• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

4 month waiting list for DCTs in the UK

Jelly

Reaction score
Visit site
I met another NCX DCT owner yesterday, first I've ever met in person.

She bought it from the same dealer as me, apparently she was told that the dealer can't get them in quick enough and it's resulted in a 4 month waiting list!

Maybe the DCT sales will catch up with the Manual sales if this carries on.

It's made me glad that I bought mine in January, I waited 11 days. ;)

I've never seen a DCT in person. My dealer has only carried manuals and last I knew only sold three. If a DCT was present when I bought mine I'm not sure what I would have done.

Maybe the DCT sales will catch up with the Manual sales if this carries on.

Sounds like the DCT is starting to gain popularity in the UK. Hopefully elsewhere too.

I've never seen a DCT in person. My dealer has only carried manuals and last I knew only sold three. If a DCT was present when I bought mine I'm not sure what I would have done.

Sorry to here that Sarge. I have not come across another DCT owner myself in my neck of the woods either. I did see one in a Starbucks parking lot close to where I work, no sign of the owner though. I guess that the DCT has not caught on here in the States yet.

I let my nephew ride NaNCy yesterday afternoon. He said the bike does have power and it would take some time to get used to without having to use a clutch and shifting it yourself. I have him ride it "S-Mode". He came from riding CBRs, both 600 and 1000.

So Sarge, are you saying that you would have gotten a DCT if it were available at the time you purchased your current NC?

So Sarge, are you saying that you would have gotten a DCT if it were available at the time you purchased your current NC?[/SIZE]

I'm not sure. I was afraid to test ride the bike. I was offered but turned it down. Having just came off a CBR954 and 1000 I thought I'd change my mind if I test rode the bike. I was basically forcing myself to buy a commuter. I like being in control of the RPM's but I might have not waived the test ride if a DCT was present. Hard to say. Back to my previous point thought. I really did not want to test ride this bike so I probably would have never known the difference.

I'm not sure. I was afraid to test ride the bike. I was offered but turned it down. Having just came off a CBR954 and 1000 I thought I'd change my mind if I test rode the bike. I was basically forcing myself to buy a commuter. I like being in control of the RPM's but I might have not waived the test ride if a DCT was present. Hard to say. Back to my previous point thought. I really did not want to test ride this bike so I probably would have never known the difference.

you can still control the RPM with DCT, place it in manual. all shift to be done by the rider with two fingers

you can still control the RPM with DCT, place it in manual. all shift to be done by the rider with two fingers

That's how I eventually came to ride the DCT. It was essentially an easy shifting manual bike that would not allow you to lug or over rev, with the added convenience of downshifting back to first automatically for you when you stopped. Nice.

good lord ya canna do it!!! not while ya picking ya nose ya canna
nose-pick.gif

I have no idea because I've never been around one. So I guess my question is this. Just out of curiosity. Shifting down while in manual mode is EXACTLY the same is shift down with a manual clutch outside the fact your using your fingers? The bike reacts the exact same way? I really have no idea. I rarely read the threads on the DCT since they don't pertain to me but right this second I'm curious.

For me, as a seasoned DCT Rider. That all depends on the riding conditions that you're in at the moment to determine which "Drive Model" is used.
"S-mode" is my "GOTO" for 80-90% of the time with "Manual Override" when needed.
"D-Mode" is more less for Highway and where you would not be stopping and going constantly.
In "MT-Model", you are still subject to the "Rev Limiter". I found it to be good when doing "Low Speed" maneuverers or “Lane Splitting/Filtering” or forcing the trans into “Lockdown”…

I have no idea because I've never been around one. So I guess my question is this. Just out of curiosity. Shifting down while in manual mode is EXACTLY the same is shift down with a manual clutch outside the fact your using your fingers? The bike reacts the exact same way? I really have no idea. I rarely read the threads on the DCT since they don't pertain to me but right this second I'm curious.

Yes it reacts the same way, when you downshift it does engine brake just like a manual. all the same.

just like an automatic car. some car like VW have similar mode of transmission with up and down shift

you can do the same in your automatic car, drive in "D" and downshift one gear. it reacts the same way.

but the DCT is mush faster then a regular than a torque converter style transmission

Yes it reacts the same way, when you downshift it does engine brake just like a manual. all the same.

just like an automatic car. some car like VW have similar mode of transmission with up and down shift

you can do the same in your automatic car, drive in "D" and downshift one gear. it reacts the same way.

but the DCT is mush faster then a regular than a torque converter style transmission

In my head that is how I've tried to imagine it. Like a car. To me an automatic car with the manual option does not downshift the same as a clutch. My wifes jeep is an auto with the optin to manual up and downshift. I don't think it feels anything at all like shifting with a clutch which is why I have a hard time understanding how the bike could feel the same. Maybe I feather my clutch to much and I like being able to do that. Not sure. No worries though. I appreciate the replies.

I think in the future, if RIDERS were to be more open minded about DCT tranny it can take over. with refinement DCT could take over.

it has already done so for High performance cars, porsches, ferrari and many high end car uses them, no more driver error in shifting, is much faster.

I think in the future, if RIDERS were to be more open minded about DCT tranny it can take over. with refinement DCT could take over.

it has already done so for High performance cars, porsches, ferrari and many high end car uses them, no more driver error in shifting, is much faster.

Your car examples remind us of one other obstacle to DCT popularity. It costs more.

Your car examples remind us of one other obstacle to DCT popularity. It costs more.

that is right it cost more, but eventually it can come down if the market ask for it

ABS and air bags did cost more too at some point, they were only in BMW, lexus and benz, now you get that in a corrolla as standard. sure corolla cost less back then but you can still have it.

if manufacturer wanted to make it cheaper so people can buy, do you think is not possible? they will find way for us to buy stuff. future tech is to be released in the future when the market ask for it. this is how they keep us buying new stuff and keep the company economically alive. cause the next one is better not cheaper. this is what make us buy stuff. this are luxury goods.

if the competitor to honda made a better DCT. for a 500-1000 more i would consider it.

Last edited:
that is right it cost more, but eventually it can come down if the market ask for it

ABS and air bags did cost more too at some point, they were only in BMW, lexus and benz, now you get that in a corrolla as standard. sure corolla cost less back then but you can still have it.

if the competitor to honda made a better DCT. for a 500-1000 more i would consider it.
The abs and air bags still cost more, but manufacturer no longer has option of not providing by law.

The abs and air bags still cost more, but manufacturer no longer has option of not providing by law.

I agree with you, they do cost more, and manufacturers have found way to mass produce them and reduce the cost so they can be afforded by normal people. many safety features are required by federal law.

as consumers we have even more power than federal law, if we all told Honda we wont buy until they make all their bikes with ABS. they will do it, in portugal, many bike come with abs as standard, no option. maybe because it rains a lot? IDK....

this is all just an opinion.

A question for those with a DCT bike: What do you do for low speed maneuvers where you would normally be riding the friction zone of the clutch to control speed?

Back