• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Arkansas rides on and off road

Does it warm up much in Feb? Are you free then? Really it isn't a rush. Would be cool if all three of us, or more, could get together.

We usually get a warm weekend in Feb and then it turns cold again. March is cold, April is tolerable, in May I can finally put up the long johns.....then again I'm a deep southern boy so other's opinions may be different.

Cool video I had fun watching it here at work. Boreddd out of my mind. I would recommend trying iMovie if you have a mac. I found that it helps make videos a lot easier..

I live in the Fort Smith area. When you guys decide to do the Ozark ride and camp, I would really like to join if you don't mind. Hope to have my NC in a couple of weeks. The video was great, don't believe my Wing could have made the ride.

Hi Ed! Welcome! I believe you will be the fifth NCX rider on the forum from Arkansas. The gang is growing :D

I grew up to the north of there, in Illinois and Missouri, I have never ridden down there... that is something I need to remedy soon. I've been hearing there are some great roads in that area for some time now, and I've never been there to find out yet...

I grew up to the north of there, in Illinois and Missouri, I have never ridden down there... that is something I need to remedy soon. I've been hearing there are some great roads in that area for some time now, and I've never been there to find out yet...

It is a different style of riding for me. I spent a lot of years riding in NC. I lived in Fayetteville for 12 years and I used to ride with a group that usually rode back roads all the way to Rockingham or further. If memory serves me some of the routes we road used to be railroad tracks that were removed and paved. These roads had nice long straightaways and soft curves. After that I moved to central Illinois. Lived there 7 years. There is not a whole lots of hills there. Lots of corn and soy bean fields.

Arkansas is a whole new experience for me. It doesn't take long to get out of Little Rock and find some twisties in the hills. Less than 30 minutes and I'm riding in some heavily wooded area with lots of curves. It's nice but has taken some getting used to.

I ride throughout Arkansas quite frequently, was there twice last month on 550 mile round trips from my house. If you get the chance I suggest Highway 374 right off Scenic Highway 7 near Jasper. Then take 123 to Mount Judea and connect back with 16 and decide where you want to go from there. I haven't found a bad road yet in that portion of the state.

Put the new tires on (Full Bore/Shinko 705) and the next day we got a sleet storm that took most of the week to melt. When Saturday rolled around it was only in the 30s which is warm for this winter and the forecast was for 60s. Ate breakfast and tires were calling me to try them out so I hopped on to ride around town and then decided what the heck I'll go brave some mud. Headed up to Dover and tried out Treat Rd. The tires were great on damp dirt and half dry mud. After the valley it got really wet and slippery. In the switchbacks right before the bridge I basically locked the rear and slid through them. Even ran through some icy patches. I had several miles of mostly first gear and legs in outrigger mode. In that stuff they were slipping around a lot but they never gave up. I was impressed with how well they cleared out. I was exhausted by the time I hit 123. Front brake and fender were packed with mud. Found a stick and dug a bunch out before hitting the road.
On a side note youtube is still frustrating me with video. Crystal clear before I upload and then it gets muddy. Seems to have an issue with shadows. Anyhow here are some snippets from the ride.

Muddy Treat RD 720 - YouTube

Nice video Mate. The area around Treat didn't get electricity until the early 80s and didn't get phone service until the early 90s. It's quite remote and if you listen carefully you can hear the banjos echoing through the canyons.

I worked with a girl from that area back in college. Her wedding was arranged by her parents when she was 16 years old. True Hillbillies in them thar parts of the woods.......but I love it.
Mike

Nice video! I felt like I got to do the ride without having to clean up the bike!

Good video Bama. Your much braver than me. Maybe if I had the right tires. I like the comments about the man cave. That is probably as close as you can get without it being an actual cave. LOL.

On a side note, that looks like an awesome place to take my Jeep.

Good video Bama. Your much braver than me. Maybe if I had the right tires. I like the comments about the man cave. That is probably as close as you can get without it being an actual cave. LOL.

On a side note, that looks like an awesome place to take my Jeep.

It would be a good place to take the jeep. I see quite a few jeeps around the area. Found a great place with a swimming hole, I think it is on the Piney River, that I think the whole family would enjoy. As I learn more of the area I’m sure I’ll find more stuff. Thought about a jeep and motorcycle trip.

Testing out the suspension mods. This 'road' ran into a long mud hole so I turned around. Have to ride it again when it is dry

[video=youtube_share;m-8msPNJYyI]http://youtu.be/m-8msPNJYyI[/video]

Last edited:
Testing out the suspension mods. This 'road' ran into a long mud hole so I turned around. Have to ride it again when it is dry

Very nice video. You did a good job in picking your lines. Wish I could still venture off by myself into the woods, but with these knees those days are gone until I get some new knees next winter. Just do not have the leg strength right now to ride standing up all day or pick up the motorcycle by myself, as you well know from helping pick me up. However, I still do go off road when I have some help with me. Hope to see you soon at Fuzzy's Arkansas ride.

Last edited:
This is NF1814 which runs between Jake Creek and Pilot Rock. I've seen it many times from Pilot Rock and it looked like a nice road like the previous video. Turned out to be a bit rougher and steeper than I expected but was a good challenge for building my skills.

[video=youtube_share;oULaW8vo_Ls]http://youtu.be/oULaW8vo_Ls[/video]

Last edited:
Back