• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anything you wish was different/better about your NC700?

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read a lot of great things about the NC700, from new and experienced riders. For its intended purpose, the NC700 sounds like a great motorcycle. It's currently the motorcycle I would like to buy next.

I'm curious about the other side of the coin. If you could change anything about your NC700, what would it be and why?

Well, this is really petty, but the horn button is really out of place. All my other bikes have the horn on the bottom and the turn signal above the horn. This is opposite. I can certainly live with it. Just really odd that Honda would change the standard location of something like handle bar controls.

Kind of reminds me of my old ATV. The start button was on the left control vs the right control.

WGW

Well, this is really petty, but the horn button is really out of place. All my other bikes have the horn on the bottom and the turn signal above the horn. This is opposite. I can certainly live with it. Just really odd that Honda would change the standard location of something like handle bar controls.

Kind of reminds me of my old ATV. The start button was on the left control vs the right control.

WGW

+10, I beep about every time I get back on my Goldwing when changing lanes. Thank GOD there are aftermarket seat companies out there.
It would be nice if they put a butt friendly seat on it.

The seat. For short rides around town it is OK since I’m constantly moving around. For longer rides I want to sit at the back of it but the seat has a slope to the front so I’m fighting it to stay back. Hard breaking also slides me forward. I’m 6’1 with a 35” inseam. Others are perfectly happy with the seat. BTW this is a common complaint on a lot of bikes. It is hard to make a bike that fits tall and shorter riders so manufactures tend to do the sloped seat as a compromise. Beyond that the bike has been exactly what I wanted.
I made a mental list of what kind of riding I would be doing and ignored what other people thought was cool.

Daily riding around town is most of my use: good low speed behavior, low torque, easy smooth starts, low center of gravity for easy balance, quick lane changes, up right seating so I can see what is going on with traffic, good ground clearance for speed bumps, storage built in or available for adding.

Weekend back roads: good handling, lean nicely into a curve without scraping the pegs, enough power to make it fun but I’m not racing anyone, storage for lunch, rain gear, etc, ability to run down a dirt road when the pavement stops (not unusual in Arkansas back roads).

Long trips: Something I can eventually outfit for long trips.

The seat was not designed to fit anyone's butt. It was apparently not designed with comfort as the goal, instead just to look good on the showroom floor. It's a shame it needs to be replaced with an aftermarket item.

They messed up on the front fender being too short, so again aftermarket comes to the rescue. Simple thing, though.

The model choices in Europe are better than the US. I would have preferred white or red vs just the silver US choice, and the choice of ABS without DCT would have been great. My guess is, in order to reduce parts stocking costs, that for the short term the four colors (white, silver, red, black) available in Europe will be all that will be made. These are "safe" colors to build because they will most likely sell to the masses. Look out over a sea of cars in a parking lot or on a highway. Most of what you see is "light" and "dark" non-colors, and medium to dark red. Only if the NC700X becomes wildly popular would there be an introduction of any more exotic colors, IMHO.

Coming from a Goldwing and ST1100, the NC700X vibrates more. From a twin aspect, though, it's not bad. I accept it as is, but smoother running in the 2000-3000 RPM range would be nice.

Other than that it's about just what I wanted. It does not need more power. The fuel economy is awesome. It's quiet. Chain drive is more maintenance than shaft drive, but more efficient and lighter weight, so chain is fine.

Greg

I wish it had the HP to wheelie... but I can't have EVERYTHING. :)

HP does not do the wheelies, Nm does...

And it CAN wheelie, you just need to have the equivalent balls to do it.
:p

I wished it came with Dual-surface tires instead of street tires.
Everything else is "perfect" with its low price tag.
No real complaints. Not even the seat can get me down.

Yes, sorry, wasn't meant to be a technical answer. :)

I wish it had either the Torque to wheelie.. Beyond the 1st gear launch wheelie. I'm no stranger to falling off a bike (CRF 80+ fun!!), so balls aren't the issue. ;)

But don't miss the point.. It does EVERYTHING else great!

Yes, sorry, wasn't meant to be a technical answer. :)

I wish it had either the Torque to wheelie.. Beyond the 1st gear launch wheelie. I'm no stranger to falling off a bike (CRF 80+ fun!!), so balls aren't the issue. ;)

But don't miss the point.. It does EVERYTHING else great!

I was told many times (and I also believe this), that ANY bike can do a wheelie.
It is just the rider and the skills. Something which I don't have.
:D

Also wheeli'ing a bike will not necessarily damage the engine, but it usually damages the clutch and the chain.

i really don't see what the big deal is about the seat?? maybe i've just never ridden a bike with a comfy seat?

Horn button for sure. If I have to hit that horn I usualy end up hitting the flashers too. It is also hard to hit the horn if you have the clutch in.

Another thing for me would be some kind of ventillation for the storage. I know it is water proof and all but venting heat and water vapor out would be good if it can still keep the water out somehow. I have put a helmet in there with a little sweat on it and parked in the sun under a cover. In a few hours the helment is hot and steamy. That can't be good for the helmet and it sucks for me.

A louder horn should be installed on all motorcycles! A rear hugger should be stock and, of course, more color options.

Agree on the hugger. The NCX should have one. Even the CBR250R, a low cost entry level bike, has an integrated chain guard/hugger. I know keeping costs low was essential to the project, but what did Honda save on the NCX without a hugger? $2 work of plastic?

Greg

It a fender mounted really close to your tire that minimizes splash from the tire to the underside of the seat or rear fender. In most applications it is on the forward section of the tire. On Ducati's it's more on the rear side of the tire.

WGW

I just going to say the same thing... I look at other Honda models, they are the standard signals on top of horn... Wonder why they did it this way for NC700x...

I wish for better front brake....

Back