• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket Windscreen

rooster 06

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a taller windscreen. I live and ride mostly in Wyoming; for those that have been here, even a "short ride" takes a while of travel to get to... and the wind is quite strong for most of the year. The stock screen is obviously too small for long distance or high wind riding. I also have started using my NC for commuting (can't beat 70 mpg). However, in my shopping for an aftermarket screen; all the reviews say that if you're bigger than about 6' your going to get high chest, face, or top-of-helmet wind blasts or buffering. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. Does anyone have a suggestion for a windscreen for tall dudes?

there is several recommendation on several post, use the search feature

dont forget to see the for sale section and buy from a member, i just sold mine tall vstream screen

I was looking at the V-Stream on Revzilla and the comments. It seems that would be the one to go with thus far. I just wanted a second opinion, so thanks, I appreciate it. And I will check out the sales, prolly should've started there first.

Although I don't care for its looks, the Honda accessory touring screen has a nice steel tubing brace to keep the top of the screen from flexing too much at speed. There may be one other aftermarket screen that uses something similar?

You have looked at the Madstad? NC700X / NC750X It's adjustable and works. Adjusted right you look over the top of it and the wind is blown over the top of you. That being said in heavy winds crosswinds the wind will come around the sides and get you. Mine was actual too tall and I drilled some holes to lower it. But I could have mine so high I can look through it. On those really hot days lower it and tilt it back so the air flow gets you in the chest. It also comes in handy when traveling gravel rutted roads like the Dalton I lower it way down so I can see closer in front of me. In the rain I lower it so airflow hits my helmet and helps keep face shield clear. With the ability to adjust you have a much better chance of getting it to work for you. Fixed windshield , works or doesn't work...

Although I don't care for its looks, the Honda accessory touring screen has a nice steel tubing brace to keep the top of the screen from flexing too much at speed. There may be one other aftermarket screen that uses something similar?

The Madstad is the only one I can think of, I stopped thinking about other windscreens after I got one.

I use to think a tall windshield is the way to go. Had plenty of them on my Vstroms. Tall windshield, to me, just cause issues such as buffeting and handling problems at higher speeds. I've spent a pile of money looking for that right screen. I find the stock Honda screen perfect. No buffeting, directs the air around the major portion of my body and leaves my helmet in free air. Its perfect when it's 80+ allowing my mesh gear to do its job. I dress right for the winter and have no issues with the cold.

That's a little bit like the argument of which is better.... chocolate ice cream or vanilla! There's a ton of options out there for tall riders. I'm 6'5" and use the MRA Vario screen, as a like the option of being able to change the air flow angle depending on conditions. I also added the Palmer Products frame to give me more options for adjusting.

But in the end, you'll need to spend some time on-line looking at vids and product descriptions to find one that really fits your needs for 1), airflow, and 2) appearance.

MadStad is the only windscreen to get. I am also 6'2" w/34" inseam. I got the 22" screen.

Nothing will rid you of side wind buffeting except a cage - we're not going there!

This topic is really hard to define.
It really depends on each rider (height, inseam, etc...)
I had used: Honda Tall (caused buffetting), Then Honda Tall with the puig spoiler (this worked pretty well) and now the madstad adjustable (works out a little better). I like the madstad because of the adjustablility on it. Seems to protect a little wider area compared to the honda tall with the puig spoiler.

I am 5'10" tall, inseam about 32"/33", 180 pounds.
Good Luck,
ken

Last edited:
Looks like the Madstad gets rave reviews and is the way to go for maximum airflow control and comfort on long rides but if you don't want to spend too much and need a good looking windscreen, I'd consider a Puig. I am very happy with mine. They also offer a clip-on deflector add-on that could be useful to adjust airflow at high speed and to better match your body height.

IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg

Ah... chocolate! :p

I agree.

But here's a significant question. There's chocolate soft-serve. There's vanilla soft-serve. There's choc/vanilla soft serve. HOW COME THERE'S NO DARK CHOCOLATE SOFT SERVE? We all know that the only true chocolate is dark chocolate!!!!!

Last edited:
+10 ^^^^^^^^^^^ not to derail the windscreen topic but good chocolate is far more critical to life...

85% cacao :D

image.jpg

Looks like the Madstad gets rave reviews and is the way to go for maximum airflow control and comfort on long rides but if you don't want to spend too much and need a good looking windscreen, I'd consider a Puig. I am very happy with mine. They also offer a clip-on deflector add-on that could be useful to adjust airflow at high speed and to better match your body height.

View attachment 24608
View attachment 24609
I had and still have a Puig with the adjustable visor. It doesn't compare to the MadStad. I do like the looks of the Puig, though.

I'm going back to the stock screen for the hot weather, the vStream just doesn't let enough air through for my helmet vents to work right.

As soon as it cools off, the big screen goes back on.

some of us make our own from scratch... can be as tall as you want then...sides can be hinged so that handlebars will still go full right/left.
Use Lexan not Plexiglass.
Use Dale's nut plate for safety.
use pop rivets with rubber washers to make sure the lexan doesn't rest full against the aluminum flat bar or else water will colect there.
If you'd like more details on "how to", I'm ready to tell.
homews.jpg
It can be done!

Last edited:
Back