• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

600 mile service.......double check

Konrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Frustrates me when a slacker employee at a motorcycle shop didn't change the clutch oil filter when I paid for my 600 mile service. Sure they took care of the problem and were apologetic. But, when you pay these shops $99+/ hour I expect them to pay attention and do what's supposed to be done. I shouldn't have to double check their work and bust them for forgetting. Grrr....I could have done the service, I'd just rather support the shop. If there worth $99/hour what's my time to ride the bike back down and have them fix it?

just needed to rant. Hope you all don't mind. Bike is awesome though. Love her. 790 miles so far.

If all you want to do is support the shop, just donate $99 to them and do the work yourself. You'll be better off in the long run.

yep. that's why i always doing as much as possible myself. cars,trucks,motorcycles. everything. next door neighbor just got his brand new Mercedes back from a dealership. first oil change-they broke the threads on oil pan and have to replace the whole pan. but wait...if you think 99$\hour is too much. try MB. rates are 250 and up. as high as $300/hour in some dealerships. how did you find out about filter?

For dealer horror stories, I took a Ford motorhome chassis into a Ford dealer so they could read the fault code on the ABS controller, which they assured me they could do. It turned out they did NOT have the right adapter to access the ABS module. Then they told me they broke the engine oil dipstick in half. What??? Turns out they changed the oil on the wrong motorhome and in the process broke my dipstick. I didn't even order an oil change; I had just done mine myself. They even put in the wrong oil viscosity. I made them give me 6 quarts of oil, but it took a month to identify the right dipstick and get it to me. I didn't pay them a dime and will never go back. But guess what, I still don't know what error is in the ABS module!

how did you find out about filter?

Simply read the part #'s they used and then came back her and seen what was supposed to be done. Pretty simple to catch. They were like ohhhh.....one of the other bikes didn't need it. Well.....read the fricken book. Don't wing it if you don't know for sure.

I will say on the easy service, I will do myself.
The more complicated ones I MAY OR MAY NOT PERFORM MYSELF.
All depends on how much TIME and how much CHALLENGE I want for myself.
I do have the HONDA service manuel and its very good. It tells you what you need to do and how to do it.

As I wrote in another thread, the warranty is here void is service is not done by a Honda approved shop.

I found a one man operation with a truly respectful reputation - Metura-Motors Oy | Moottoripyörien huolto ja korjaukset / Suzuki-, Kawasaki- ja Honda-merkkihuolto

I am impressed by everything he did. It was very far from just an oil change + both filters. He checked and tightened every bolt on the bike, dismantled the handle bars, took off the upper triple clamp and carefully adjusted the steering head bearings...

Charged only the Honda recommended 0,7 hours for labor + parts and oil.

And we had a good time talking about past times and experiences.

Soooo different from the big ones.

/T

If all you want to do is support the shop, just donate $99 to them and do the work yourself. You'll be better off in the long run.

This board helped a lot there. With help from here, I can do Most services myself.... except for valve adjustments.
Oil, filters, brakes pads, I do on my own.
(I'm thinking of the valve adjustment for next time...but it still makes my stomach turn flip flops.)

It helps to find a local motorcycle mechanic (SAE certified) who is not part of one of the big "power sports" shops.
That helped too. I have an older mechanic I can talk to now, not some guy who works on my bike I never get to see.

This board helped a lot there. With help from here, I can do Most services myself.... except for valve adjustments.
Oil, filters, brakes pads, I do on my own.
(I'm thinking of the valve adjustment for next time...but it still makes my stomach turn flip flops.)

QUOTE]

I actually have the mental know how to do the services. I worked for a Honda motorcycle shop for 8 years or so + other shops. I've taken my dirtbikes apart. ext. For me, it's that I live in an apartment and don't want to deal with it. If I had a garage and tools I'd totally dive in and do my own work. Now, it's a possibility I could buy the parts and go to a friends garage of course. But, I'm a little hesitant to bother people with that sort of stuff. Sort of goes back to the feeling of owning a pick-up and having someone ask you all the time to borrow it. I try not to burrden people. BUt, when the time comes and I have a garage I'll be playing with farkles in the garage ALL the time I'm sure. :)

I actually have the mental know how to do the services. I worked for a Honda motorcycle shop for 8 years or so + other shops. I've taken my dirtbikes apart. ext. For me, it's that I live in an apartment and don't want to deal with it. If I had a garage and tools I'd totally dive in and do my own work. Now, it's a possibility I could buy the parts and go to a friends garage of course. But, I'm a little hesitant to bother people with that sort of stuff. Sort of goes back to the feeling of owning a pick-up and having someone ask you all the time to borrow it. I try not to burrden people. BUt, when the time comes and I have a garage I'll be playing with farkles in the garage ALL the time I'm sure. :)

I sympathize with your predicament. I moved to Arkansas just shy of two years ago. I had not sold my house in Illinois so I had to rent an apartment which had a very "by the book" manager. There was no way I could work on my bike at the complex. I did not know anyone since I was new to the area. In my case the dealer offered a maintenance program and it was a no brainer. I admit I have done nothing to this bike besides add farkles but in my defense it would have been tough to do anything else. I fully understand your situation.

Got 2 quotes for the $600 mile oil change. The place I got the bike from (TheMotorCafe, Sunnyvale, CA) wanted $240.00, the other (Honda of San Mateo, CA) wanted $75. Will probably do the $75, since labor is only $35 + parts + oil.

I too need to do this quick, the bike's at 620 miles.

Got 2 quotes for the $600 mile oil change. The place I got the bike from (TheMotorCafe, Sunnyvale, CA) wanted $240.00, the other (Honda of San Mateo, CA) wanted $75. Will probably do the $75, since labor is only $35 + parts + oil.

I think the dealers are basically just doing an oil change and glancing at our bikes. I paid $120.

I wouldn't sweat it. On some newer cars the very first oil change might not be until 10,000 miles according to the oil change minder. The NC engine is not terribly different than a car engine. I think the 600 mile change is a good thing, but if it was 600, 1000, or 1500 I don't think it would make much difference. The 600 mile point is a nice, round arbitrary number - about 1000 km, right? I think Honda figured what the heck, change it at 1000 km. That's a nice round number.

Has anyone else noticed the DCT shifting get smoother after the first 600 mile oil change? Especially at low throttle openings?

The new oil in my bike is the OEM Honda 10W-30.

Any chance of the factory fill being a "run-in-oil" of a different spec?

/T

Back