• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Automatic and Cruise Control

goodvibes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
I've just finished a modified four corners trip that ended up at just shy of 16,000 miles. The modified part was that I rode west to east through Canada, going as far north as I could find roads, and ending in St John's Newfoundland before going south through the Maritime Provinces before heading south to Key West, Florida. After that it was westbound to San Diego and then north up the west coast to my home in Port Townsend, Washington. It was a great trip and many of you have done something similar.

The point of this post is to talk about something that I found could have made the journey so very much more relaxing--cruise control. Having purchased the NC about a year and a half ago I am sold on the automatic transmission and see no reason to go back to manual shifting. But now, with the type of journeying that I enjoy doing, cruise control would make life much easier. Call me lazy if you wish, but there is just no way to avoid long stretches of pavement here in the USA, or for that matter, Canada. The dilemma is that to get cruise control at the moment I would have to purchase a Triumph Tiger 800cc variant, or a BMW 1200 variant, or some other larger bike, which I am reluctant to do as I enjoy riding roads like the Trans Labrador Highway, which has hundreds of miles of interesting gravel road (I would not be using the cruise control on the gravel, of course). Honda is working diligently on the new Africa Twin, which interests me greatly and I would purchase the automatic transmission model of it. However, it will be a very difficult choice for me to choose the automatic transmission on the Africa Twin over the cruise control on the manual shift Triumph 800 XCx, or XRx. It would be great if Honda would offer cruise control with the automatic version of the new Africa Twin.

Why not?

Sounds like a very neat trip!

I've just come back from a work assignment in the PacNW, from Arizona, so I can sympathize with the desire for cruise control. My throttle lock is MUCH better than nothing, but cruise would be lovely for that type of riding. Coincidentally, I sat on and looked fairly closely at a couple of Tiger 800s in Portland when I was there. Tempting machines!

Tell me: Don't most bikes with actual cruise control employ throttle-by-wire these days? TBW makes cruise so much simpler (aka cheaper) to implement. That might be an obstacle to the NCX/CTX line, what with their value price points and all. Is the Africa Twin supposed to be TBW, do you know?

Hey GoodVibes
I'm jealous. Sounds like a great adventure.
You can put a throttle lock on your bike for less than $1.
I did it on my BMW R1200GS and it worked as good as the $100+ units like Throttlemeister and Koako.
Check out this YouTube video. So easy it's unreal.
BTW, it helps to have hand guards to keep everything in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sejkA3yk4uQ

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the hand guards I'm refereeing to are the kind that connect to the end of the handlebars so the O ring doesn't accidentally roll of the end and get lost.
You don't need the Caterpilar O ring. I went to the local hardware store and bought 3 different O rings for about $100 total because I wasn't sure which one would work/fit the best.
You want one fat enough to hold the throttle firmly and also so it doesn't drop all the way down into the groove allowing you to roll it back out.

Good thoughts, guys (gals). I already run a Universal Vista Cruise and throttle rocker and have Barkbusters, which as you already know work very well. The '03 Goldwing I used to own had cruise control, which I used virtually every time I rode it, but I'm not sure if it was fly by wire or push/pull tube and cable. But either way with up to date technology there is no reason other than manufacturer desire to shave cost that cruise control shouldn't be available equipment. Just look at Triumph; the 800 series are fine machines and it's the details that push people their direction. Of course after riding a Triumph for a while I'd probably be wishing I had the automatic transmission back. That's why I am agitating for both--just cannot be pleased with good enough I suppose.

Just an update on a previous question. The '03 Goldwing I used to own did not have fly-by-wire throttle, so the cruise control was of the old fashioned sort and worked very well, indeed. There seems to be some confusion out there that electronic or FBW throttle is required for cruise control to be installed--it is not required. ANY bike can be fitted with cruise control. Let me repeat. Any bike can be fitted with cruise control. It's just a matter of manufacturer perception of what people want. I want it!

Just an update on a previous question. The '03 Goldwing I used to own did not have fly-by-wire throttle, so the cruise control was of the old fashioned sort and worked very well, indeed. There seems to be some confusion out there that electronic or FBW throttle is required for cruise control to be installed--it is not required. ANY bike can be fitted with cruise control. Let me repeat. Any bike can be fitted with cruise control. It's just a matter of manufacturer perception of what people want. I want it!

There is at least one brand of "generic" electronic cruise control that you can theoretically install on any bike you want, but darn it I can't recall the name offhand. I'll keep poking at the old memory.

Alternatively, Yamaha Super Tenere on your radar? Those are pretty awesome machines. Rather big, but talk about comfort and abilities beyond it's scope! 2014 and up ES models have cruise control.

A bunch of folks in the BMW K-bike world put the Audiovox 100 cruise controls on their K1100LTs. I bought one of these systems for my K1100LT, but sold the bike before I even opened the box for the cruise control system.

I, too, really like using my cruise control in my car. Never had one on a motorcycle, but I think I'd really like it. Might have to be a winter project to see if I can fit it to the NC.

Actually, since you asked, what is on my radar is the Triumph 800 XCx. For reasons of: more power, cruise control, better suspension, more fuel range, and in a package that is lighter than the NC. Sadly, what I would be giving up is the automatic transmission. What I found was that on a long trip I would give up the automatic for the other reasons stated above.

Actually, since you asked, what is on my radar is the Triumph 800 XCx. For reasons of: more power, cruise control, better suspension, more fuel range, and in a package that is lighter than the NC. Sadly, what I would be giving up is the automatic transmission. What I found was that on a long trip I would give up the automatic for the other reasons stated above.

If you plan to ride mostly on roads, the XRx gives all that plus 19/17 inch cast wheels and tubeless tires. A 21 inch is not going to corner as well on pavement and the tube vs. tubeless debate can provide hours of entertaining reading. Personally, I won't buy another bike with tube type tires. I have my 1976 BMW if I want to immerse myself in the technology of yesteryear.

That is a good point. In your original post you said something about the type of journeys you are now doing -which (from your post) are long. I also like long days in the saddle. Even though it's heavier by 100 pounds, go ride a Tenere with cruise control. You owe it to yourself to consider all choices.
I'm biased because I have a 2012 Tenere. I looked at a Tiger 1050 before I got the Tenere. Did the internet cruising about both. Seems the British have a few more glitches than the Jap bikes.
That said, I go with lower mileage used bikes. Let the original owner take the depreciation and work out the glitches if there are any.
Got off the original topic a bit (cruise control) but not far.

Back on topic: The importance of cruise control is a personal thing. I have "real" cruise control (as opposed to a throttle lock) on my Goldwing and I almost never use it. To have it on the NC would be a very low priority for me. I'd guess Honda looks at the motorcycle market and the expense of the feature and decides it's not a good business decision.

Last edited:
Back on topic: The importance of cruise control is a personal thing. I have "real" cruise control (as opposed to a throttle lock) on my Goldwing and I almost never use it. To have in on the NC would be a very low priority for me. I'd guess Honda looks at the motorcycle market and the expense of the feature and decides it's not a good business decision.

Any way you cut it, our NC's are "budget built" motorcycles and I am sure that cruise never made the potential features list. There is a (maybe small) market for smaller, lighter weight luxury vehicles. The car companies finally figured this out. Looking at the specs for the Triumph 800 XRx it looks as if they have a lot to offer. Also it is good that they offer a number of variants (XR, XC, XrX, XCx). There are no NC variants in the states other than the transmissions. It is all DIY or limited aftermarket (Rally Raid, etc.). If I wanted cruise control, I would just add it to my NC. In fact, I may do that. I try to avoid interstates, but If I have to drive the full length of I-81 again, I may stop on the side of the road and install cruise control.

Actually, since you asked, what is on my radar is the Triumph 800 XCx.

I just saved myself a bunch of money. I watched a Youtube video on adjusting the valves of the Triumph 800. Whew! That was close. Easier to add cruise to the NC. At least you only have to do it ONCE!

An issue that I run into on almost every trip that I do is that it is necessary to ride for great distances on pavement to get to the gravel places that intrigue me. Then afterward it is necessary to ride great distances on pavement to get home. It's just not a perfect world. I don't haul a bike anywhere and I don't do fly-in types of rides. I just get on my current ride and go there then come home. What that means is compromises. The XRx would work but experience has shown me that bent cast wheels happen. Tube tires are not my first preference and I cannot imagine why Triumph put them on their XCx when folks like BMW and KTM have put them aside as products of yesteryear. On the other hand sometimes you must make a choice of what's available now according to your personal preference list. Lots of good comments on this thread and thanks for all of them. You're a thoughtful bunch.

Back