• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ah... Comfort, at last

If it needs a rain cover can it be ridden in the rain?

I use a rain cover when I ride mine in the rain. The stitching lets water through to the foam. Also, mine are leather and I like to protect them. However, I have doused them all at one point or another with no damage. I treat the leather twice per year with Aqua-Seal. It doesn't do anything for water getting through the stitching, but it does protect the leather from water damage. Two of mine are solo seats, so I do not stop and put a cover on them if I am riding and run into rain. My body covers them well enough. If I stop in the rain for a break, I will put the cover on, or if I know I am facing sustained gnarly weather, I will cover it in advance. I tried a King of Fleece cover for it but didn't like the fit.

The Russell on my R1150 has been on for 60,000 miles including a trip to Alaska where it was in rain for weeks on end. It still looks good as new. I think the Aqua-Seal (for the leather version) is the key.

Last edited:
I tried my best to get the folks at Russel to build me a Day Long Seat for the NC7, but they would not make me one. The reason they told me was that a short, fat, ugly guy with a 28 inch inseam can not in any shape or form have their feet even come close to touching the ground with a Day Long Seat on a NC7. They would make me a Sport seat.

So, I just found Eddy Copeland at the dragon (Deals Gap), had him come out of retirement, make me a wide seat for a short, fat, ugly guy that fits an NC7, and the seat lets me put my feet on the gound. Eddy made the seat perfect for my body, and my daughter made the upholstery. I have put over 70 thousand miles on this seat now, and it is great. Forgot to mention that I do not have to open the rear seat to put gas in tank with this seat!

Last edited:
BTW, the seat for the NC700 is not a Day-Long, but rather a Sport Seat...

Day-Long Motorcycle Seat | Russell Cycle Products

Beemerphile, you're obviously well-informed and I'm confused. I was told that the major difference between the Day Long and the Sport was the suspension, that the Day Long uses springs and foam while the Sport only uses foam. I was specifically told that the heavy-duty suspension in my saddle included stronger springs. So if it's really a Sport, what's the difference between the two?

Beemerphile, you're obviously well-informed and I'm confused. I was told that the major difference between the Day Long and the Sport was the suspension, that the Day Long uses springs and foam while the Sport only uses foam. I was specifically told that the heavy-duty suspension in my saddle included stronger springs. So if it's really a Sport, what's the difference between the two?

In Russell's words...

Russell said:
The Sport Saddle has minimized wings that are not as defined as the suspension Day-Long.

The pronounced wings on the Day-Long require the flat suspension spring to support them better than can be done with foam alone. The less defined wings of the Sport do not require the support spring. On the Day-Long the "heavy duty suspension" is specified for riders over 230 lbs. or passengers over 150 lbs. I don't guess that would rule out the addition of a support spring to the Sport if the rider's weight suggested a need for it, so it is possible that they put a steel spring in your Sport seat. By my understanding, you can tell the difference between the Sport and Day-Long by simply looking at the size and shape of the wings.

But, I am simply a long-term user and not a factory guy. The best way to absolutely confirm it would be to call or email Kim Elder at Russell and ask her whether your seat was a Sport or a Day-Long.

EDITED TO ADD: I just emailed Kim to advise whether the Russell that I ordered on 11.05.2012 was a conventional Day-Long or a Sport Saddle, so we should have the official word shortly.

Last edited:
I use a rain cover when I ride mine in the rain. The stitching lets water through to the foam. Also, mine are leather and I like to protect them. However, I have doused them all at one point or another with no damage. I treat the leather twice per year with Aqua-Seal. It doesn't do anything for water getting through the stitching, but it does protect the leather from water damage. Two of mine are solo seats, so I do not stop and put a cover on them if I am riding and run into rain. My body covers them well enough. If I stop in the rain for a break, I will put the cover on, or if I know I am facing sustained gnarly weather, I will cover it in advance. I tried a King of Fleece cover for it but didn't like the fit.

The Russell on my R1150 has been on for 60,000 miles including a trip to Alaska where it was in rain for weeks on end. It still looks good as new. I think the Aqua-Seal (for the leather version) is the key.
If the foam is closed cell then rain wouldn't be a big deal but if the foam absorbed water it would be a problem. I know Russell seats are highly praised so they must use closed cell foam. Sitting an a wet sponge wouldn't be very comfortable or healthy.

If the foam is closed cell then rain wouldn't be a big deal but if the foam absorbed water it would be a problem. I know Russell seats are highly praised so they must use closed cell foam. Sitting an a wet sponge wouldn't be very comfortable or healthy.

I imagine it is closed cell Dave, but the shape of the seat pocket guarantees a birdbath when you return after a hard rain. That plus the fact that all of mine are leather and the remembrance of how much I have invested in them leads me to cover them in the rain.

This Sargent still looks and rides like the day I installed it 144,000 miles ago.

It doesn't require protection in the form of a rain cover. Not saying it's a better seat just that closed cell foam or a plastic membrane under the outer cover renders a rain cover obsolete.

MEA CULPA,

ViperDriver is well-informed and Beemer is confused. Kim confirmed that your seat (and mine) are Day-Longs and not Sports. I was confused by the truncated angular wings in place of the round and wider wings that every Russell seat that I have owned has had spanning over twenty years. It looked to me like the Sport, but it is not. I can still say that for these reasons, though still quite good, it is the least comfortable Russell seat that I have owned.

NC700x

DSC04459.jpg

BMW R1150R

DSC04460.jpg

BMW R100RS

DSC04461.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to include my upcoming new Russell will be a Day-Long confirmed by KIM,

"You are not limited to the "sport" seat and a full day-long can be built on your motorcycle. The only reason you would want a "sport" seat is for ground reach issues and that can be discussed the day of your ride in appointment. Thank you, Kim"

Woohoo!

Ray

Last edited:
Kim confirmed that your seat (and mine) are Day-Longs and not Sports. I was confused by the truncated angular wings in place of the round and wider wings that every Russell seat that I have owned has had spanning over twenty years. It looked to me like the Sport, but it is not. I can still say that for these reasons, though still quite good, it is the least comfortable Russell seat that I have owned.

Kim at Russell must be wondering what's going on, as I also called her and confirmed that my seat is a Day Long with the fat-boy spring suspension.

Beemer -- I noticed the overhead shot of your NC700X seat and it struck me that it didn't look like mine. I put together the following comparison shot (Beemer's on top and Viper's on bottom) to illustrate.

Comparison.jpg

This is a good illustration of the degree of customization Russell does. I specifically asked for the seat to be wider and higher in the front. I knew I'd not be able to flat-foot any more but would gain more contact area. As you can see in the photo, they complied. The seat is very comfortable on the road but I have to admit that I gave up a good bit of feet-down control. It's not a problem, as I've ridden tall dirt bikes for many years and am used to tip-toeing at stops.

This is a good illustration of the degree of customization Russell does..

They locate the "pocket" from the side view picture. Obviously I sit farther back than you. Since I didn't have to match to a rear seat and I have leg room to burn, I asked for an extra inch of height overall and a bit more in the front. The taller seat (plus the lowered pegs) improves the knee bend angle.

new york.jpg

I have a question for those that have this seat and the GIVI sidearms, since the sidearms raise the pillion grab handles slightly did you have any interference problems with the seat and grab handles? I ask this because when I put my sidearms on I had a heck of a time getting the seat back on the bike & then when I got the Sargent seat it was worse, I thought I was going to have to send the Sargent seat back,I was finally able to get it on by loosening everything up to get the bolts started in the holes and then forcing it all together. While the Sargent is better than stock, no sliding forward, it's still killing my butt after about 2 hours even with an airhawk pad. So I'm thinking I might have to go with a Russell, I'm just afraid to spend that much and then find It won't fit or worse that it still kills my butt. I must not have any natural padding back there because anything I sit on is killing me before very long even a thickly padded chair.

I am not running the Givi's any more, but while I was there was no fit problem with the seat. I never had a Sargent seat on my NC, but I had one on my R1150 for about five years and I liked it once I put an Alaska Leather sheepskin on it (the same one shown in the picture above). But, even then it was no match for a Russell.

I use MotoCentric Mototrek Sport soft bags so I can't answer. Kim at Russell may have experience with a Givi customer. Nice lady--give her a call.

On a slightly related note, I did find that the first time I tried to open the rear seat latch it took a serious twist of the key, much more than before. I've since learned to press down lightly on the rear seat when I twist the key and it opens normally.

I was wondering if any of you Daylong owners have spouses who have commented on the passenger seat if you have a "dual." This looks like a more comfortable seat than a Corbin, but I was wondering if they put much into (or are able to) the little passenger platform...

Having purchased both brands for some of my customers over 20 years this is what I have observed. For a show bike, you want the Corbin, as it is overall the best looking seat. For a comfortable long distance travel seat the Daylong is overall the most comfortable. Yes, for the most part the passenger's seat of the Daylong is great.

I got my Russell last week and have put a few miles on the bike with it. Much more comfortable than stock or the Sargent, it is very wide in the front when coming to a stop I have to slide forward just to be able to tip-toe it. I had the Knight design lowered footpegs on and on my first ride my right foot kept falling off the peg*, went back home and put the stock pegs back on, no more problem. We had a a couple days of 70` weather last week so I thought I'd take a long ride to really test it out, as usual when it's unseasonably warm in winter the wind was very strong, I was getting blown all over the road so went back home after about an hour, On Friday wasn't as windy rode 300 miles, no sore butt, my weight seems to be more on my thighs now instead of my bottom so they were starting to get a little sore by the time I got back home.

I had no problems putting the seat on, like I did with the stock seat and the Sargent, interference with the grab handles because the GIVI side arms raises them slightly.
(see my previous post in this thread). The Russell dropped right into place.

This is with the stock Pillion seat I didn't get it redone to save some money, and I have my home made rear rack.
P2170084.jpg

This is with my homemade rear rack, I don't leave it on for normal riding around, it's for trips and very easy to swap back and forth with the seat.
P2170086.jpg

*I ride with my right foot sticking out to the side, when I ride my bicycle my heel hits the crank on the down stoke if I turn my foot in, my knee hits the bikes cross bar, I think I'm just built wrong or something:confused:

Attachments

• P2170087.jpg
    P2170087.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 271
Back