• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bad DCT clutch?

They are located on the right side of the engine under that bolted on plastic cover.

ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...

ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...
At some point you should purchase a service manual.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the DCT monitors oil pressure and oil temperature. Low oil level could trigger both diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) preventing normal transmission operation but the dash should show a flashing code like LP or something. Sorry, I'm at work and far from the owners manual.

The second thing mentioned baffles me. The DCT should never be able to shift to 2nd without starting in first. It should never be able to start in 2nd gear. Please elaborate on this.
Never say "never", :)
When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.

Never say "never", :)
When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.
Thanks for the detail.

Happy you found and hopefully corrected the problem.

Regarding the infamous oil subject I've started using full synthetic 10W-30 (Mobil or Castrol) in all my small engines.
My vehicles calling for 0W-20 (synthetic) will remain the same.
But with the relatively complex DCT I'm sticking with the specific Honda mineral oil, staying away from the synthetic.

Back