• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any input on Vista cruise controls?

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
Hoping to get some feedback and recommendations. I have used a GoCruise type throttle lock and it is ok, but I am not a huge fan of it. I find it awkward to engage and it is hard to set to just the right speed and many times slowly drops in speed as it is engaged.

I found a few Ebay physical cruise controls and ended up finding there are two main types... one that seems designed to work specifically with dual cable hondas, and one they call Univeral.

While the Ebay ones may be knockoffs, the original seems to be here: Sound Off Recreational, Inc. - Cruise Control Products

The NC has a dual cable throttle, but if you to a lookup on thier website it says only the universal model is compatible.

If it worked, the Honda specific one seems really nice - relatively discreet and the price is good.

Here are two ebay versions I found:
UNIVERSAL VISTA STYLE CRUISE CONTROL THROTTLE LOCK MOTORCYCLE 1" 7/8" HANDLEBAR | eBay
Vista Cruise Control for most Honda dual cable motorcycles with 7/8" handlebars | eBay

I have a manual NC, so access to the DCT controls is not a problem.

An issue is that I have Honda OEM heated grips... and its seems this may be a compatibility factor. I don't understand how though (anyone know?)

Another option would be a kaoko throttle lock, but they are at least triple the cost.

I use a wrist throttle boss as well, but I am looking for a lock, not assist.

Just a guess on my part but the O.D. of the heated grips may be too fat for the Vista Cruise.

Just a guess on my part but the O.D. of the heated grips may be too fat for the Vista Cruise.

After doing some more research it seems like the problem with the Honda (non-universal) one is that the grip flange is too big. It is apparently possible to shave down the rubber, and there are lots of reference to people doing this with various bikes... but that is not something I want to get into.

There is also another model they sell:
NEP Cruise Control for Most Dual Cable Throttles - MCCC30-P | eBay
It may be high enough to clear it but I doubt it.

The universal one looks like the best bet but there may be grip diameter issues with the heated grips.

I use the Go Cruise (the cheaper plastic one) and I have oxford heated grips and it works and holds fine. I use one of the rubber bands to provide a bit more friction and it holds great.

As these are all "throttle locks" and not really "cruise control," the bike loses speed over time due to slight inclines in the road or bumps, etc. I like the Go Cruise because I can engage it with my index finger and quickly disengage it by simply rolling the throttle closed for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE - bought and installed Vista Cruise Universal. Just to clarify - yes... this is a mechanical throttle lock - not cruise control.

Note - I haven't tried it yet on the road - this is only an installation update. If there are any issues or new info discovered while riding I will update again.

I bought mine at a local bike store (Brantford Motorcycle). It was $50 Canadian. The install was pretty painless. It took about 30 minutes by the time I was done fiddling with it. The instructions were clear.

With it installed, it takes up about as much room as when I had my Go Cruise type throttle lock in place. The part attached to the grip moves with the twist of the grip so there is no friction on your glove. It feels very natural. Note, I wear a 3XL glove, so I need all the room I can get.

The biggest immediate benefit I see over a Go Cruise type throttle lock is that you can tweak the throttle up or down just by twisting - no need to hold or readjust the throttle lock in any way. It only grips as tight as you have it set up to be, and the throttle can be easily disengaged by twisting the throttle (it does not grip it so tight that it is a hazard).

Video link here:
Animated GIF of Vista Cruise Universal
(I have since moved the mechanism down a bit so it is closer to the natural position of my thumb - the position is pictured in the image below)

MbQvFKX.jpg

Note regarding heated grips: There are various notes here and there around the net about these mechanical cruise controls and their compatibility with heated grips. Before buying this I couldn't figure out why - the OEM heated grips are no bigger. I finally understand now. The heated grips have a plastic bit where the wire attaches into that a standard grip would not have. The plastic bit sticks out just enough that it gets in the way a bit. Also, the wire is the big issue. Due to its location and how it moves with the throttle, I now see how the Honda specific Vista Cruise does not fit. The Universal one does fit just fine though. For a non-heated grip, it would likely fit better... maybe a 1/4" more to the left.

Note regarding the company: I emailed the company (Sound Off Recreational) to ask about issues with my Honda OEM grips. They were very responsive and offered to send me the smaller rubber filler for free if I needed it even though they are in the US and I am in Canada. It turns out I didn't, but it was a great customer relation experience.

Last edited:
Wow. The Vista Cruise hasn't changed since the one I put on my Suzy back in '82!

Wow. The Vista Cruise hasn't changed since the one I put on my Suzy back in '82!

What's to change? A clamp, an arm and a squeezing mechanism on a rubber gasket. Honestly, it would be nice to be made of aluminum or whatever. Could probably cut down on the bulk a little with stronger materials.

Their other version - the "Honda specific" one looks pretty slick... if it wasn't for the heated grip wire factor it might work well. Especially for those with DCT that (apparently?) is not suitable with the Universal due to blocking the controls.

Back