• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar Adjustment

pahondafan

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a way to adjust the stock bars so that the grips are closer to the rider? To reach the bars currently my arms are completely extended which causes pain after a few minutes of riding. It also makes it difficult to countersteer since in order to push the grip I need to swivel my body to get extra arm length.

Thanks

I think the roxi risers also tilt back.

But is there enough slack in the front brake line, the switch wiring and the clutch cable to allow the bars to be raised or move toward the rear of the bike? About how much on average can the bars be raised and move rearward?

But is there enough slack in the front brake line, the switch wiring and the clutch cable to allow the bars to be raised or move toward the rear of the bike? About how much on average can the bars be raised and move rearward?

There is enough slack in the cables for 2" Rox risers. I just installed some about a week ago. They bring the bars up and back a little bit, enough to make it more comfortable for me. Might not be enough for the O.P. . I still had some bend in my arms with the stock bars, but I found myself leaning forward a lot. That got uncomfortable after a while. It's better with the 2" risers for me. That might not be enough for someone who's straight arming it with a stock set up. You may need longer risers. If you go any longer than 2" you'll need long cables and front brake line.

Any adjustments or moving of electrical wiring on the bars necessary?

There is enough slack in the cables for 2" Rox risers. I just installed some about a week ago. They bring the bars up and back a little bit, enough to make it more comfortable for me. Might not be enough for the O.P. . I still had some bend in my arms with the stock bars, but I found myself leaning forward a lot. That got uncomfortable after a while. It's better with the 2" risers for me. That might not be enough for someone who's straight arming it with a stock set up. You may need longer risers. If you go any longer than 2" you'll need long cables and front brake line.
Did you have to adjust, move, or free wiring from brackets or zip strips to mount these risers?:confused:
Thanks

Well... try this first.

It may be that rotating the existing bar will help. If they were installed and rotated all the way forward, then, yes, you would have to reach farther for them.

1. Loosen the bolts that hold them and move them all the way through their arc from top to bottom.
  2. Note the place in the arc when the grips are closest to the rider.
  3. Hold the handlebars in that spot and tighten down the bolts.

This may mean you have to rotate the brake levers so they will be.... where you want.
I suspect all the attendant cables have enough slack for this effort. Be careful. Make sure the front wheel can still turn all the way right/left WITHOUT stressing any cables.

If this doesn't work, then I agree you will need something else....
I would just change out the handle bars.. (a very cheap item) with something more "swept back" (no ape-hanger handlebars please!) that doesn't exceed existing cable slack. If you need more than that, then you'll need to replace the cabling, and for that you should see your dealer.

Last edited:
I tried to roll the bars back towards me, but the starter switch and turn signal switch will both hit on the the frunk. The gain is minimal, think I will try some risers.

Thanks for all the replies. Immediately after Duk2n's original reply yesterday I went to my dealer to ask him about risers. He too had a concern about the cables and said that some might have to be replaced. After reading here though it seems that with the 2" Rox that isn't necessary.

I'm going to see if I get used to it before making a change. Does anyone have a picture of the 2" rox on their NC?

Thanks

Yes. Some I was able to put back after the installation. The brake hose had to stay out though.

I have the risers and have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow. Anything new to report since your install? I am particularly concerned about the brake line. There does not seem to be much extra. According to the dealer if it doesn't fit then I would have to source a 3rd party part to replace it.

Thanks

I don't see how the dealer will be able to do it without altering the original set up... which is required to obtain some slack on the brake cable. I think he will have you get and install a new cable, which would also mean new brake fluid and the bleeding of the system.

I have ridden my bike 7000km (soon reaching).
I noticed that the left handle is a tad more forward than the right one.

Now, do I
1. Knock it with my hand while pivoting the tire on something
2. go back to dealer and yell quality
3. do nothing.

It is just a little asymmetric. Not a big deal.
But I am a perfectionist.
So?
:p

Now, do I
3. do nothing.

So?

That would annoy the heck out of me,,, I would adjust it whichever way :)

Now, do I
3. do nothing.

So?

4) Make sure that it really is "off" versus maybe an optical illusion?

I can't remember which side, but ya, mine "feels" like one of the bars is a teeny bit further forward or closer to me than the other, but darned if I can prove this in any measurable way, depite my closest attentions to measuring...

Trivia note: Greek Temple builders had to purposely design off perfectly true, in order to satisfy how "straight" they appeared to the observer. They discovered that if they made them with too much precision, it somehow created the optical illusion of them being crooked!

"A real-world example of a shape illusion was created by the Greeks nearly 2500 years ago. The Parthenon, one of the most famous Greek temples, looks as though it is built with perfect right angles. But this is an illusion, the Parthenon contains no perfect right angles. To compensate for the distorting effects of linear perspective, which would make the temple appear sagging and crooked, the architects of the Parthenon made its columns lean slightly inward. In addition, they constructed the base and other horizontal elements with a slight upward curvature that is higher in the center than at the perimeter. They also designed each of the massive columns to bulge slightly in the center. The result of these modifications is a temple that seems perfectly straight."

Back