• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are my factory ties gone already?

I bought a Michelin Pilot Road 4 yesterday. I accidentally ordered a 150/70R17 and called back to change it. On my ride home the dealer called to say the 160/70R17 I wanted isn't listed, they ordered me a 160/60R17. They said I'd like it better anyway, because it corners better than the taller tire. Won't that throw off my speedo? Any thoughts?

That's the one I want. This is what I found at Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore with free shipping in the US.

Front: 120/70ZR–17 radial
PR3 $124 USD
PR4 $143 USD

Rear: 160/60ZR–17 radial
PR3 $165 USD
PR4 $176 USD

I think the PR3's would be fine but for just a little more $$$ I choose the PR4's.

I found equivalent prices in CAD (considering the exchange rate) with free shipping at https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ which is where I will be buying.

Got a quote of $45 CAD per wheel to mount and balance (I must remove the wheels and deliver to the shop), I'm going to attempt it myself first. Should I change the valves too?

That's the one I want. This is what I found at Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore with free shipping in the US.

PR3 $124 USD
PR4 $143 USD

PR3 $165 USD
PR4 $176 USD

I think the PR3's would be fine but for just a little more $$$ I choose the PR4's.

I found equivalent prices in CAD (considering the exchange rate) with free shipping at https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/ which is where I will be buying.

Got a quote of $45 CAD per wheel to mount and balance (I must remove the wheels and deliver to the shop), I'm going to attempt it myself first. Should I change the valves too?

I finally realize the dealer bought my bike from is over-priced. My 600 mile tune-up was ~$185. Their delivery/setup fee for the bike was ~$800. The price they quoted me on the PR4 was $249 (when I LOL'd at the price they caved and offered it for $189). They want $98 to mount/balance the tire and wouldn't accept appointments (first come first served only). In their defense, they are by far the largest and best-known dealership in middle TN and are packed every time I go in there.

My NEW local dealer (about 15 minutes further away) looked up the PR4 I wanted on Motorcycle Superstore and matched their price for me, which I though was pretty cool of them. However, I should have ordered it myself, because I had to pay sales tax (9.75% here). On the upside...it'll be here Tuesday and I can drop my rear wheel off Wednesday and they'll mount/balance for $26.10 or $78.20 if I ride it in.

PR3 $124 USD
PR4 $143 USD

PR3 $165 USD
PR4 $176 USD

A shop often wants to change the valve stem with every tire change. I think that's not necessary but the rubber ones do need regular replacement. I usually install Ariete or equivalent billet aluminum 83 degree metal stems with the first tire change. They last forever and may be somewhat easier to use with gas station air hoses.

My 2016 dunlop tires have 3100 miles on them and they still look new.

I get rear wheel slips sometimes under acceleration mid corner when I'm way over on the chicken strips so there's still more breaking in to do on the edges, or I just need to stop pushing it so hard. :)

I think they fixed whatever problems they had with them.

I get rear wheel slips sometimes under acceleration mid corner when I'm way over on the chicken strips so there's still more breaking in to do on the edges, or I just need to stop pushing it so hard. :)

My bike is a 2015 that I bought in December. So, the fix must have been really recent or you are a smaller rider that rides more conservatively. Either way, I'm glad you are getting more life than I am.

A shop often wants to change the valve stem with every tire change. I think that's not necessary but the rubber ones do need regular replacement. I usually install Ariete or equivalent billet aluminum 83 degree metal stems with the first tire change. They last forever and may be somewhat easier to use with gas station air hoses.

Hey Dduelin, how much did you pay for all of your equipment to remove, mount and balance the tires yourself? I was looking at a motion pro tool that I saw used on a Youtube Motorcyclist video with Ari Henning and the balancing stand he used. It was almost $200 to get that setup.

Hey Dduelin, how much did you pay for all of your equipment to remove, mount and balance the tires yourself? I was looking at a motion pro tool that I saw used on a Youtube Motorcyclist video with Ari Henning and the balancing stand he used. It was almost $200 to get that setup.
I have tools to block up the bike and remove the wheels but I don't have a tire mounting machine. I do have a simple static wheel balancer and some tire irons and spoons and have demounted and mounted tubed tires at home but nowadays I take the wheels to a shop.

It has rained every day since I got fresh rubber on the back, so I haven't worn the shine off yet. I gotta say, this is a good looking tire, I'm optimistic, only 60 miles on it...
bfd4c8a849c55efb686d3d8a29a851fb.jpg

Hey dduelin what size is the valve stem
8.3 or 11.3? I want to order a pair for my next tire change and I know that you know your stuff :)

If anybody rides all street and you change your tires yourself, Continental motion is the way to go. Don't last as long (5,500 to 7,500 miles rear) as the PR3/4 (8,000 to 10,000 miles rear) but a lot lower cost:
$88.77 Rear
$62.92 Front
An important note for Continental Motion Rear tires, there does not appear to be a wear bar in the middle and you may not notice you are at the end of the life of the tire until the steel belts start showing up. You then have less than 200 miles to go.

I am just beginning test out TCK80 on front and SHINKO 705 on rear for 70% street and 30% gravel roads.

Last edited:
Hey dduelin what size is the valve stem
8.3 or 11.3? I want to order a pair for my next tire change and I know that you know your stuff :)

I ordered an 11.3 valve stem for my latest tire change (guessed) and it is too big, so I am thinking 8.3 -- or something else.
Then again, I have the 2016 with the right angle valves.

Got 6375 miles with them. Rode 3275 more miles since that post. :) Put on PR4's front and back, $315 shipped from BikeBandit.

Spent about that much in motion pro tire tools too (irons, balancer, bead blaster, rim protectors, weights, valves, small scissor jack etc...) and borrowed a compressor.

It only took me four hours from start to finish and that includes adjusting, cleaning and lubing the chain.

11.3 mm fit my ST1300 and NC700(s). And thanks.
any reason you went with the 83° instead 90° I'm going to get a fender extender and if I get my valve stems from the same place I get free shipping :) and they only have 90° they are bikemaster brand if anyone has any experience with them good or bad please speak up

My OEM Dunlop Trailmax tires are still 'good' at 12,000 kms / 7,500 miles, maybe I'll set a record!

0 - tach.jpg

Front
1 front.jpg

Rear
2 rear.jpg

almost 7400 miles on my Bridgestone BT023, most of that in the past 7 weeks

Back