• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

And then I was tumbling down the freeway

Glad you're okay. Sounds like you were lucky.

The ambulance ride plus the ER visit added up to exactly $1,000.00, which is the coverage on my motorcycle insurance. That just shows you how wrongly the medical system works. They billed the exact maximum amount they know that my insurance would pay.

For me that just sounds insane but that's because in Sweden we have free healthcare for everybody. I'm very happy about that :)

I was "lucky" to have had a minor accident on my bike the second day I owned it. I was wearing jeans and tore up the skin on my knee and since then have always worn Kevlar jeans or riding pants. I have a mesh pair I love now. And I too have ended up rolling down the highway, though again, it was my fault and it was at much lower speeds and my gear saved me a monumental amount of pain and grief.

Thanks for the story and the reminder that the unexpected happens and while we can't prevent it we can prepare for it. Glad you are mostly OK.

Glad you're okay. Sounds like you were lucky.

For me that just sounds insane but that's because in Sweden we have free healthcare for everybody. I'm very happy about that :)
Well, it is not exactly 'free' is it? All the taxes you guys have to give up from your hard earned income (Sweden is one of the highest tax rate countries on the planet) pays for the 'free' healthcare. Obamacare is a very big sore point over here in the States for many people. Back to our regularly scheduled program (sorry admins)-just on the news here in Louisville, Ky, road rage and hit and run drivers are evident almost every day now, may have to put front and rear facing video cameras on everything we drive so we can prove who was at faulty-police are stating, if we didn't see it, we cant arrest them for it, and if no bodily injury, they are not even citing the drivers for running after an accident-arghh...

That is true but my point is that when you have an accident and need healthcare you can just go there and you don't have to worry about what it is going to cost you. And that applies to everyone. If i'm unemployed and get aid from the goverment and don't pay taxes or i'm an illegal alien i still get treated. We have about 33% tax.

There could be a good reason, as far as the offender is concerned - no insurance or licence, maybe.
Could have been an illegal alien (we have millions of them here in the US) who doesn't want to be deported or a chance of deportation, or a criminal or someone with a warrant out for their arrest, or a drunk driver, etc....

That is true but my point is that when you have an accident and need healthcare you can just go there and you don't have to worry about what it is going to cost you. And that applies to everyone. If i'm unemployed and get aid from the goverment and don't pay taxes or i'm an illegal alien i still get treated. We have about 33% tax.

33% doesnt sound that high, i'd pay it, it's less than I am taxed now when you add up all of the fed, state, land, school, usage and add HEALTH INSURANCE. (sorry admins)

As a bit of a post script. It has been about three weeks since my accident. I have basically healed all but a couple very small spots on a knee, my sore shoulder. The insurance company totaled the Nc, but I think they were fair with their estimate. Insurance is picking up my medical bills under my uninsured motorist rider on the policy, and life is moving on.

After a couple long talks with my wife, I have decided to sell my all of my motorcycles and go back to muscle cars. It is my choice with no real pressure from my bride. The Nc is gone. I delivered my Norton to a shipper today. It will be finding a new home in Australia. I took a deposit on the Goldwing and the only bike left unsold is the 81 Honda CBX. My garage is looking rather empty.

Good luck and safe riding to all

Bigbird

That's a sad but totally understandable decision...especially after an accident like yours where you did absolutely nothing wrong. We are very vulnerable out there. I think about giving up motorcycles myself quite often but I just can't do it yet. Good luck with the cars, those can be a lot of fun too.

That has to be a sad day in the BigBird house. I don't know that muscle cars are any safer, but if the decision has been made, then I wish you the very best. Stop back by anytime and show us the many projects I see in your future. What is your car of choice, or at least what are you looking at first? Are you going to find a restoration project or save your time and money and buy pre-finished?

Sorry this happen to you and thank god you are okay!

I live in Los Angeles area also. I will not be surprise when the driver that hit you doesn't stop... First thing most drivers around here do is to see if they can get away... When you are on a motorcycle alone with no one to chase after them, they will run...

I have seen many rider friends that crashed... Modular helmet probably pop open... If you are not wearing any kind of knee protection, knees will be injured somewhat, shoes comes off, fingers injured if not wearing protective gloves... Wear proper gears!!

Back