• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone use SCENIC MOTORCYCLE TOURING's iPhone APP for route navigation?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Title pretty much sums up the whole question.

There is an iPhone APP called SCENIC MOTORCYCLE TOURING. Is anyone here using it instead of a dedicated GPS? Have you tried other motorcycle touring APPs on your iPhone.

Likes & Dislikes versus some of the other iPhone Apps?

Likes & Dislikes versus a dedicated GPS unit?

I feel like I’ve tried everything so far, and each has pros and cons with none being “Goldilocks.”

App-wise I like CoPilot, maps are downloaded and can be used offline (ie without cell connection), voice directions. Drawback is no good way to load trips you plan on computer (at least for iPhones).

Having gone round and round I just went with a Garmin 396 lmt - it’s got that garmin curvy road feature (which works quite well), WiFi (so it can update without a computer), easy to plan and load trips via Basecamp or google, and designed for motorcycles (waterproof, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer your actual question...

I use Scenic not because it is the best. I use it because it will directly import from Furkot, where I do all my route planning. Also, the dev is very active in how the app is performing and has a thread on ADV to help riders and get feedback. I have to say he has been quite responsive. There are a number of things I would like to see, including full screen mode for the iPhone X, but those are in the works for the new version coming out later this year. Importing from Furkot directly means no more conversions via 3rd party application on the PC to import on the phone via weird email addresses or having to use iTunes. It is literally just "Import Route from Furkot." there are other ways to import, but as I use Furkot exclusively, this was the number 1 selling point.

With regards to pros/cons
Pros:
Import directly from Furkot
Maps have been accurate
Route have been 99% accurate from the import
App is easy to use, and customize
You can download maps for offline use.
You are not limited to any region.

Cons
Routes have not been 100% accurate from the import
It is on the expensive side for an app (but less expensive by $100s than a dedicated GPS)
I dont like having to buy the ability to import/export AND buy credits for every map I want to use offline (though they are not that much)
There is no full screen for iPhone X, and it has been out for a year now.

The bottom line, is for any GOOD app on a phone, you will end up paying money to get the most out of them. I had used Navigon for ages, and for the NA maps, it was $60. I'm ok with paying that, if the app is going to be supported well and for a good amount of time (years). I think Scenic will be around a while, and so long as the dev remains responsive and open to suggestion as he has so far, it is something worth getting and at least paying a month for. If you dont like it after the month, turn off the subscription (I did that to test it, and ended up getting the lifetime one time fee).

Scenic's thread on ADVForums: Scenic - iPhone & iPad App Alternative to Garmin Zumo and TomTom Rider | Adventure Rider
Furkot's thread on ADVForums: Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner | Adventure Rider

Are there other apps? Absolutely! I am also going to be beta testing a new hardware/software app combo from Rever that looks very interesting and promising. You would be remiss if you dont check it out as well. Never just go with an app without due process. Sign in and About Rever - Rever

An app I used to use all the time until support and upgrades were pulled was Cruiser, built for motorcycle travel by the Navigon people. Wonderful app, but weird importing procedures. But if you wanted to find the twistiest way be tween point A and B, you would be hard pressed to do so manually better than this app. Again, however, support was pulled for it.

I have not used a dedicated GPS since I got a smartphone. Didnt see the point in spending another few hundred $ on something I already had. No one's gonna convince me otherwise at this point. I have a good case on the phone and it is waterproof anyway. Over 26000 miles with a phone as my GPS and it has never failed.

I have slightly off topic question. I use dedicated outdoor or motorcycle GPS units that are waterproof. If it starts raining the GPS unit is fine. If instead you are using a smartphone for a GPS unit, are there waterproof phones ideal for this use? Or do you have some kind of protective cover for the phone? Would the touchscreen work with gloves through the cover?

Last edited:
To answer your actual question...

I use Scenic not because it is the best. I use it because it will directly import from Furkot, where I do all my route planning. Also, the dev is very active in how the app is performing and has a thread on ADV to help riders and get feedback. I have to say he has been quite responsive. ...

Thank you for the very informative post.

I had also found REVER in my searching around.

I'm downloading some maps from Scenic now for my home state and several surrounding states.

Certainly looks worthy of trying.

I have 2 old Garmin units. One is an old automotive NUVI that is at least 12 years old, the other is a small handheld unit I've used for hiking that has a screen too small for my tri-focal requiring eyes to see well. Rather than investing some big bucks in a new dedicated unit that will only be used for long trips it seems logical to explore the various iPhone apps. Even with a Lifetime subscription Scenic is a bargain compared to the cost of a dedicated GPS.

I have slightly off topic question. I use dedicated outdoor or motorcycle GPS units that are waterproof. If it starts raining the GPS unit is fine. If you are using a smartphone for a GPS unit, are there waterproof phones ideal for this use? Or do you have some kind of protective cover for the phone? Would the touchscreen work with gloves through the cover?

I've not yet used my Smartphone in rain conditions but I have dropped my iPhone into the deep end of our swimming pool while it was in a water resistant case (NOT on purpose). Fished the phone out of the pool, worked perfectly. There are several waterproof and water resistant case options available for phones, some even allow them to be connected to a charger AND remain waterproof.

I have slightly off topic question. I use dedicated outdoor or motorcycle GPS units that are waterproof. If it starts raining the GPS unit is fine. If instead you are using a smartphone for a GPS unit, are there waterproof phones ideal for this use? Or do you have some kind of protective cover for the phone? Would the touchscreen work with gloves through the cover?

My old iPhones (5-6S Plus) I used the Lifeproof cases. They were waterproof and were easy to use. I have always had a screen protector on my phones, so I got the lifeproof cases that didnt have the screen protector. Never had an issue manipulating the screen. Concerning gloves, if I had to do that much manipulation of the screen, I'm pulling over anyway. My Sena took care of tracks and volume for me.

My iPhone X is waterproof, I have used it in the rain more often than I care to count. Never had an issue. I have a case on the back of it more to protect the rear of the phone from bugs. I have one case for when I am on the bike and trips, and one case for around town when there is no travel involved.

Case for on the bike: iPhone XS/X Case You can also customized this case via Custom Shop I have the blue/white/grey case and love it. The bugs dont.
Case for everyday use: Amazon.com: TOZO for iPhone X Case, Soft Grip Matte Finish TPU + PC Clear Hard Back Panel Hybrid Ultra-Thin [ Slim Fit ] Protect Cover Shock Absorption Back-Transparent Bumper for iPhone 10/X [Black Edge]: Electronics

Both cases easily fit in my pocket.

For a phone I got: https://www.dx.com/p/ulefone-armor-2-android-7-0-waterproof-ip68-mtk-helio-p25-global-version-rugged-4g-phone-w-6gb-ram-64gb-rom-black-grey-532047?tc=CAD&ta=CA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllEU7isj5woPhRSGwEHmjC1lvyLk0jz5tmN8UXsBchE-DyniJ0fpuMkaAvaZEALw_wcB#.W6UBG2gzrrc

I don't love the seller but the phone is working. I wanted something waterproof and durable. I have not tested the claims but I made the purchase with the expectation that at some point I would need all the durability I could get.

Is Furkot the most frustrating trip planning software on the planet?

Serious WTF, I select that I want to avoid highways, it routes me through Chicago. I select small towns around Chicago and Milwaukee and it makes all sorts of loops and backtracks to get back to the main roads.

I double check my settings to stay off the interstate highways ... apparently it does not care that I don't want those?

I still use a dedicated Garmin GPS and it's proprietary mapping software of Mapsource or Basecamp. Part of it for me is because I'm older and not versed in fussing around with this and that app and device to get the GPS thing to kind of work. The Garmin system allows me to study and plan routes in advance or in the moment, save them, trade them, revisit them, download them and use them on a device that I know how to use sitting in a chair by the fire or at 70 mph on the bike. I can post links to saved routes down to the smallest fireroad or trail and them or send them to others in gpx or gdb files that are readily useful immediately to dedicated GPS users. For now this works well for me.

If I was just getting into it I might be tempted to learn how to use a free or less expensive method instead of spending 500 to 1000 bucks on a late model Garmin but I started down the Garmin road twenty years ago and my investment is water under the bridge.

Slightly offtopic, but Android users may be interested to try Kurviger app for motorcycle riders. Great way to find curvy roads and plan a curvy route or round trips.

The one somewhat annoying aspect of using an iPhone is that the home button is not glove friendly - an “iPhone friendly” glove can work on the app screen, but getting past the home button (especially with fingerprint recognition) is tough.

That said, certainly do-able to rely on a smartphone for nav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of trying Osmand. Downloadable maps for offline use, turn by turn. Plan the route on google maps and use the url of the route converted to gpx, Save gpx to phone.

Haven't used it much but seems to work ok. Total cost $0.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've tried the phone thing, but still prefer my Garmin 660. I purchased a refurbished one to save a few bucks. I also like to plan with Furkot. Those routes can be exported and used on the Garmin. It actually breaks the routes into days, so you have one route per day. I used it on a 6500 mile trip two years ago. You can use Furkot to plan and book motels, but I just did that one day at a time using my phone. I found I was riding much further per day than the estimate.

I've tried the phone thing, but still prefer my Garmin 660. I purchased a refurbished one to save a few bucks. I also like to plan with Furkot. Those routes can be exported and used on the Garmin. It actually breaks the routes into days, so you have one route per day. I used it on a 6500 mile trip two years ago. You can use Furkot to plan and book motels, but I just did that one day at a time using my phone. I found I was riding much further per day than the estimate.

I've been UNSUCCESSFULLY trying to use Furkot. It is one of the most frustrating sites I've tried, but as I downloaded SCENIC and as it is recommended to use Furkot to export GPX files into SCENIC I figured I would give it a try. Clearly I'm doing something wrong because I find all sorts of people giving glowing recommendations or Furkot.

I actually have an old school list of roads that I want to follow. All on paper. I'd like to find a way to upload those roads, in correct sequence, into SCENIC or into something that I can then import into SCENIC.

I've been UNSUCCESSFULLY trying to use Furkot. It is one of the most frustrating sites I've tried, but as I downloaded SCENIC and as it is recommended to use Furkot to export GPX files into SCENIC I figured I would give it a try. Clearly I'm doing something wrong because I find all sorts of people giving glowing recommendations or Furkot.

I actually have an old school list of roads that I want to follow. All on paper. I'd like to find a way to upload those roads, in correct sequence, into SCENIC or into something that I can then import into SCENIC.

Head to the ADV link for Furkot (posted above). There is a ton of info on it's use, and if you are looking for specific suggestions or questions, the dev is very active.

Personally, I just start and put down waypoints and adjust the route manually. I haven't had any issues with it that way.

Well, a little less happy with SCENIC this evening.

Traveled about 120 miles for lunch today to meet my daughter. Had SCENIC routing me to lunch. Right onto an interstate highway exit that has been CLOSED for bridge replacement for the the summer. No sign that it will reopen any time soon.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, and my car's built in Navigation all knew that ramp was closed.

Well, a little less happy with SCENIC this evening.

Traveled about 120 miles for lunch today to meet my daughter. Had SCENIC routing me to lunch. Right onto an interstate highway exit that has been CLOSED for bridge replacement for the the summer. No sign that it will reopen any time soon.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, and my car's built in Navigation all knew that ramp was closed.

You didnt follow it down into the river, too, did you?

I have tried using my iPhone 5 several times this year and every ride, without fail, the phone died/shut down. Maybe it was because it was too cold out or the sun hit the screen directly or whatever it's little problem was. Total pain in my Arse! So, i use my old faithful Garmin Montana 600! You can still pick them up on FleaBay for pretty cheap and keep your phone in your pocket so it is ready to use when you want it to work! just my $.02. You have to use what works for you, and in the chilly NorthWest, a dedicated unit that is faithful, works every time without fail is the way to go for me!
:{)

Back