• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alternate soft bag mounts

Miweber929

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is really a nothing mod, but I thought that I'd share it anyway because sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference and these mounts really worked great and for the money can't be beat.

I bought the NC mid this summer as a one-up tourer to spend some extra time with my dad as we lost my mother in June and I knew he'd be spending the summer on his ST1100 trying to cope with the loss so I wanted to be able to go with him if I could at a moments notice without a lot of hassle getting ready. I also was hoping to sort of get a two-up mini-sport-tourer out of it as my fiancée and I have been taking three and four day trips on my 600RR and while I was ready for something more comfy, she really liked the seating position (not the seat but the way she was situated behind me) of the CBR, I was hoping this would work; what I discovered, however, was that while it worked as a single tourer fine, two up was really not working but it really excelled at commuting as well as it being a true do it all mount. So when a good friend of mine suggested a few weeks ago we take my dad down to the Smokey Mountains/Deals Gap area where my friend and I used to go riding all the time I thought it would be perfect for him to get away and us to end the year on somewhat of a high note. Since we'd be trailering from Minnesota to Tennessee (as time was a little short) I thought I'd let dad take the NC as he loves the bike, it would be a much lighter bike for the mountains and be a little change for him to play with. So very early in the morning on October 15th we loaded up in Minneapolis, picked up my buddy and his bike in Milwaukee and headed down south for 3 days of mountian riding at its finest.

One of the things we needed was somewhere to carry luggage for the three of us and while I have a small set of bags for the CBR, it wouldn't really carry three days worth of gear for three people. Earlier this summer I picked up a set of Nelson Rigg CL-855 saddlebags after seeing StratTuners setup and while the are certainly huge, unless you build a rack setup like he did, the lower rear corners tend to want to go into the rear tire once you strap them down tight. I thought a bunch about making a setup like he did or even buying some pre-made racks that I could strap them to but time was tight and I wanted something less noticeable when the bags weren't on if I could. Basically the more I thought about it, the more I realized all I needed was a way to keep the ends from digging into the tire.

Being I needed something quick I ran over to the local Home Depot and started digging through their project metal. While I probably could have made something from what they had I just felt that $30 in aluminum flat stock was more than I needed to spend (and $20 if I did steel) so while I was leaving I came across the 1/2" emt conduit in 5' sections for $1.75 each and thought this would be perfect. So I measured up what thought would work and built two "boomerang" looking things that mount from the passenger peg to the rear fender that did nothing but simply kep the bags out from the suspension, exactly what was needed.

I bent the pipe to around a 30 degree angle to basically follow the subframe up at the same angle. I then simply flattened the ends in a vice, drilled holes to mount them and sprayed them black using simple spray paint. Like I said, simple and quick; I noticed the paint did rub off a bit on a couple edges but I do zero prep work and will end up sanding them down come spring and redoing the paint so it sticks.

Take a look at the pics, you'll see what I did for under $5. Let me know any questions, they worked flawlessly over 500 miles that weekend and I don't see any signs of fatigue anywhere.

Simple, easy, works. Another thing that worked great was the way I strapped them allowed me to simply un-velcro the front strap for gassing up without moving the bags or removing anything. Simply unstrap the front, tip up the seat, fill up, close the seat, restrap the front. Easy.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 665
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 624
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 621
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Here is a pic from the top and from the trip as well.

Surprising how well that bike handled with my 64 year old dad, who had never been there before riding the "Mule" was able to keep up with two 40 something year olds riding CBR600RR's. While we weren't going all out by any means, none of us were really holding back and every corner I looked back and there was dad right behind us. I even took it through the Gap once and was presently surprised how well it handled!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 612
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 599
Sorry about the loss of your mother. Taking that trip was a great idea. Is that the Cherohala Skyway in the lower photo? Looks really nice.

Hehe, the NC was the mule. It looks the part.

The mod looks really good. How is the tubing attached at the rear? EMT is probably galvanized. I'd guess it would need some prep to get paint to stick.

Last edited:
Very nice! You make me proud to be a Mike :cool:

Sorry for yours and dads loss. That pic does look like the place my friend snapped his drive belt on his Harley on the Cherahola.

As long as the load is even you won't have to worry about breaking the rear fender. You could attach the rear of two pieces of metal with a cross brace. I know you did this in a hurry and you did an A-1, bang up, clean job on it! It looks a lot like the 3-P (three-point) brace on my Shad panniers.
Kudos

How is the tubing attached at the rear? EMT is probably galvanized. I'd guess it would need some prep to get paint to stick.

It attaches to the rear reflector on the license plate mount. I looked for a few other places and this just seemed to work; I even was able to use the reflector as the mounting bolt. Pipes are galvanized, I need to take a bit of the plating off, prime and repaint it for it to stick well, but this worked in a pinch.

Wow! That is one elegant solution! Very very clean work.

Love the Nelson Rigg CL-855 bags too.

Thanks!!! You were the inspiration for a simple solution.

Very nice! You make me proud to be a Mike :cool:

Sorry for yours and dads loss. That pic does look like the place my friend snapped his drive belt on his Harley on the Cherahola.

As long as the load is even you won't have to worry about breaking the rear fender. You could attach the rear of two pieces of metal with a cross brace. I know you did this in a hurry and you did an A-1, bang up, clean job on it! It looks a lot like the 3-P (three-point) brace on my Shad panniers.
Kudos

The pic was on the Blue Ridge Parkway, not too far from the Cherahola which we've done in the past.

I looked at the fender mount and was worried about the same things you mentioned, however the fender is fairly stout and well braced in that area, the metal bracket I tied to was surprisingly strong and really there isn't much stress there as all the mounts do is hold the bags out, all the weight is on the seat and upper straps. Not saying it won't eventually be an issue but I played around with mounting and loading and planned on a cross brace or something coming down from the hand holds but I think as it sits it does exactly what I wanted it to.

Thanks for the feedback and the well wishes everyone; it's been a long year and a tough time for my family dealing with everything but two wheels seemed to help: both on motorcycles and bicycles. For whatever reason balancing on two seems to make it all easier to deal with.

Mike

That looks like a really simple method to keep the soft bags out of the wheel well. Nicely done Miweber929!!
What is the overall length of the brace?
Could you post a couple of pics of exactly how the ends of your brace actually attach to the bike?
Thanks!:)

Last edited:
I made some inquiries to one of the paint experts here at work about painting galvanized aluminum. He told me to make the paint hold I should use some light grit sand paper on the surface to give it some tooth and wipe it down with vinegar, prime it and paint it with water based primer and paint. It seems the galvanizing process leaves a film on the surface that paint doesn’t like to cling to and vinegar will remove it. Also, he recommended not using spray paint. It seems there is an ingredient in spray paint, he told me what it is but I can’t remember (it starts with an “a”), that doesn’t work well with galvanize. So I’ll heed his advice when I paint the bars.

That looks like a really simple method to keep the soft bags out of the wheel well. Nicely done Miweber929!!
What is the overall length of the brace?
Could you post a couple of pics of exactly how the ends of your brace actually attach to the bike?
Thanks!:)
Just seeing this now, sorry. Unfortunately the bike is tucked away for the winter off site so getting pics will be a bit difficult. I will see what I can do, but it's more one of those things to now over think, it will make sense as you do it.

Mike

Bumping this up.

I just traded the NC and my Grom for a CBR650F, going to be a MUCH better bike for my uses. I am selling some parts including these brackets so look for my for sale ad in the section but after I removed them I took a pic next to some rulers so you get an idea what is going on. To answer the last question they mount to the rear reflectors on the fender and if you look behind the passenger peg mounts there are two threaded holes, I used the upper one.

Attachments

• Supports ruler.jpg
    Supports ruler.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
>>if you look behind the passenger peg mounts there are two threaded holes, I used the upper one.

Do you recall what the bold size is for those holes?

>>if you look behind the passenger peg mounts there are two threaded holes, I used the upper one.

Do you recall what the bold size is for those holes?

As I recall, the bolt size is 6mm.

This design remains one of the most elegant solutions I have ever seen.

Back