• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Barkbusters Storm Installation - no need to remove internal weights

NCer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have originally installed the Barkbusters according to the instructions, i.e. removed the original bar ends and internal weights.
During the first ride after the install I felt that the handlebars felt very light and hollow, if you will...bike reacted to the control inputs more sluggishly and required more effort.

Then I read somewhere on the forum that the B-busters were installed using the original bar ends, screws. Thus, no need for the removal of the internal weight.

Today I went back and reassembled the weights, bar ends, and installed the B-busters!

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!! BIKE FEELS WHOLE AGAIN! :)

Just wanted to put this in a separate topic, so that interested parties saved themselves some time and effort... :)

I retained the stock weights with the CycleGear hand guards also. I saw no reason to remove them.

I installed the Bark Buster Storms several months ago utilizing the OEM interior weights and bar ends. The fit was great and the looks was good. And easy! Why remove parts that work great?

Do you think you could post some photos of them mounted so that visual folks like myself can see how you set them up?

Do you think you could post some photos of them mounted so that visual folks like myself can see how you set them up?

Here's a picture of the bark busters installed with original bar weights

u7yje2y2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here are a few photos

Here are a few photos of the installation utilizing the oem inner mounting weights and the oem bar end weights.IMG_0132.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0130.JPG

I'm not sure if the trackside are the same,but you can move the resivor to the right a little then place the clamp in front of the glass.you can still see in it.like I said not sure if its the same but just something else to try.I don't have barkbuster so not sure.
8avu7apu.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I can get the Acerbis guards with the touring shields for around $50 but I may go with these as being able to just put them on without having to pull the insides out of the handlebars is quite a bit more appealing.

Here's a few more, getting the brackets around the brake reservoir is a bit tricky

ujazyru4.jpg
hy2aga4a.jpg
9uhyga8e.jpg
tu9yheze.jpg
yqy2avun.jpg

It looks like you switched the left and right clamps...is that right?
(The clamp around the brake reservoir appears to be the clamp for the right side.
From what I can tell the right side looks pretty easy to mount.

Thanks for the pictures. I can get the Acerbis guards with the touring shields for around $50 but I may go with these as being able to just put them on without having to pull the insides out of the handlebars is quite a bit more appealing.

I was going to go for the Acerbis guards until I read about removing the original weights.

I got SW Motech Kobra guards, they fit without removing the original weight too, they took about 30 mins to fit.

Last edited:
It looks like you switched the left and right clamps...is that right?
(The clamp around the brake reservoir appears to be the clamp for the right side.
From what I can tell the right side looks pretty easy to mount.

If I did switch them, I didn't realize it... LOL It worked, so I was happy. One thing to note about these clamps... there was an earlier version of the clamps that came with the barkbusters that were very difficult to mount due to the brake reservoir. Barkbuster came out with a new clamp that made mounting much easier. That is something to keep in mind as I suspect there are earlier versions of those clamps still out there, and people may end up with them and wonder why it is so hard to get the clamp on the side with the brake reservoir.

If you have a set mounted I'd be interested to see pics of them. Especially if I have mine on the wrong sides.. :D

Wwww...you didn't mount them on the wrong sides... You creatively mounted them!
It may be the only way. I'll take some pics when I put them on!

I pretty much just moved around the brackets until they worked and tightened them down to be perfectly honest. I guess that could be considered "creative" lol

I have originally installed the Barkbusters according to the instructions, i.e. removed the original bar ends and internal weights.
During the first ride after the install I felt that the handlebars felt very light and hollow, if you will...bike reacted to the control inputs more sluggishly and required more effort.

Then I read somewhere on the forum that the B-busters were installed using the original bar ends, screws. Thus, no need for the removal of the internal weight.

Today I went back and reassembled the weights, bar ends, and installed the B-busters!

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!! BIKE FEELS WHOLE AGAIN! :)

Just wanted to put this in a separate topic, so that interested parties saved themselves some time and effort... :)

I pulled my internal weights as per the installation instructions. The internal tubing capture hardware that were supplied, insure a firm grip of the ID of the tubing. While the OEM weights were "Floating" inside of the tube. I had to use a pneumatic impact driver to remove the screws from the end weights, becuase of "Thread Locker" applied to the screws during assembly.

I do not have any issues with this set up. As I did not get to the chance to ride the bike more than 4 miles before installing the Barkbusters. That was on the "Test Ride" I did on my bike back in January, before I bought it.

IMG_2418.jpg

Does Anyone have the storm hand guards w/ the puig windscreen? They don't seem to work, they really hit the screen

Does Anyone have the storm hand guards w/ the puig windscreen? They don't seem to work, they really hit the screen
Lots of members on this Forum have this exact setup. They work fine together. You must not have them installed correctly. Try starting over and use a different position for the hand guards.
Good luck.

I thought I would have that problem with the Madstad windshield, but the handguards barely extend further out than my mirrors which hit the windscreen anyway. I have lost less than 5mm of turning ability with the handguards installed (or will when I get the correct hardware to finish the installation).

Back