• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any of you guys ever ride/drive a Can-Am Spyder?

For the kind of money you spend on a new one just get a nice convertible. It is nothing like riding a motorcycle, it's like driving a car with handlebars.

Last edited:
Had a customer who traded new Goldwing in on the top of the line touring Can-Am Spider. He brought it by for me to ride the second day he had it. Very good looking. However, not a two wheeler. When corning hard it would float in the corners. Other than that, I liked it.

Yes. I have test ridden Spyders three times, two of those times with my wife on back.

Spyders and other 3 wheelers are like night and day compared to motorcycles. First you go from a single track vehicle to not just two tracks like a car, but THREE tracks. Each wheel is following it's own dips and bumps in the road, so you not only feel motion fore/aft, and up/down, but also side to side. My wife hates the ride because it's too "jiggly". Think about it: on motorcycles bumps don't really cause side to side motions, mostly just up and down.

Next thing is you need to unlearn everything you learned about counter steering a motorcycle. On three wheelers you turn left to go left.

Worst of all is cornering forces. On two wheels, cornering does not try to throw you off the machine. Harder cornering on a three wheeler means you hang on real tight and fight the side forces.

As for the Spyder itself, the early ones had too small of an engine and got gas mileage in the 30s. I've not ridden the newer engine version.

In summary we dislike the ride and handling but if we were disabled and unable to ride two wheelers, it would have to do.

Last edited:
They also have heat issues on the drivers legs. 2nd degree burn type of issues. Also, if you take a corner too fast and one of the front wheels lifts off the ground, it cuts the power to the engine in the middle of your turn. It's dangerous.

Along these lines, we have a CTX700 DCT trike advertised by Dale's South Bound Honda:

image.jpg

buy these and still keep ya bike.
tell ya lass its a 4 wheeled bike now.

CIMG1364%20%28Large%29.JPG

I like your idea Johnakay but I don't think my lass would go for it.

670, I like the looks of that CTX trike but I don't believe our beloved little 50hp engine would be enough for that heavier bike especially two-up. I'll wait and take a look at the new three wheelers from Hon and Yam as per Fuzzy's post.

Rich

I like your idea Johnakay but I don't think my lass would go for it.

well tell her if she can't accept my idea then say you'll take your mistress instead.
there ya go problem solve,two black eyes will soon heel up;)

article-2538483-1A9EA9DA00000578-623_634x659.jpg

Last edited:
For the kind of money you spend on a new one just get a nice convertible. It is nothing like riding a motorcycle, it's like driving a car with handlebars.

;) yep. for that kind of money you can buy this for you wife:

2007_mercedes-benz_slk-class_slk280-pic-45682.jpeg

ANd there is will be enough money left for BRAND NEW NC! :)

buy these and still keep ya bike.
tell ya lass its a 4 wheeled bike now.

Just get a pair of those shoes with the wheels in them and keep your feet down the whole time... You've already got the DCT so your left foot can be down, and linked ABS brakes so your right foot can stay down...

(I might just have to get a pair for stop and go traffic.... no more worrying about when to put my feet down and when to keep them up... just leave them down and scoot along at 2-3 mph like the rest of traffic.

Also I'm no expert in the language of wives... but I learned when I got my NC that when she said "I'll ride on the back with you" there was a silent "if forced to." afterward...

Back