• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A Sad Moment

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been on tour for the last week and a half and been having a great time. Yesterday when I was coming around a sharp bend in the road I notice a vehicle parked off to the left. There was a mother and her two sons that were approximately 10 years old laying flowers at a white cross on the side of the road. As I rounded the corner she heard the bike coming and she and the two boys watched intently as I pass. I knew instinctively that her husband had died in a motorcycle crash on that corner. The look I got from them is burned into my brain. I feel so bad for the two young boys who will grow up without their father. I have not told my wife about this because I know she would worry about me so I decided to post this here to ease my heavy heart.

We all push the limit at times but think of those that you will leave behind. Ride safe.

Last edited:
Yes, I too do not bother my wife with tales of this nature. It is a "SAD" story and it does hit all us riders in our hearts.

It is something that reminds us that we are human and not machines, no matter how much we think that we are when we're on our bikes. We tend to become one with our machines with body and sole, but we are destined by nature to be two separate entities. The machine will be around after we all have gone away to meet our maker or it become something else in the near future to continue on. All that will be left of us will be memories and sorrow. Once we are totally forgotten, we are truly dead and as if we did not exist.

Sorry to be so gloomy...

In 1997 I had a customer and a friend who died in a motorcycle accident. He was riding the interstate in Arkansas when he had a heart attack, he left the roadway and when down. Before anyone could turn around an get to him, he was dead. Shortly there after, a police officer went to his house and told his wife about the accident. The police officer told her that he was sorry about the sad news. She quickly informed the officer the news was not sad, as that was the way her husband would have preferred to pass from this world.

About 10 years later, his son came to my dealership wanting to buy a new motorcycle. I told him he would have to get his mother's permission before I would sell him a motorcycle. He was 25 years old. He got upset at me. About 2 hours later, he and his mother came back to my dealership. She informed me that buying a new motorcycle from me would have been what his father would have wanted, and she was going to cosign for her son.

Now that is love!

Last edited:
My entire family is anti-motorcycles due to a motorcycle fatality in my family. Every family handles it differently. I think I can say with 100% accuracy that I am the only rider on either my mothers or fathers side. My cousin was killed on a motorcycle at 17 (1982). We were the same age and ran everywhere together as kids. You can’t imagine how many times I was warned or begged not to ride. It hit my family hard. Then you hear stories like OCRs. Families where riding is part of there life and they know the inherent dangers and accept it. I feel bad for the family you saw the other day. I pray they will be taken care of in the years to come.

The greatest service manual ever written tells me that because of the cross this earthly life is but a flash compared to the time my soul will exist. This I believe.

My grandmother was so happy the day my uncle said he was selling his race car.
So happy she didn't even hear the part about buying/building a newer faster lighter one...
Took her a year to realize that he didn't stop racing.

When My father asks how my ride was, I answer honestly, some times with statements like "Miserable, 5 attempted vehicular manslaughters." He smiles, and asks me to tell him about it, and he smiles even more, every accident avoided is a lesson, and every lesson makes us better, and safer.

When My wife asks how my ride was, it was always the best ride I've had. She doesn't know, and doesn't need to know that I'm still learning and getting better at this riding thing after two years on the bike... She just needs to see me smile when I come home, and know that I'm coming home.

Sad story indeed, we had a beloved program director at one of the radio stations I work at get into a bike accident early spring 4 or 5 years ago and over half the guys who rode, including myself, sold everything (I kept my WR450, though and was going to be off road only) and stop riding. Thing is he didn't die and was sort of wearing all his gear, a half helmet, jacket, gloves and boots, but he hit his head just right and has permanent brain damage and will never be "right" again. THAT was a sobering thought. The entire company was pushing for all of us to get rid of bikes as well.

Then after a month or so I REALLY got the itch to ride a big bike and had a great conversation with one of the on air guys who brought the accident into perspective to me and stated what I was sort if thinking: that was an avoidable accident but a simple accident non-the-less. A week later I bought an 02 CBR954RR and have been back ever since. And so has everyone that sold their bike with one exception.

But the first thing I tell people who say things to me like "so and so died on a bike and how can you ride those death traps" is know anyone who died in a car accident? How about anyone who ever drowned? Do you still drive your car? Take a shower? No matter what you do you have a risk and can do what you can to stop it but YOU are in control of what happens to YOU 99% of the time. Ride with that in mind and be surprised as to how safe you actually can be on a bike.

Sad story, but if I or my dad ever dies in a motorcycle crash, I know, and my family knows I was doing what I loved and would not deny myself that.

Mike

My wife knows my answer: if I tell her it was a good ride, less than 3 people tried to kill me, same answer I tell the guys at work. If less than 3 cages tried to kill me, it was a good ride. Even though the construction thru Louisville (new bridges) is a PITA, drivers have to slow down due to the congestion which is actually good-I had rather be riding at 30mph with all the congested cars, then the 60-70 mph drivers usually go thru the area when there is no construction.
Be careful out there guys.

There are worse ways to go. While most of us do not dwell on the fact that our next ride might be our last day on earth-it very well could happen. Or worse yet (IMHO) a catastrophic brain or spinal injury. I worked as a ICU/critical care RN for over 20 years and saw quite a few m/c injuries.The overwhelming number were neither fatal or catastrophic. They were a "speed bump" in the course of life. Mosttly they would state emphatically that they " get back in the saddle".
My prayer before I ride goes something like this: LORD. Please don't let me do anything stupid and dont let those idiots in the cars do anything stupid either. Let me get home safe. AMEN
While our family and friends might prefer that we did not ride most at least reluctantly accept that this is what we do. We must do our part by riding smart -safe -responsible. LETS GO FOR A RIDE!!!

My mother really doesn't like that I'm getting into motorcycling. My late uncle (her brother) was very nearly killed at 19y/o when he was riding on some farmers fields with a group of mates. They didn't know the farmer had started erecting a fence with only the top wire strung. That top wire was just at the right height to catch a rider across the throat. If he had been going any faster it probably would have taken his head off but instead severely tore up his larynx. He had no voice after that as the re-constructive surgery at the time could not save it.

Both my grandparents were avid riders themselves at some stage (I've seen the photos) but this incident might have been what made them give it up. My mum has been vehemently against motorcycling ever since then and still to this day refuses to listen to any reason, even when I try to explain how vastly better the protective gear is compared to 50 years ago. She's also too afraid to fly even though statistically its the safest way to travel. She lives in fear, and is something I'm actively trying to avoid these days.

My dad's side has never been interested in motorcycling for whatever reason, so I guess I'll be the first one in the family to take it up in over half a century. I don't have a family/dependants to worry about (or to worry about me) and probably never will, so whatever I do, it is for the express purpose of my own pursuit of happiness.

as the manual said-ride defensively. and don't forget to buy a good life insurance. specially,if you have kids

In 1997 I had a customer and a friend who died in a motorcycle accident. He was riding the interstate in Arkansas when he had a heart attack, he left the roadway and when down. Before anyone could turn around an get to him, he was dead. Shortly there after, a police officer went to his house and told his wife about the accident. The police officer told her that he was sorry about the sad news. She quickly informed the officer the news was not sad, as that was the way her husband would have preferred to pass from this world.

About 10 years later, his son came to my dealership wanting to buy a new motorcycle. I told him he would have to get his mother's permission before I would sell him a motorcycle. He was 25 years old. He got upset at me. About 2 hours later, he and his mother came back to my dealership. She informed me that buying a new motorcycle from me would have been what his father would have wanted, and she was going to cosign for her son.

Now that is love!

True love from the mother and special love from a friend. How many dealers would do what you did .... not many ...

Mothers will be mothers. My mother hates I ride and always tells me to be safe on that thing, and she still calls me 2-3 times a week to make sure I am ok (I am closer to 56 years old).

we cant avoid all the bad driver and rider, BUT we can help ourselves. still pushing over the limit of of your abilities, our abilities are very low even when you think we are great.

please leave the illegal speed and crazy maneuver to a race track, life is short, to die in a senseless accident would be a waste of your life.

even the race track does not guarantee you will live thu an accident but increases your chances and avoid creating bigger accident with the innocent drivers and rider.

When I was younger my mom did not approve. Sold the bike after about a year.
Now, which I am alot older & wiser. She knows how safe I am on the water (boating/fishing) and also on the bike (nc700x).
She sees my Hi-VIS helmet that I always wear. Plus she sees that I wear Hi-Vis vest at night when I ride.
I even equipped my top case with LED indicators and running lights. Just so I can be seen easier from behind.
Now she approves, but always tell me to watch out.

She just needs to see me smile when I come home, and know that I'm coming home.

This. Very similar to my situation. My wife has zero interest in ever getting on a bike but seeing how happy it makes me is enough for her.

That and promising never to leave her for a girl who rides! ;)

Back