• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

50cc for the summer

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For better or worse, I'm planning a 50CC (Coast to Coast in 50 hours or less). Just sayin' you plan to do something and doing it are very different, but here's the planned route.
I leave on Saturday 5 July at 10:00 hrs.
I arrive in Jacksonvill, FL 50 hours later.
(sleep stop in San Antonio, TX at the half way point.)
Here's the map.
I will report back a week and a day later.
50cc2.jpg
sing: "he's got high hopes, pie in the sky, hopes..."

Last edited:
Be prepared, it will be monsoon season around Tucson area and East. Temps. 105-110 *. Don't forget your Camel Bac hydration system.
Have a safe one !

Be prepared, it will be monsoon season around Tucson area and East. Temps. 105-110 *. Don't forget your Camel Bac hydration system.
Have a safe one !

I've been doing weather checks on the major cities enroute. Hot and rainy it looks like. Hot is OK by me (grew up in southern california heat)... rain will be ... interesting... I'll have a brand new set of continental motion tires to help grab the wet road.

The return trip will take longer (more sleeping), and the entire trip will take about seven days.

Last edited:
Bout 6 hrs from SD to Tucson if the winds aren't up. Add another hour if yer buckin 60 mph headwinds all the way to Jacumba. Its @18-20 hours from Tucson to San Antonio.

Sunglasses, heavy sunscreen on anything exposed, LOTS of water. Good luck

You sir, are a glutton for punishment. The IBA's sunk its claws in deep.
Pictures on the way back when you're not against a clock (or on the way out if things don't go quite like you planned). It'll be a long time before I get to take another long motorcycle trip - will have to settle for living vicariously.
Good luck!

Bout 6 hrs from SD to Tucson if the winds aren't up. Add another hour if yer buckin 60 mph headwinds all the way to Jacumba. Its @18-20 hours from Tucson to San Antonio.

Sunglasses, heavy sunscreen on anything exposed, LOTS of water. Good luck

if it's 18 to 20 hours from Tucson to San Antonio, then I will run out of time.
867 miles and google maps says 12 hours. add three to that for gas stops, and it's still only 15.

"No combat plan survives contact with the enemy" - Helmuth von Moltke

Last edited:
From about San Antonio east you will a different heat than what you are used to. High humidity. Hydrate a lot. Mesh gear is advisable. You need lots of air flow to get the sweat to evaporate and cool you. Cooling vest and such don't work as well as they do in Arizona. Afternoon showers, if they last long enough are a blessing. I don't put on rain gear for them. Let the rain cool you off. If they are short then they just increase the humidity even more.

I-10 from Mobile, AL to Jackson is pretty boring. If you come back on I-10 and want a break, I suggest stopping at the USS Alabama in Mobile right on I-10. WWII battle ship you can tour. I think the WWII submarine is also open again.

it's funny ... the "pics or it didn't happen" phrase was one of the first things that occured to me. I plan for a pic at the beginning in San Diego, and then one at the Jacksonville Pier at the end. between? not so much.

Over the years I have made this I-10 across the USA run many times. This run takes me 4 to 5 days every time. Reason is flat land, for the most part boring scenery, and "heat" this time of year. Best time to drive this route is in fall and spring, unreal heat in summer. The I-40 across the USA run has a lot cooler temperature, better scenery, and still hot but not unreal temperatures this time of year. Summer time is not the best time to do any across the USA run. Carry lots and lots and lots of water with you (hydration pack), a means of spraying water all over your body while riding (spray bottle with water in it in handle bar drink holder), and cover up all skin parts (face with extra dark tinted helmet face shield and arms with no collar long sleeve white tee shirt). Also, pray for a lot of cloud cover. Light rain all day is great factor in your favor, but the problem with hard rain on any interstate is the 18 wheelers make it almost impossible to see anything with their spray.

Stay cool, Good luck!

Last edited:
When going thru Mobile traffic is a mess on the Bay Way and tunnel on I 10 West from around 3pm onward. Be prepared for stop an go traffic till you get past the tunnel. If you need help or something get in touch with me.

it's funny ... the "pics or it didn't happen" phrase was one of the first things that occured to me. I plan for a pic at the beginning in San Diego, and then one at the Jacksonville Pier at the end. between? not so much.
I have signed several IBA 50CC and a 100CCC witness forms in Jacksonville Beach. If you want me to witness for you just let me know time and date.

Cool, sounds like a blast...of heat :p

Google says 33 hours for that trip, why the extra 17 hours? ;) (only kidding).

What is it about old age that we just want to travel? I'd love to do a long trip like that (but not that quickly).

I was so hoping for the kind of advice I'm getting. The benefit of experience is priceless!

I wasn't going to take two riding suits, but now I think I am. Having the option to stop and change to the mesh stuff might be a good idea. (In my family, we have a saying "you can take off what you brought, but you can't put on what you left at home!" Both of my children can repeat that verbatim and in sync if you ask them.)

I'm going to take OCR's advice and come home on 40. It only adds 150 miles and will let me see something different.
First leg is 1300 miles, second is 1100. I recognized that I will have have to have NO problems for this to work.. no mechanicals, and NO traffic delays. Cruising speed will be 65 to 70 MPH.
Here's hoping!

I was so hoping for the kind of advice I'm getting. The benefit of experience is priceless!

I wasn't going to take two riding suits, but now I think I am. Having the option to stop and change to the mesh stuff might be a good idea. (In my family, we have a saying "you can take off what you brought, but you can't put on what you left at home!" Both of my children can repeat that verbatim and in sync if you ask them.)

I'm going to take OCR's advice and come home on 40. It only adds 150 miles and will let me see something different.
First leg is 1300 miles, second is 1100. I recognized that I will have have to have NO problems for this to work.. no mechanicals, and NO traffic delays. Cruising speed will be 65 to 70 MPH.
Here's hoping!
I hope you are in Jacksonville sometime in the morning of July 7th. I'll buy you a cold drink if you are up to it!

You might look on the web or even the IBA site for hot weather riding information. There is some body of knowledge that advises against mesh gear in temperatures of the mid 90s F and up. On a windy bike the wind passing through mesh may raise the rate of water loss compared to wearing vented solid textile gear.

Good luck on this endeavor!

Here's hoping!

Sorry I will not be in San Antonio to ride and cheer you on but will not get back till the 7th. Be careful on I10 from El Paso to Junction TX the speed is 80 mph and most are running closer to 90 ..... On my Wing coming from Phoenix Az one day had several almost run up my back and I was running 82 on cruise control ( gps speed) and the Wing is a lot bigger in the rear than what you're riding. Best of luck but be conspicuous, if it it not big most Texans think it's just a Armadillo and will run over it .... :-(

Back