• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A little over 300 miles and my bike is already broken!!??!!??

Save your NCX guys. It is highly probable that Honda may discontinue this model since they have others (500s, CTX) coming out.
Although I love this bike, it is really an inbetweener and I suspect she will be discontinued.

I doubt that as the NC is selling very well in the UK and the rest of Europe and I really can't see the CTX doing very well outside the USA.

the europeans inc the UK will not like the CTX and it will not knock the NC off the shelf.
believe it or not most of my backrest sales are in the USA and not just the nc.
there's more naked/half naked bikes than custom bikes here.but thats my opinion.

oh and pressure washer on a bike!thats a definite no no in my book.
like wozza said to many seals have been damage by these p/washers.
I used mine to clean the drive/patio and sometimes underneath the car.
I also used it once even on low pressure on the new car that I had and the plastic side trim started to come off.
not only that the wheels coated lacquer started to look dull after a couple of wash's.
so now I just used mine as above patio etc

Last edited:
guys guys,
:p
I do know about the powerjet pressure risk while washing motorcyles.
I do not focus hard or near at any one point.
For example, especially at the fins of the radiator. it is one of the quickest way to douche off a dirty bike and I am careful.
I usually spray lightly across the "sensitive" parts almost like a light painter.

However, the key assembly seems to have disagreed with the water and I will need to re-lube it.
:p

Save your NCX guys. It is highly probable that Honda may discontinue this model since they have others (500s, CTX) coming out.
Although I love this bike, it is really an inbetweener and I suspect she will be discontinued.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a while. The sales figures for the manual and automatic are off the charts globally, and Honda has attributed a large part of their recent surge in sales to this particular model.

(((That is the most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a while.)))

pocorn.gif

Folks, I have read about the new 2000cc Goldwing for some 18 years now. Still I have not seen one. Don't believe every thing you read, or hear. Very few bikes are dumped early because of manufacture cost. It takes years for a manufacture to recover research cost, so things just don't change real quick in the motorcycle industry. Plus all the government regulations slow things down even more. This engine is now being used in a couple of different platforms, and will be used in a lot more before it is gone. The engine cc size might change a little, but the basics won't. The Honda 50 cub engine has been here forever, its now a 70cc, a 90cc and a 125cc, but still the same basic engine concept. Besides why do you care, I still have my 1978 Goldwing that I ride regularly, and I can still get parts! What really matters, is if you like it, and you don't want a change. No retailer would be in business if folks didn't want change, so change is a normal thing. Remember the grass is always greener on the other side, until you get there.

It will not be discontinued at least in Europe. It is the borderline bike (less than or equal to 35kw and is less than or equal to 0.2kw/kg )that fits into the A2(new) drivers license level. There will be a huge market for it in Europe due to all younglings (under24s and riders with an A1 license for less than 2 years ) buying a new bike within the limits of their new license class for the coming years.

I sort of suspect that the 500 is just a bored out 400 which Honda originally developed for the domestic market to provide an NCish looking adventure-styled little brother offering for the people in Japan who like the NC but can't get one due to the expense and trouble of obtaining the necessary large bike license required for anything over a 400.

Solving Ignition Key Problems

Thanks for all the good posts about keys getting stuck in the two locks on the 700. I had about 150 miles on my bike when I started encountering problems. Here are a couple of things that I learned here, that work for me.
1) I started with graphite and things improved immediately and continued improving.
2) The whole ignition lock set up is tight. Someone made the point that the key needs to be put in dead straight. I also have a problem if I don't pull the key out of the ignition dead straight. A straight firm pull works great and I sigh with relief for having dodged a bullet one more time!
3) This may be obvious, but I don't remember reading it in the manual. When you initially put the key in the ignition, you need to push the whole operation down and in all the way, and then let it pop back up to the normal position. Once there, you can turn the key from "Off" to "ON". For a while I was only pushing the whole ignition thing in 1/2 way and I was unable to turn the bike on. I found this by trial and error and hope I save someone else some time.
4) Keys appear to be working ok now. When I encounter additional problems, which I fully expect, my next step is to see a professional lock smith and have him see if he can clean up the key/ignition assembly.
Good luck -
Basman

I googled tri-flow - it's a range of bicycle lubes. They do have a dry lube which might be what he's talking about It's ptfe based, which is one of the recommended lock lubes as an alternative to graphite.

I know this is a relatively old post to reply to, but never the less-

TRI-FLOW-Superior-Lubricant-59ml.jpg

I've heard of this stuff for ever, and always associated it with super finicky and picky bicycle chain lubing doods. I have no idea if it would be good for locks and keys though. I would imagine teflon/ptfe must not be too "sticky", so I can't see it attracting dirt and grime to clog up a lock, but who knows.

I know this is a relatively old post to reply to, but never the less-

View attachment 7046

I've heard of this stuff for ever, and always associated it with super finicky and picky bicycle chain lubing doods. I have no idea if it would be good for locks and keys though. I would imagine teflon/ptfe must not be too "sticky", so I can't see it attracting dirt and grime to clog up a lock, but who knows.

It should be fine. There are two basic dry lubricants recommended for locks - graphite and Teflon/PTFE.

Broken key in ignition

Ok, so it happened to me. I kinda knew it would as I can get impatient. :(

My key broke off in the ignition. Half the key is in the ignition. The other useless half is in my hand. I have a spare, but the broken half is in the ignition. What are my options here?

1. Locksmith
2. Honda dealer
3. report bike as stolen
4. other

The NC700XD is in a 7 story garage (@work).

I will call the Honda dealer tomorrow. Maybe do some internet searches as well for insight.

Back