• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

African Twin

OCR, I noticed this on Mike's moto-mule website, https://www.facebook.com/MotoMule

Hmmm...

View attachment 30339

Ray

That is the Dakar paint job, but a manual, see clutch cable. Mine that I will get someday is a DCT. You folks out west did get a few AT Dakar DCT units to your warehouse, but none I know of in my part of the states yet. My AT DCT Dakar will come out of the Shreveport, LA warehouse someday!

That is the Dakar paint job, but a manual, see clutch cable. Mine that I will get someday is a DCT. You folks out west did get a few AT Dakar DCT units to your warehouse, but none I know of in my part of the states yet. My AT DCT Dakar will come out of the Shreveport, LA warehouse someday!

Ha! I bought my Tenere from them. I'm going to ask the saleswoman to let me know when it comes in. I work within walking distance from their store. I'm going to go sit on your bike before you do! Mwaahaaahaaa!

If this is what you were told at time of purchase, it may not be what ends up happening.
The way things are with normal transport logistics (all messed up due to supply interruptions) and
dealer orders you may find that your AT will be dropshipped from where ever. Until production resumes normally
and it follows the regular shipment routes will be followed.
But now, once a unit has been located, your dealer will have to pay to transport/relocate on their dime.
My dealer had to pay that fee, reluctantly. I think, most available units will come from Honda Powerhouse dealers,
who get their orders prioritized than regulars. For some reason, these Powerhouse dealers are located out in the
boondocks where there would be no significant customer base, especially the AT. Must be real estate related costs
or something. In Georgia where I live, the nearest PH dealer is 2hrs south of Atlanta, in a small town called Tifton, GA.

Last edited:
If this is what you were told at time of purchase, it may not be what ends up happening.
The way things are with normal transport logistics (all messed up due to supply interruptions) and
dealer orders you may find that your AT will be dropshipped from where ever.
Also, once a unit has been located, your dealer will have to pay to transport/relocate on their dime.
My dealer had to pay that fee, reluctantly. I think, most available units will come from Honda Powerhouse dealers,
who get their orders prioritized than regulars. For some reason, these Powerhouse dealers are located out in the
boondocks where there would be no significant customer base, especially the AT. Must be real estate related costs
or something.
I just remembered, OCR told me that Shreveport has a major warehouse here in Shreveport. I may not get to sit on it after all!

How does it feel? Riding the AT vs. NC
There is a short section of HWY180 near Suches, GA named Wolf Pen Gap Rd. which connects
to GA 19/129 that goes onto famous Blood Mountain, Neels Gap and to Blairsville.
One of the better roads to test bike performance and experiences.

You can ride the AT just like you rode the NC.
Calm and relaxing, cruise style riding through twisties and enjoying the scenery.
IMO, this is just one side of the AT engine character.
The wilder side shows up, with the proper control settings and being liberal with the throttle.
The NC does not have this kind of character. IMO, most NC owners
are fine without it. If you like S mode on the NC, experiencing this wilder side of AT, you
probably will change your mind....
Some obvious differences noted:
1. You would think the 21" front would change the ride considerably,
but I found it doesn't. Some others have mentioned that
it's significantly different but I did not notice it much.
2. The other difference that stands out is the 'bouncy' suspension of the AT.
Don't take it the wrong way, in a spirited turn, the AT rails like
it's on track and the bike is balanced well with no 'pogo' action even
with trail braking or front braking. What it does do on occasion
is that it will momentarily loose traction for a micro second.
I could feel the rear slide maybe an inch at the apex on dry pavement.
Nothing like the slippage I experienced on the NC after I put Shinko on the rear.
So, this may just be the Dunlop (budget) tires that comes stock, not able to keep up.

For me, to comparing corner handling in detail btwn the two would not be fair at this time,
since I don't have the miles on the AT yet, so that review will be in my next posting.

3. Slow speed maneuvering: AT beats NC
The reason is that 43 deg bar turn and the bigger front wheel
I am comparing the full lock turn abilities of the two bikes.
The AT has a smaller min. turn radius than the NC.
NC wins over AT on slow speed control. AT is
twitchy for lack of a better word, at speeds below 20mph.
To the point it lurches and jerks. It stays in 2nd gear
most of the time when it does this, whereas the NC would be smooth.
Seems to me my AT is telling me to haul, don't like this speed. :)

How does it feel? Riding the AT vs. NC
There is a short section of HWY180 near Suches, GA named Wolf Pen Gap Rd. which connects
to GA 19/129 that goes onto famous Blood Mountain, Neels Gap and to Blairsville.
One of the better roads to test bike performance and experiences.

You can ride the AT just like you rode the NC.
Calm and relaxing, cruise style riding through twisties and enjoying the scenery.
IMO, this is just one side of the AT engine character.
The wilder side shows up, with the proper control settings and being liberal with the throttle.
The NC does not have this kind of character. IMO, most NC owners
are fine without it. If you like S mode on the NC, experiencing this wilder side of AT, you
probably will change your mind....
Some obvious differences noted:
1. You would think the 21" front would change the ride considerably,
but I found it doesn't. Some others have mentioned that
it's significantly different but I did not notice it much.
2. The other difference that stands out is the 'bouncy' suspension of the AT.
Don't take it the wrong way, in a spirited turn, the AT rails like
it's on track and the bike is balanced well with no 'pogo' action even
with trail braking or front braking. What it does do on occasion
is that it will momentarily loose traction for a micro second.
I could feel the rear slide maybe an inch at the apex on dry pavement.
Nothing like the slippage I experienced on the NC after I put Shinko on the rear.
So, this may just be the Dunlop (budget) tires that comes stock, not able to keep up.

For me, to comparing corner handling in detail btwn the two would not be fair at this time,
since I don't have the miles on the AT yet, so that review will be in my next posting.

3. Slow speed maneuvering: AT beats NC
The reason is that 43 deg bar turn and the bigger front wheel
I am comparing the full lock turn abilities of the two bikes.
The AT has a smaller min. turn radius than the NC.
NC wins over AT on slow speed control. AT is
twitchy for lack of a better word, at speeds below 20mph.
To the point it lurches and jerks. It stays in 2nd gear
most of the time when it does this, whereas the NC would be smooth.
Seems to me my AT is telling me to haul, don't like this speed. :)
3.) I'm confused at your description. It takes considerable skill to ride a motorcycle at it's minimum turning radius. It's not just a matter of degrees of steering lock or wheel diameter, it's leaning the bike over and describing a circle while rolling on the tire's minimum radius because a full lock circle with the bike on the extreme edges of it's tires is smaller than a circle with the bike relatively upright at full lock. I'd wager even a good rider that can easily ride full lock turns wouldn't know the difference between 2.6 meters and 3.0 meters because he can't describe a circle close to that anyway. Try a U turn or circle in the width of two parking spaces (18' or 5.5 meters) and see what happens. :) If the AT is less controllable at low speeds compared to the NC, as you say 'twitchy'....how does the AT have better slow speed behavior in tight radius turns?

The min turn radius are 8.5 ft. and 9.9 ft. for the AT and NC respective.
Wheel base are 62" and 60.6" for AT & NC.
Of course, even with my practicing 'Gymkhana' turn methods, I did not achieve the min.
What I was describing was within my abilities. And what I was able to achieve.
My practice area is the typical boundary of TWO adjacent parking spaces at a local HS lot- so as you say 18' std. width.
Starting the turn from one side, not only does the AT clear the other side with
a bigger margin than the NC, it feels better, even without the infamous low CoG of the NC.
I've done the MSF Ultimate Bike Bonding course, which is all about slow speed maneuvers, with my NC.
Judging from my performance of that class, I was better than most (prolly due to the others having brought
their cruisers and Super T's) but there is some skill involved. I do practice as much as I can, since.

The 'twitchiness" of the AT at slow speeds was not while doing tight turns.( there, I am actually braking, to lean the bike over as much as I can, at full lock)
It happens whilst following a slow cager for a duration mostly straight line. I try to keep the throttle
dead steady, but the engine wants to go. Engine speed oscillates up and down, maybe less than +- 100rpms but definitely 'twitchy'.

If I can prove the min. turn radius, I will have to post vid, I promise.

DCTFAN - Which AT do you have, the DCT or the manual? Also, which color do you have? You are correct in that the dealership has no control over which color or transmission they are currently receiving. I could have had a couple of silver offers, but I really want the Dakar DCT AT.

Last edited:
DCTFAN - Which AT do you have, the DCT or the manual? Also, which color do you have? You are correct in that the dealership has no control over which color or transmission they are currently receiving. I could have had a couple of silver offers, but I really want the Dakar DCT AT.

This one is mine. CRF1000LD (D for Deluxe :))
If you get yours, we'll be like "twins".

:D
CRF1000LD.jpg

I would bet you most likely got the first DCT in the south. When did you order your Dakar DCT and which dealship did you get it from? How many miles have you put on the AT?

For what it's worth, my VIN number ends with ____GK000002.

It came from Chattanooga TN but I dealt with a local dealer.
Between the time they had no 2016 models on the floor and
started getting the Africa Twins, I saw three different ones.
Silver and Red manual, and then my Red DCT.
The Silver manual is used as a demo bike and they still have it.

I was able to resist!

27a6260eda087fcf6e2f636194a87e21.jpg

Finally saw an AT in person. Very nice motorcycle. I was surprised how larger it is compared to the NCX.

Someday.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, my VIN number ends with ____GK000002.

It came from Chattanooga TN but I dealt with a local dealer.
Between the time they had no 2016 models on the floor and
started getting the Africa Twins, I saw three different ones.
Silver and Red manual, and then my Red DCT.
The Silver manual is used as a demo bike and they still have it.

I have really enjoyed your reviews of the AT. Someday, yes, someday it will get to experience the twin to your AT.

Back