras was a contributory factor in my buying decision.

Coincidentally, they're the coolest looking handguards too. IMO of course.

I have originally installed the Barkbusters according to the instructions, i.e. removed the original bar ends and internal weights.
During the first ride after the install I felt that the handlebars felt very light and hollow, if you will...bike reacted to the control inputs more sluggishly and required more effort.

Then I read somewhere on the forum that the B-busters were installed using the original bar ends, screws. Thus, no need for the removal of the internal weight.

Today I went back and reassembled the weights, bar ends, and installed the B-busters!

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!! BIKE FEELS WHOLE AGAIN! :)

Just wanted to put this in a separate topic, so that interested parties saved themselves some time and effort... :)

Quick Question - do the end weights on the NC spin like on the CB500X? If so, won't this compromise their performance in a crash?

They actually lock in with two "ears" on each one, I pulled mine as the screws that came with them were a few sizes larger than the stock ones. Also the ones I got only connect on the bar end, the frame end "floats" nears the bars.

I used the stock weights

On the left the bracket mount is facing up, on the right it is facing down to avoid cables. I could not install the weights that came with the guards because I installed grip warmers previously. (oops).
It seems to be working fine for me though. I'll attach some pictures tonight.
I wanted to see if anyone else used the stock weights and screws and actually had any issues that I haven't come across yet.

On the left the bracket mount is facing up, on the right it is facing down to avoid cables. I could not install the weights that came with the guards because I installed grip warmers previously. (oops).
It seems to be working fine for me though. I'll attach some pictures tonight.
I wanted to see if anyone else used the stock weights and screws and actually had any issues that I haven't come across yet.
I used the stock, oem, bar end weights and screws and did not have any fitment issues. But I also do not have any grip warmers.
I'm glad it's working out for you.

I pulled my internal weights as per the installation instructions. The internal tubing capture hardware that were supplied, insure a firm grip of the ID of the tubing. While the OEM weights were "Floating" inside of the tube. I had to use a pneumatic impact driver to remove the screws from the end weights, becuase of "Thread Locker" applied to the screws during assembly.

I finally found a pair of barkbusters I decided I could afford. Got the left hand side on OK. But so far I can't get the OEM screw out of the right hand bar end. I'm not keen on buying a tool I might not need again, so I'll get my son to help me. He's bigger than me.

Hope to get them both on soon.

I finally found a pair of barkbusters I decided I could afford. Got the left hand side on OK. But so far I can't get the OEM screw out of the right hand bar end. I'm not keen on buying a tool I might not need again, so I'll get my son to help me. He's bigger than me.

The problem is that the insert weight is spinning around inside the handlebar tube. The use of an impact driver, pneumatic or otherwise is going to be your only option in getting this screw out.

If you hold the external weight it should prevent the internal weight from spinning.

PotterOo, that's what I did. A pair of vice grips did the job.

However, I now have an unexpected problem. I jumped on the bike ready for a long day out, but didn't get out the driveway before I realised the throttle was stuck. When I put the guard on, I knew that the bar end was no longer spinning but didn't realise it was so important.

Persevered for a short ride, but it's no good. Heading back home to see if I can fix it.

Loosened the screw (OEM) a little and throttle is good now. Might carry a small screwdriver with the bike to keep it secure.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back