• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anything you wish was different/better about your NC700?

How can you compare this bike to a $11-12k bike?

that was my first thought too... i've never even heard of a mana before, but it does look like a pretty nice bike. still. could have 1 and a half NC's for that price

I looked up the Mana also and was impressed until I finished reading about it. The price is definitely a killer. Not having a manual/clutch model choice doesn't work for me. With automatic transmission, the power advantage of 75 hp is gone. The specs on it show 13.6 seconds for 0-60 mph. Anyone know how that compares with the clutchless NC? The manual NC should be able to match or beat that easily. Build quality looks better, but for the price tag, that should be a given. Gas mileage is rated at 48.5 mpg. I just got 70 mpg on my first NC tank.

So, possibly 20 mpg less gas mileage with no performance advantage for $4-5k more.

I almost forgot to mention the V-twin vibration and trying to find a service center in the US.

I'll be sticking with the Honda.

Last edited:
I looked up the Mana also and was impressed until I finished reading about it. The price is definitely a killer. Not having a manual/clutch model choice doesn't work for me. With automatic transmission, the power advantage of 75 hp is gone. The specs on it show 13.6 seconds for 0-60 mph. Anyone know how that compares with the clutchless NC? The manual NC should be able to match or beat that easily. Build quality looks better, but for the price tag, that should be a given. Gas mileage is rated at 48.5 mpg. I just got 70 mpg on my first NC tank.

So, possibly 20 mpg less gas mileage with no performance advantage for $4-5k more.

I almost forgot to mention the V-twin vibration and trying to find a service center in the US.

I agree with most of your comments but how can you not like the feel of a V twin?

Twisted Throttle wants $215 for that $2 piece of plastic....

Agree on the hugger. The NCX should have one. Even the CBR250R, a low cost entry level bike, has an integrated chain guard/hugger. I know keeping costs low was essential to the project, but what did Honda save on the NCX without a hugger? $2 work of plastic?

Greg

I agree with most of your comments but how can you not like the feel of a V twin?

I agree with this statement, albeit with a proviso; "a 90*-ish V-Twin"

I specifically don't like (no offense to anyone of course) the narrow angle V-Twins found in customs and cruisers. I absolutely hate the sound and hate the vibes.

A "sporty" V-Twin, with a 90* angle or very close, now we're talking! (Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki TL, Honda RC51, CX series etc., etc., NOM NOM NOM!)

So with the NCX pseudo mimicry of a 90* V, it's one of the main reasons I bought the bike. Most of the good sound and feel, but without the extra hassle. (twice the amount of work for valve adjustments, and trying to get at a second cylinder's valves can be a real bastard on some V-Twins, depending on orientation in the frame. A few exceptions to this, most noteably, the Honda CX bikes and Moto Guzzi, awesome to work on!)

As to some of my NC700X downs, I would include my dislike for the wonky horn/turn signal button. Yuck!

I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap effective replacement from some other bike with a "normal" left switch gear pod.

Not a big fan of the rear seat flip and fuel design at all. The one thing I cannot say bad about my F800ST, was it's perfect fuel filler placement and ease of use. Perfect. But, since I also plan on trying to replace the NCX rear seat with either a cargo shelf or some clever fuel cell-like contraption, meh, I'll deal with the seat flip for now.

Honda is demented for making the accessory bundling so absurdly obtuse and difficult to assemble. I also think, no matter how easy it is to do, the expectation of the owner having to cut their own bodywork to fit a "designed specifically for this bike" OEM accessory, is beyond ignorant. It's laughable, really!

I wish it's rev limiter wasn't so "brick wall" when you reach it. Surely a more gradual or softer limiter kick in, would be better.

The 6th gear bizarre cyclic throbbing thing. This cannot be what they meant by a designed in deliberate "character" throb or pulse thing. Make it go away!

I feel the NCX's rear flanks don't have to be quite so sculpted, thin, high and swoopy. For me, it would have been much better to make a bit more "junk in the trunk thicker booty", to be able to either have a larger fuel tank, or more cargo nooks 'n crannies. It's too stylized for me.

14 litres is not enough. Don't care if it gets 100 mpg. 14 litres is not enough!

The wheels. Whomever designs wheels with tiny little gaps and/or U shaped grooves in them, should be shot. Not big enough for a finger and rag to get in to clean, making a scrub brush or tooth brush required? Stoopid. Thank gawd they're black and not silver or something though, at least. Yikes my beemer's silver/gray wheels were vile to constantly clean, and there was no chain lube fling to worry about!*

* 'though admittedly, I don't plan on being excessively fastidious about wheel or any other kind of cleaning with this bike, it's going to head more towards mud puddles and mess than away from them, lol. Yaaaay!

Last edited:
I agree with this statement, albeit with a proviso; "a 90*-ish V-Twin"

I specifically don't like (no offense to anyone of course) the narrow angle V-Twins found in customs and cruisers. I absolutely hate the sound and hate the vibes.

A "sporty" V-Twin, with a 90* angle or very close, now we're talking! (Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki TL, Honda RC51, CX series etc., etc., NOM NOM NOM!)

So with the NCX pseudo mimicry of a 90* V, it's one of the main reasons I bought the bike. Most of the good sound and feel, but without the extra hassle. (twice the amount of work for valve adjustments, and trying to get at a second cylinder's valves can be a real bastard on some V-Twins, depending on orientation in the frame. A few exceptions to this, most noteably, the Honda CX bikes and Moto Guzzi, awesome to work on!)

As to some of my NC700X downs, I would include my dislike for the wonky horn/turn signal button. Yuck!

I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap effective replacement from some other bike with a "normal" left switch gear pod.

Not a big fan of the rear seat flip and fuel design at all. The one thing I cannot say bad about my F800ST, was it's perfect fuel filler placement and ease of use. Perfect. But, since I also plan on trying to replace the NCX rear seat with either a cargo shelf or some clever fuel cell-like contraption, meh, I'll deal with the seat flip for now.

Honda is demented for making the accessory bundling so absurdly obtuse and difficult to assemble. I also think, no matter how easy it is to do, the expectation of the owner having to cut their own bodywork to fit a "designed specifically for this bike" OEM accessory, is beyond ignorant. It's laughable, really!

I wish it's rev limiter wasn't so "brick wall" when you reach it. Surely a more gradual or softer limiter kick in, would be better.

The 6th gear bizarre cyclic throbbing thing. This cannot be what they meant by a designed in deliberate "character" throb or pulse thing. Make it go away!

I feel the NCX's rear flanks don't have to be quite so sculpted, thin, high and swoopy. For me, it would have been much better to make a bit more "junk in the trunk thicker booty", to be able to either have a larger fuel tank, or more cargo nooks 'n crannies. It's too stylized for me.

14 litres is not enough. Don't care if it gets 100 mpg. 14 litres is not enough!

The wheels. Whomever designs wheels with tiny little gaps and/or U shaped grooves in them, should be shot. Not big enough for a finger and rag to get in to clean, making a scrub brush or tooth brush required? Stoopid. Thank gawd they're black and not silver or something though, at least. Yikes my beemer's silver/gray wheels were vile to constantly clean, and there was no chain lube fling to worry about!*

* 'though admittedly, I don't plan on being excessively fastidious about wheel or any other kind of cleaning with this bike, it's going to head more towards mud puddles and mess than away from them, lol. Yaaaay!
Of course as an ex Ducati owner I should point out that although most of us call them as V-Twins they should more correctly be refered to as L-Twins

Well I test rode the Mana in fairly grotty weather early this year but despite that I can remember that the performance was definitely better than the NC. However, it was not as pleasant to ride - very vibey at the top end. I spoke to a long time lady owner when I took the demo back and she said the fuel consumption if ridden normally is very good. Probably about what you are quoting - so that's as good as an ER6 or Versys. I had a Versys and got 57mpg (UK) I ride the NC700X more gently than I did the Versys and I get 67mpg UK so the mpg is not as different as you might think. I'm sure there's a mistake in that 13.6 seconds to 60mph (more likely the standing 1/4 mile figure). I would guess the Mana does 0-60 in about 4.2 secs.
The auto gearbox on the NC is what appealed to me so it also did on the Mana. The advantage with the Mana is you get paddles and a footshifter - if you want the footshifter on the NC it's another £200. Disadvantage with the Mana is of course the transmission losses of the CVT. I was going to add that the gear indicator was a load of crap, but of course if it's CVT there is no gear - I must be confusing that aspect of it with the Shiver that I rode.
Aprilia dealers in the UK know what they are up against with great bikes coming out from Honda Triumph etc, and I could have got a deal on the Mana GT that put it pretty close to the NC700X DCT.

I'll be sticking with the Honda too ;)
Mike

Of course as an ex Ducati owner I should point out that although most of us call them as V-Twins they should more correctly be refered to as L-Twins

Heh heh, it did cross my mind to bracket the "90*-ish" with an ("L") in my missive there, for those possibly concerned about such appellations, but promptly forgot...

Personally I don't subscribe to the "correctness" of the term, though. I just don't see the need or relevance to make the distinction.

Is it because of the 90*, or the lower cylinder almost horizontal and the upper almost vertical Inline orientation in the frame?

I always called my NS400R with its two down, one up 3 cylinder arrangement, a V-3. (Albeit a "wide angle" 112* V) I wonder if some people would call that an L-three.

A Honda CB750K with a cylinder bank angle of 15* is simply a transverse four. A Yamaha FZ750 with it's cylinders at 45*, and a BMW K1300 with it's 55* tilt, the same. No need to make a distinction between them because of how the cylinders are oriented from nearly vertical to nearly horizontal, IMHO.

KTM 990 Super Duke: 75* Inline V-Twin
Harley: 45* Inline V-Twin
Moto Guzzi: 90* Transverse V-Twin
Ducati: 90* Inline V-Twin
Honda Shadow 750: 52* Inline V-Twin
Honda RC51: 90* Inline V-Twin
Honda NS400R: 112* Inline V-Three
Suzuki TL 1000: 90* Inline V-Twin
Honda CX500: 80* Transverse V-Twin

I don't see why Ducati needs an L-Twin designation. I would be more likely to understand the reasoning if it's cylinders were actually perfectly vertical and horizontal in the frame, but since they're not, I protest the distinction.

:p :D

I don't see why Ducati needs an L-Twin designation. I would be more likely to understand the reasoning if it's cylinders were actually perfectly vertical and horizontal in the frame, but since they're not, I protest the distinction.

:p :D

Actually they need to call it an L-twin to emphasis the 90* angle and many advantage over the normal "V"-twins (exceptional balance, the sound, etc). Some of it is marketing, I am sure. But just don't say that it's a V-twin to a Ducatista.

Actually they need to call it an L-twin to emphasis the 90* angle and many advantage over the normal "V"-twins (exceptional balance, the sound, etc). Some of it is marketing, I am sure. But just don't say that it's a V-twin to a Ducatista.
I learned that lesson within about 48 hours of buying my Multistrada

I learned that lesson within about 48 hours of buying my Multistrada

LOL.

As for what I would want in the NC700, I wish it had came with a little more standard accessory - rear hugger, accessory outlet, optional ABS. But I guess we can't have it all. Honda really tried to keep the price down to compete with others that had been in the market for a long time.

On the other hand, I wish NC700X would have an "Adventure" edition in the future. Something with longer suspension and accessories for better off-road riding. Honda can build upon the success of current NCX and expand its adventure line. Call it NC700D for Dakar

In reading another NC700X forum, one of the members came up with something I'd never have thought of. Anyone else encounter this?

beep said:
I rode into the work this morning. Although it wasn't raining, the roads were wet and the local farmers had left a nice layer of mud all over the place.

Anyway when I got to work I noticed the rear of the bike was covered in mud, not just under the bike as I was expecting, but on top, on the passenger seat and all over my back too! Have to say the design of the mudguard is cr@p!

I don't think a ducktail would resolve this since it looks like the mud etc is flying up in front of the numberplate. You can see from above the tyre is wider than the tail section.

Has anyone found a solution for this? This is the first bike I've owned that does this.

Apart from that the fenda extenda and hugger are doing a good job.

Chris

I've noticed that when riding in the rain and going to fill up... the rear seat is coated in filth. I'm hoping my top box will take the brunt of it now that it is mounted, but I think the ultimate solution would be something like the BMW GS1200 has....

R1200GS%20Rear%20Mudguard%20Support.jpg

trey

Storage. This bike has massive amounts of space wasted in the plastic "intakes" around the central storage box. You can reach your hands behind the forks and feel all the space in there. This could easily have been used for a side-mounted or top-mounted door on each side. Since the front intakes are actually blocked off and are for looks only, it wouldn't effect the functionality of the design. These spaces could easily have been enclosed and have a top or side door for extra storage. The way it is designed now, it is just wasted space. I bought the bike for the mpg over the electric Zero motorcycle, but the design team could have figured this out before bringing this bike to market.

Understand what you are saying but it doesn’t have to be wasted space. Take the intake off, 1 screw under the not a tank lid and 1 clip by the handle bars then slide back to disengage the tabs, then you can store seldom used items like an air pump and tire repair stuff. Several people have used the area on the left side for relays and fuse blocks.

This may have been posted earlier, but I tend to leave my blinkers on after riding my Goldwing. Auto cancelling blinkers would have been nice.

Back