• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

60/40 Tire choice for the NC

Did read that some werent that happy with the wet traction on the front, but didnt see any complaints about that tire on the rear of the bike...

I hope your kidding... No, I don't want to read 135 pages...

No not kidding...........something as important as tires need and deserves complete research. Some tires do sell at a good price, but tires is not a place I want to go cheap. Some brands of tires have had a severe quality problems most notable chunking and tread seperation.

500 miles from home is not a time or place I want to have a any kind of tire problem.........................

No offfense if you don't want to read the text....look at the pictures.

Not offended, but you realize if you give the same tire to 35 people your going to get 35 different opinions on it. I don't need to read 134 pages of differing opinions on a tire. I read several pages from the thread and most of what I read was positive for the tire. Most were very happy with the performance of the tire and were on their second or third set. If a tire has a known problem like tread separation, the company will usually change the formula for the rubber and fix it. A problem like that is hard to ignore. I'm sure under the right circumstances any tire can be destroyed by the environment or the way its ridden, there is no cure all for that.
Lastly I'm not of the elite society that believes something has to be expensive to be good. If I were, this would be the last forum I would be a part of!!!!

Lastly I'm not of the elite society that believes something has to be expensive to be good. If I were, this would be the last forum I would be a part of!!!!

No, this would be the second to last. The last would be the KLR650 forum where sidebags are re-purposed ammo cans and top cases are a milk crate with a bungee net on top!

We are Beverly Hills, 90210 compared to them.

No, this would be the second to last. The last would be the KLR650 forum where sidebags are re-purposed ammo cans and top cases are a milk crate with a bungee net on top!

We are Beverly Hills, 90210 compared to them.

LOL! Good one. I happen to be a fan of the re-purposed ammo cans for luggage. I think they look great and you can't beat the price!! :)

I'll try not to be too elite when passing them, and still wave! :)

LOL! Good one. I happen to be a fan of the re-purposed ammo cans for luggage. I think they look great and you can't beat the price!! :)

I'll try not to be too elite when passing them, and still wave! :)

I am a recovering KLR rider. And, actually, a fan. Nothing wrong with stone-age and cheap. It still works. But getting made fun of as cheap for riding one is part of the deal just as beemer riders get ragged on for the opposite character.

Beemerphile:
This is waaay off the tire subject, but I traded my Gen 1 KLR in on the NC and the NC actually seems to have a more comfortable and sustainable standing position.
I'm 6'4", 250 plus and had real dirt pegs and 3/4" bar risers on the KLR.
What's your experience?

I am a recovering KLR rider. And, actually, a fan. Nothing wrong with stone-age and cheap. It still works. But getting made fun of as cheap for riding one is part of the deal just as beemer riders get ragged on for the opposite character.

If I'm not runing knobblys these are my more road bias choices...

Heidenau K60 scout..
k60scout.jpg

Shinko 700
shinko700.jpg

Shinko 705
0000shinko705seriesdual.jpg

some people report having issues with the 705 cracking or delaminating..
but I havn't seen a report of it happening on a small to mid sized bike... all seem
to be bikes like BMW GS 1150/ 1200 and the like, maybe weight/heat has a bearing
on the large bikes..

I really rate the 705 .. And it grips better on a lose surface better than it has any right to
with that tread patten..

Last edited:
The knobby front is very sticky,more so than the K60 rear.I have almost 7,000 miles on the set and they are at 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup they howl a bit but it's a motorcycle,your out in the wind !!.
For me it's a good trade off for the offroad abilities of this combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After. 9,000 miles I decided to try to get a little better wet weather performance out of my rear K60.I cut grooves in it with a cut off wheel.
9y2ybepe.jpg

ahapene2.jpg

a5u6avy8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9,000 miles is pretty good for a dual sport rear tire... I've had Mitas E-07 on the back of my f650gs, the tread was very similar to the heidenau K60 and rided it for 16,000 km (about 10,000 miles) sold the bike with probably 4,000 or 5,000 km on it !
My NC as only 1,000 km on it and now stored for 5 months so I have time to make the good choice of tire for dual use... TKC and K60 combo is a good choice, but i'm also interested in th Pirelli's MT-60. I've read a review from a guy riding a Kawa Versys and he did 18,000 km front and 10,000 km rear...
But for now the tires are not priority, sooo many things on the wi$hli$t !

They don't make a 17" front in a knobby except a TKC and I believe the MT is a tube tire. I should get around 11,000 miles out of the combo.Here is the TKC at 9,000 miles.
gedyzyge.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back