• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ATGATT ... really? I mean really?

Like Possummanj, I am a MOTGMOTT rider for the last 57 years and make no excuses for it. I know the risks and I accept them. Always helmet, always jacket, always gloves some of the time mc pants (always when I am touring), some of the time mc boots, sometimes Levi's and most of the time tactical boots.

My wife and I wear a lot more gear now

6aAz0Nhh.jpg

than we did in 1977 lol

y4cr75Ph.jpg

Like Possummanj, I am a MOTGMOTT rider for the last 57 years and make no excuses for it. I know the risks and I accept them. Always helmet, always jacket, always gloves some of the time mc pants (always when I am touring), some of the time mc boots, sometimes Levi's and most of the time tactical boots.

My wife and I wear a lot more gear now
Looking good in both pictures.

As with many here, not quite ATGATT. For me, the only thing that’s optional is pants. Try to get that image out of your head. What I mean is, when commuting, I don’t generally wear my MC pants, just jeans. However, my boots cover my shins, and they are proper MC boots. My size 14 feet have caused me to use non-MC boots at times due to lack of options, but proper boots are important. Lower leg injuries are by some accounts the most common. They’re not the most serious, but your feet/ankles are your foundation. You don’t want cracks. The only injury fall I’ve had in 50+ years of riding resulted in fractured metacarpals. Good gloves prevented worse. Other parts of my upper body came down hard, and came away unhurt. My helmet was scraped along the chin and jaw. With an open-face, that would have been skin and bone. So gloves, armoured jacket, full-face helmet, and tall boots are mandatory at all times. When riding in heavy traffic, or at highway speeds/extended periods, riding pants with hip/knee protection.

I don't do pants. I use my bike mostly to commute to work. White collar, business casual, so I wear street shoes. When I'm riding for a distance, I do where hiking boots that go over the ankle.
If it's over 90 degrees I also have a 3/4 helmet.
So I'm an AATGATT (Almost ATGATT) I suppose.

I wear either a leather armoured jacket or an AA armoured textile jacket, helmet,, gloves boots and pants (trousers)...all the time, whether a long ride or just to the shops
Trousers range from Kevlar jeans, to touring leathers to textile winter gear. I also have some mesh summer trousers on their way. All are armoured. Boots are either mid touring boots or ankle town boots. I tend to only wear the ankle boots with jeans and don't really like the lack of protection. I do not wear the jeans for long journeys. On the odd day I have to go to the office I change as it is a 120km round trip.
It adds 10 minutes on to leaving the house and probably saves weeks in hospital. They keep me warm in winter combined with base layers. Yeah, I sweat a bit in summer but we don't get really hot summers and the mesh gear will help. It probably takes as long to get the chains etc off the bike and do a walk around as it takes to get the gear on.
It also looks better than not having the gear. :)
The only people I see without the gear are moped riders and kids who are riding around on stolen bikes. Luckily I don't see much of the latter, only in Dublin.
I'm not bothered about going into cafes or shops wearing full gear. I don't wear race leathers or anything like that and people are used to bikers.
I have always worn all the gear, even before armoured stuff came in, I wore leathers and boots. I honestly wouldn't feel right without it.

I wear it all. Boots, jacket, gloves with palm sliders, jacket with level 2 armor, full face helmet, Kevlar jeans. I usually wear Bohn armor pants under but that is sometimes the piece I skip. Also wear a high viz vest every time too. Visibility is the most critical safety feature for riding in my opinion. I commute as often as possible and just change at work. Dedicated gear for each situation.

Ouch indeed. I sell gear, and the hardest sell is the footwear. I try to point out that lower leg/foot injuries are the most common, and I often just get a shrug. I should have taken a picture of my motorcycle on my foot after a minor low speed knock-down so they could see how it’s NOT being crushed.

I won't share anything graphic, but I've personally seen what I recall the paramedics call "degloving" of the hand after a motorcycle accident. Not good. The more quality gear the better.

Anybody with freakishly wide feet like me, 13 4E, found motorcycle boots that work for them? When I walk with bare feet on tile floor it sounds like a salmon landing on a countertop.

I won't share anything graphic, but I've personally seen what I recall the paramedics call "degloving" of the hand after a motorcycle accident. Not good. The more quality gear the better.

Anybody with freakishly wide feet like me, 13 4E, found motorcycle boots that work for them? When I walk with bare feet on tile floor it sounds like a salmon landing on a countertop.
Call Atomic Moto. They specialize in boots. I have normal wide feet but I would look towards trials boots for wider toe box

Back