• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Automatic and Cruise Control

I have emailed that Melbourne company ages ago. I got ZERO response. NC Hondas are not that common over here, so maybe they don't see a market for it. Never the less a simple email saying thanks but no thanks would have been nice...

As mentioned by one of the posters, space is the big problem on the NC when it comes to installing electronic cruise control. I had an AudioVox cruise on my PC800 and MC Cruise on my NT700V, both self-installed and I still own the NT. Both of those bikes had loads of room under the plastic, especially the PC800, compared to the NC.

When I have to cover several hundred miles on the interstate, I miss having cruise control on my NC. :-(

I have a Audiovox CCS 100 installed on my FJR1300. It's very nice on those long freeway trips, but I try to avoid those as much as possible in favor of twisty back roads. ;) It's a very involved job installing one of those on a bike.

I briefly looked at the NC700, but decided there were too many challenges to installing one on that bike. The servo is about the size of a soda can and then you have to route a long cable to the throttle quadrant, which makes packaging a challenge. Then there's the issue of the DCT shifting gears on it's own which would cause the cruise to disconnect if it was hooked up to the easiest/cleanest method using the tach input. When the bike shifts gears the engine rpm would change suddenly which would kick off the cruise (that's one way I can disconnect mine - just pull the clutch in a little to cause engine rpm to rise).

There's an option to use wheel speed, but that requires tacky looking/prone to damage external sensor at a wheel or a divide by circuit so it can use the wheel speed sensor input. I found it much easier to just slip a throttle rocker on the throttle tube and now the wife is happy on those longer trips. :) A standard Vista cruise throttle lock would also be a great option.

I have successfully installed a rostra cruise and love it. I use it daily on my ride to work. Thinking this winter to upgrading the control pad to a goldwing part and moving to the left side of my bars.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have successfully installed a rostra cruise and love it. I use it daily on my ride to work. Thinking this winter to upgrading the control pad to a goldwing part and moving to the left side of my bars.

Any pics of the install?

I just made one that someone linked in one of the other threads.

Cruise control 5.JPG

Cruise control 1.JPG

Cruise control 2.JPG

But recently there was a thread using an O-ring. I like that.
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...l?highlight=o-ring+cruise+control+Caterpillar
16481d1396930527-throttle-locks-ns700sa-oring-jpg

I only have a couple. I wish I had documented the install better.uploadfromtaptalk1440466282577.jpguploadfromtaptalk1440466702370.jpg
First picture shows placement of the control box located in the left side. The cable runs around the front and comes around the right side. I used some soft copper to mimic the throttle cables route to turn the last 90°. The second picture shows that I found a plastic tube that fit over the copper tube. I used the as the cable adjustment point for cable slack.
The last photo shows how I attached the cable to the throttle. I ended up increasing the radius to help with the tuning and to ease the aggressive reactions.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1440466036160.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1440466036160.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 583
I only have a couple. I wish I had documented the install better.View attachment 25950View attachment 25952
First picture shows placement of the control box located in the left side. The cable runs around the front and comes around the right side. I used some soft copper to mimic the throttle cables route to turn the last 90°. The second picture shows that I found a plastic tube that fit over the copper tube. I used the as the cable adjustment point for cable slack.
The last photo shows how I attached the cable to the throttle. I ended up increasing the radius to help with the tuning and to ease the aggressive reactions.

Looks like the order of the pics changed from what I expected.

A photo of the control pad. And my previous cc method still hanging on the hand guard.uploadfromtaptalk1440469032423.jpg

Good work, tommy943. Just goes to show, where there's a will, there's a way.

I test rode a Triumph tiger 800 XCx this week. The cruise-control was great. Unfortunately that bike had an annoying front wheel hop that would drive you crazy on a long highway drone even with the wonderful cruise-control. Seems that front end flaw is common on the XC and newer XCx machinery. The flaw is fixable, but at the expense of time and many trips to the dealer--best avoided in the first place.

What I am really holding out for is for Honda to have cruise as an option on their new Africa Twin or the next generation NC700 type of bike. My next trip is to Tierra Del Fuego, and I'd really like to have the option of cruise for that long trip to the border and through northern Mexico. It's such a small thing, really. If Yamaha can do it on their Tenere, why not Honda?

Good work, tommy943. Just goes to show, where there's a will, there's a way.

I test rode a Triumph tiger 800 XCx this week. The cruise-control was great. Unfortunately that bike had an annoying front wheel hop that would drive you crazy on a long highway drone even with the wonderful cruise-control. Seems that front end flaw is common on the XC and newer XCx machinery.

Does the wheel hop show up on the XRx with the 19 inch wheel?

I honestly don't know as I have not ridden an XRx. Conjecture says probably not as the front forks are slightly different and it has a cast wheel rather than the spoke. The XRx is on my list for a test ride so I'll let you know when I do it, but I have nothing scheduled at the moment.

I have done it. As dedicated as I am to the automatic transmission I have closed the deal and purchased a beautiful (to me) Caspian Blue Triumph Tiger 800 XCx. That doesn't mean that I will be selling the trusty NC700XDE any time soon, but that there will be another set of wheels in the garage. The long ride home from Cascade Moto Classics in Beaverton, Oregon was made easy with the help of that wonderful cruise-control. Yes, I had to pedal away on the shift lever as pennance, but life is all about compromises it seems, and bikes are not immune from that. Probably, they are the most representative of that, actually, as I have never owned what I would call--the perfect--bike. Perfection, it seems, is illusive--the ever-changing goal that cannot quite ever be reached. So it goes. Let the accessorization begin!

The point of this post is to talk about something that I found could have made the journey so very much more relaxing--cruise control. Having purchased the NC about a year and a half ago I am sold on the automatic transmission and see no reason to go back to manual shifting. But now, with the type of journeying that I enjoy doing, cruise control would make life much easier. Call me lazy if you wish, but there is just no way to avoid long stretches of pavement here in the USA, or for that matter, Canada.

Why not?
Plus +1

There may be hope for us NC'ers not to have to sell our soul for almost plug and play 'real' cruise control. I am updating what is going on over on the http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...olunteer-needed.html?highlight=Cruise+control thread.

Ray

Ray did you get this working properly? I believe I installed a relay to switch this wire. Can not remember, but will look up exactly what I did if you or anyone needs help on this.
Tom

Ray did you get this working properly? I believe I installed a relay to switch this wire. Can not remember, but will look up exactly what I did if you or anyone needs help on this.
Tom
Hi Tom, glad to hear from you. First, to answer your question, no. This project went to the back burner during the fall and winter while the bike was in storage. With warmer and drier weather returning, I have to make a decision whether to advance in setting up an auxiliary brake switch as I planned in the other thread (...volunteer needed), or buy and try the unit from OZ, or drop the project entirely. Any info as to how your solution to connecting in the brake use cancelling control of the control without having a negative effect on the NC's computer would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

So I did use a relay for this violet brake wire. The relay keeps this wire grounded until until the brakes are pulled, which will then apply 12v to this violet wire

Back