• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

600 mile service

Finklejag

Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning to do my 600 mile service on my 2021 on my days off. I rode to the store this morning and when I pulled into the garage and looked down to see the bike at exactly 600 miles. I couldn’t have planned it better. The oil and filter changed was straight forward and was done in about 15 minutes, including clean up. Does the NC750X have any maintenance minders that pop up on the display like other motorcycles that you need to clear?

Attachments

• 02E887F2-06EC-4749-B21C-D9F18EA1634D.jpeg
    02E887F2-06EC-4749-B21C-D9F18EA1634D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
Yeah. I don't think my bike ever had any service done when I bought it. I ended up destroying the 3/8" drive on my official Honda cup wrench trying to throw a huge breaker bar on it to get the filter off. Also tried a strap, but that just kept slipping. Not one of my best ideas ever!

I used the Lisle 63600 without taking the belly pan off. I never had a problem when using this tool with any filter.

Attachments

• 6E2812EA-BC8A-49B9-BC51-1266F511FBC1.jpeg
    6E2812EA-BC8A-49B9-BC51-1266F511FBC1.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 15
I respectfully disagree. My BMW motorcycles had the spin-on filter in a sealed cavity that was flooded with engine oil. Completely negated the benefits of a spin-on filter and was a huge mess to change.
My BMW motorcycles have/had an external spin-on filter external to the crankcase just like the NC700X and countless other vehicles. I tighten these by hand until the oiled gasket contacts the engine block, then proceed 1/4 to 1/2 turn with a filter wrench.

There actually is a torque spec for the filter. Hand tightened is usually not tight enough if you happen care about the spec. Yes, few use a torque wrench on the filter. The factory does NOT hand tighten and uses the spec. Too loose would be bad thing.

This has been discussed a dozen times prior:
Factory tightens the filter to the exact spec. The higher amount of effort needed to remove the filter is primarily due to the rubber gasket sticking or glueing itself to the engine block mating surface.

Not being tight enough in motorcycle rarely comes in play. In the automotive side, engine oil pressure on cold engine start ( 0 or -20f) with thick high viscosity oil can easily reach several hundred PSI. At those pressures the filter O-ring can be blown out dumping the entire 5 qts on the ground in seconds.

At the very cold temps and thick oil the oil pressure relief is overwhelmed. In severe cases the oil drive gears and or shaft can be stripped or broken. Normal hot oil pressure might be 50-60psi at 3000/4000 rpm. Cold engine with 5w20/30 will see 100psi under normal cold start.

Last edited:
Back