• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Almost became one with my NCX

Yeah, I may have overestimated the skid distance (I'm not good at that). I might call our local Sheriff dept and see if they can get one of those measuring devices out to find out exactly how far that skid is. He had to have been traveling real fast (limit is 60mph) as it is a long straight stretch and I never saw him in my mirrors until I heard the screeching of the tires. Lesson learned (on both sides, I hope. I know it was for me)

Glad you survived that! He was probably texting on his phone and not paying attention, which seems to be standard ops these days. :(

If nothing else, riding a motorcycle makes you a much more defensive driver because of your vulnerability out there. I've taken to always looking in my mirrors when slowing to verify that the car behind me is slowing. I'll also do things like multiple flashes on the brake light to get their attention and/or using my arms with the old school signals in addition to the bike's turn signals.

And then there's always the escape options like what you used to cancel your turn and give yourself space. In traffic, I always ride near the outside edge of the lane I'm in so that I have the option of scooting over a little and running down the painted line to avoid getting hit.

He had to have been traveling real fast (limit is 60mph) as it is a long straight stretch and I never saw him in my mirrors until I heard the screeching of the tires. )

Good thing he wasn't going over 750 miles an hour. You would have never him.

(I figure it's time to laugh about it. You're alive! and well!)

I looked at some of my really old DOS files and found my simple locked wheel skid program. 400 feet of skid on dry pavement (coefficient of friction 0.7) and on level ground is about 92 mph.

Formula is Speed = 5.47 * SQR(SkidLength * (CofficientOfFriction + PercentGrade))

I looked at some of my really old DOS files and found my simple locked wheel skid program. 400 feet of skid on dry pavement (coefficient of friction 0.7) and on level ground is about 92 mph.

Formula is Speed = 5.47 * SQR(SkidLength * (CofficientOfFriction + PercentGrade))

ACK! Math! I wonder what that formula would look like in Common Core :confused:

We are family friends with our Sheriff (he personally took my son under his 'wing' & straightened him out when he got into some trouble with the law) so I am gonna contact him; I'd love to know exactly how long those marks are, plus what is in the ditch area.

ACK! Math! I wonder what that formula would look like in Common Core :confused:

We are family friends with our Sheriff (he personally took my son under his 'wing' & straightened him out when he got into some trouble with the law) so I am gonna contact him; I'd love to know exactly how long those marks are, plus what is in the ditch area.

I keep hearing about this "Common Core" math but have no clue what it is...

I never worked traffic when I was an LEO but took an interest in the accident reconstruction formulas -- there's a whole science to it. Glad to hear you escaped this unscathed!

I had to look up common core as well.

Wiki Definition

The Common Core State Standards Initiative is an educational initiative in the United States that details what K–12 students should know in English language arts and mathematics at the end of each grade.

We don't use that term in Canada so I didn't have a clue. :confused:

I did see this about Common Core on a news web site: “With the new math standard in the Common Core, there are no longer absolute truths. So 3 times 4 can now equal 11 so long as a student can effectively explain how they reached that answer.” After reading that, I just dismissed it while shaking my head.

Sorry for sidelining this thread.

I have a 6 & 8 year old boy. I am familiar with "Common Core". Unfortunately.

Several of my in-laws are educators. They don't think Common Core is going to last. Who really knows? Most of them do not agree with it and do not like it.

I don’t know how I feel but I do agree that some of it does not make sense. It seems to add unnecessary steps. My son’s teachers have even expressed their dislike and they are not old ladies. These are young teachers who have only been teach under 5 years. You’d think they would be more accepting to change.

Back to the original posting-must have been an older Camaro; I don't think ABS leaves constant skid marks (if any at all) on dry pavement-I know I have had to hit my ABS really hard (feel it in the brake pedal) due to being cut off on the interstate or accidents in front of me here in Louisville, and my ABS has never left skid marks, even though the ABS is chattering up a storm.

I work in the education field (on the IT side) so I know about Common Core (although I STILL don't understand it). Apparently this dad hates it, too: Dad Writes Common Core Check

I did talk to my local Sheriff last night, and he is going to have a deputy come over tonight or tomorrow eve when I am home and measure those skid marks. Nothing they can do, but I told him that I am curious on how long they were (plus what was in the ditch) and see if they can come up with an estimated speed of that guy. I'll update this when I find out

Glad you made it through the ordeal OK. I wonder if a modulated brake light would have caught his attention I believe they do help. Of course if he was texting on his cell phone he may not have seen a brick wall.

I agree with adding more lighting on the back end. I have Admore LED's on my panniers and top case and have had coworkers that were following me to work, say my bike looks like a bright UFO from behind and if someone didn’t see me, they'd have to be blind.
With that said. If people following you have their focus on a cell phone and not the road, you're toast.
Ride like you're invisible, because you are invisible to too many drivers.

Back