• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are Motorcycles Really More Practical and Economical?

Enforcer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been riding motorcycles for the past 45 years and have often heard others rationalize and justify the purchase of a motorcycle because it would be more practical and economical than driving their car. This got me thinking about my own situation.

I own a 1998 Honda Civic that looks and drives as good as the day I bought it. It gets 34 mpg (better than some bikes I have owned) and for $380.00 I can put a set of tires on it that will last 50,000 miles. I change the oil every 7500 miles and I have driven 165,000 basically trouble free miles. It cost me $40.00 a year to tag and I just carry liability insurance on it.

I can put on my shorts and t-shirt and drive to California tomorrow. If it starts to rain, I don't get wet. If I get cold, I turn on the heater. If I get hot, I turn on the air conditioner. The wind does not beat me up, and I don't need to wear ear plugs. I can talk to someone sitting next to me without an intercom system, and I can take everything I could possibly need with me. At the end of the day, my clothes are not covered with smashed bugs. If an armadillo runs out in front of me on the highway, well too bad for the God's creature.

For the purchase price of the motorcycle, tag and insurance, tires, sprockets and chain sets, farkles and more farkles, and on top of that fuel cost; I can buy a lot of gasoline for my car.

I realize that I don't get to work by lane splitting in horrendous rush hour traffic like some of you do. Parking is not a problem where I live.

After thinking about my question, the truth of the matter for me is that I ride a motorcycle because I WANT TO, and I really, really enjoy it.

An MC is lower initiel cost, lower gas cost and lower insurance. Maintenance costs are much higher. Convenience and comfort are subjective. I ride for the pleasure of it, not cost savings.

A NC would have used more than 5,000 fewer gallons of gas over your Civic.

I agree, we all ride because we want to. I'm not sure there is a more economical option than a well built, well maintained economy car like the civic.
I like to compare my NC to a new smart for two car. Both can seat 2 and carry a small amount of luggage. Even loaded down the NC gets better MPG, looks way better and people don't make fun of me for having one.

Gigs

I guess it would really matter what type of passenger vehicle you have. My "car" is a jeep wrangler. I have spent more on modifications than the purchase price of the jeep. Yes it keeps me warm in the winter and doesn't keep me cool in the summer because I keep the top off. My fuel economy is terrible. I get about 14mpg. My tires are at least $400 a piece and that is if I stick with 35s. I installed a supercharger so that has added extra maintenance on top of the standard maintenance already done.

All of this is my choice.

I have mentioned this previously. My dealer offered me a maintenance plan. I quoted it wrong here in the past. I thought it was a three year plan where it is actually a 4 year unlimited miles zero out of pocket maintenance. Plus a new set of tires free. I had to pay and extra $750 (I quoted $600 in past). So for four years I take my bike in every 4000miles and they change the oil, lub, top off fluids, adjust chain and inspect the bike for free.

In my case my NCX is saving me a ton of money. Just on gas alone it saves me $200 a month and I have no maintenance costs for 4 years.

I'm sure everyone's situation is different. For those of us that do not choose to drive economical vehicles in the first place we may actually be saying money riding this bike. I ride the NCX to work daily and my jeep hits the trails on the weekend. I like this arrangement.

$750 for all maintenance, wow. If you ride a ton of miles that would definitely be worth it. Does that include mount and balance for tires?

Everyone's situation may be different. I have a mandatory company provided car with unlimited local personal mileage for a monthly fee. Every motorcycle I buy, every farkle, and every single mile I ride on a motorcycle is purely just added expense and for pleasure only.

Greg

$750 for all maintenance, wow. If you ride a ton of miles that would definitely be worth it. Does that include mount and balance for tires?

The first set yes. The future sets. I have not asked and could not give a truthful answer.

Compared to a reliable econobox like a Civic or Tercel or equivalent, the NC will save you a nickel per mile on gasoline, which you will then spend (plus a little) for tires, chains, clothing, and increased maintenance costs. You will net out a couple hundred per year more money for the added risk, inconvenience, discomfort, and fun of the NC.

In other words, you do it because you like it and not to save money. Every time there is a significant sustained fuel price increase, bike sales jump. The Arab oil embargo of 1973 was the signature event. Then invariably, they come up for sale in the used market with a few scuffs on one side or the other and low miles. The undedicated new riders were shocked to learn that a motorcycle is most stable lying on its side and that the weather on the other side of the windshield can be downright inhospitable.

My commute to work is less than 5 miles one way. It takes me longer to gear-up than to get to work. When I ride home after work, I head 30 miles out of my way just to get a fun relaxing ride in. My NC's fuel economy is nearly five times that of my Jeep. Most of my miles are for pure recreation, and the gas I burn strictly because I love to ride. My motorcycle does not replace my four wheeled vehicle, I'm paying to own that too.

In the UK you can get a small family car for the price of a middle sized bike. There are certainly plenty of cars available for the price of my CBF1000. Many cars these days get better fuel mileage than many bikes and often cost less to insure. Cars have longer intervals between services and their tyres last much longer and in general cost less You don't get wet and cold in a car therefore don't have to spend a fourtune on weather proof gear and as your far less likely to fall onto the road you don't need expensive protective gear.
In view of all the above why I always choose to ride and not even obtain a car licence? The answer is simple bikes are FUN!!!!

I've been riding for some 45 years and I'd take the Honda Civic over a motorcycle if $'s were my main concern. I realize that some have a motorcycle as their main way of getting around and $'s are a concern for them, but this is usually short lived as they find ways to get into a car because the motorcycle just doesn't work over the long haul. If we lived like they do in Europe then a bike would work, but that's not the way it is here, there whole way of living is much different then ours. Those riders with only bikes usually have parents, friends, brother and sisters that have to assist them with transportation at times, why be a burden to them.

John

What better way to escape than on a motorcycle? The sense of freedom feels more complete on two wheels, and riding doesn't transport you to a destination; it is the destination.1.jpg

SmileyPrisonerBallAndChain.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Trainman I have no siblings and my parents never owned a car (couldn't afford it) and we never ask friends for a lift so I certainly do NOT fit your description When our son was small we used public transport and as soon as he was big enough to do so safely he rode pillion.
We are just dedicated motorcyclist. As I may have posted before I have 3 passions in my life which are my family my bikes and my football (soccer) team not always in that order* so I dont it fair to generalise
*[COLOR="#FF0000"] At the moment as I'm sitting at work following the match on my computer football is the priority :)

Last edited:
In my case, having a bike is an expense in the budget. I spent money and labour hours for the bike and riding because merely the enjoyment out of it is just priceless.

I'm with n30r3l0ad3d and Sargent Chuck, the bike makes sense in the warm months because my other vehicle loves its fuel. Unfortunately it's getting to be that time of year when the bikes go away, and I'll have to get use to spending more time at the pumps.

Rocker66, you just illustrated trainman's point. In Europe you have mass transportation. Things are denser. In America, mass transit is a joke. There are large areas where it completely doesn't exist. Where I live there is one bus stop about a mile away and the bus stops by maybe twice a day. If my theoretical future children were less theoretical, it would be an all day affair to get. to a Dr appt. Probably two hours for a check up, three hours to the hospital for any specialty visit. And many states require children to be 8 years old to ride pillion. That's a lot of public transportation.
As to the original post, if we were all only concerned with cost, we'd be driving well used sub-compact cars. But where's the fun in that?

Rocker66, you just illustrated trainman's point. In Europe you have mass transportation. Things are denser. In America, mass transit is a joke. There are large areas where it completely doesn't exist. Where I live there is one bus stop about a mile away and the bus stops by maybe twice a day. If my theoretical future children were less theoretical, it would be an all day affair to get. to a Dr appt. Probably two hours for a check up, three hours to the hospital for any specialty visit. And many states require children to be 8 years old to ride pillion. That's a lot of public transportation.
As to the original post, if we were all only concerned with cost, we'd be driving well used sub-compact cars. But where's the fun in that?

It was the following that I thought was an unfair generalisation "Those riders with only bikes usually have parents, friends, brother and sisters that have to assist them with transportation at times, why be a burden to them." as it doesn't describe Sue and I and some others that I know
I don't think that I have ever been a burden to anyone except maybe my parents when I was young

Back