• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aftermarket Handlebar Riser Slipping

omniphil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I got some cheap risers off amazon...

I've had them for close to a year and have noticed that they don't keep the handlebars in place anymore.
I have tightened the bolts down some more but if I push on the bars I can get them to rotate.

I have no idea what the torque spec for these is, but I have them torque down about as tight as I think I can without snapping something.

Have you guys run into this?

In Persig’s book,” Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance “ he mentions the use of aluminum shims cut from a beer can to tighten up handlebars. ( his friend, riding a BMW, is appalled at using such a proletarian substance, and buys new handlebar mounts)

YMMV

somewhere in this forum is a discussion of roughing up the area of the handlebars that contact the risers to provide better grip (using sandpaper or a file or something). The smooth finish of the bars and risers allows slippage.

I would expect the torque spec for the riser bolts to be the same as for the stock handlebar clamp bolts. Don't over tighten. If it doesn't hold, the bore size in the clamp might be too big, thus requiring a thin shim, as suggested in post #3.

Back