• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 model or used 2014 model??

Burns

Reaction score
Visit site
I been looking to buy a NC 750 DCT, was going to hold off until new model comes out, the other day i found a bike, 200km on the clock not far from home, about 2000 dollars cheaper than than brand new.

The owner brought and has never really used it, basically sat in his garage, the bike looks brand new, just 3 marks near the foot pegs from boots he has worn.
No farkel done to the bike.
My question is, will it affect the bike in anyway, sitting around unused for so long? I realise the battery may give trouble in the future but thats easily fixed.

I am based in Thailand, big bikes are more expensive than scooters due to Tax(new NC 750x is $10,000 US dollars and a PCX is $2500)
Just wondering if there is anything I need to know about a 10/2014 model ??

Cheers

2004 DCT is a good bike. I would go with the used motorcycle. I have not been to Thailand in over 45 years. A long time without Rice Boz. One of my college friends was from Bangkock.

Last edited:
2014 had numerous recalls, mine had speedo, frank lock, starter magnetic switch replaced. There was something more but I forgot. Some bikes had too soft tyres which lasted like 2-3k km etc.
Personally I would go with new one mainly because of improved suspension which was pretty bad on so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question is -- will it affect the bike -- No will be the answer. The question I have for you is are you intending to bring the bike to a different Country ? You say you are based there -- Military ?? The real question is can you take the bike with you if or when you get reassigned?

No mate, I am Australian.
Married to a Thai, live here in Thailand and work in Africa. So the bike will stay in Thailand.
I have been reading about the recalls and issues with the bike, will discuss them with the current owner, but only having 200 km on it i doubt he knows anything about it.

Cheers for the input guys!

I would say "no effect", but the 2016 will come with a better suspension. If you are likely to ride the bike with a pillion, than a I would definitely choose the new model with the better suspension.

What specifically is the suspension improvement on 2016 models? If it's technically significant, it might be work the wait. If it's just a marketing game, it's not worth basing a decision on.

What specifically is the suspension improvement on 2016 models? If it's technically significant, it might be work the wait. If it's just a marketing game, it's not worth basing a decision on.

New Showa dual bending valve, whatever that means hard to say for now I guess.

[video=youtube;_n8x5zdtXmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n8x5zdtXmM[/video]

unfortunately front suspension only...the rear was worse IMO because of no dumping.

Just think, you can farkle the heck out of the 2014 with $2000 dollars, including upgrading the suspension if you feel it not worthy...
Sitting for 2 years shouldn't have done anything; should not have any issues, weak battery maybe, if at all. I bought a new 2009 Kawasaki KLX250sf in 2011; it had original battery, tires, etc.. no issues. Still have the bike in storage in Florida (I ride it 2-3 days every quarter or so). Still on original tires (less then 3000 miles on them so far), original battery, only changed the oil 2 times. I pulled it out of storage first part of October, after being in storage for 5 months, hit the start button and it fired right up, and I don't keep it on a battery tender (no electricity in the garage I store it in); only thing I do for storing it is topping up the gas tank and placing 2 ounces of SeaFoam in the tank.

If you buy the 2014, change the oil (probably still has OEM oil with only 200 Km on the clock), check the tires for dry-rot, check the brake reservoirs for fluid clarity-if clear-good to go.

Thanks for all the replies and videos, haven't made a decision yet, will wait until the new year is over, lol to many things going on.
I was looking at the suspenision as an upgrade as I am big bloke and I have done upgrades on my pervious bikes, comfort most important thing!
My farkle list come to about 3,500 dollars, so the 2 grand is a good saving. (this is for a 80/20 bike i desire(soft off road))
happy new year to everyone!

Just an update
i decide not to buy it, will wait until new model arrives, I believe it will be in Thailand June/July, same time as African twin.
Main reason not to buy it, I not going to be able to use it until June or July because of work and have to return to Australia in March, so I will wait and order the 2016 African twin or 750x when they price them in March.
thanks to all the people who replied.

if you dont mind, what is "SeaFoam" that you put in the tank?

Sea Foam Sales Company

This basically says everything better than I can explain it, with the caution that of course the company that makes and sells it, is going to claim it cures the common cold, too haha.

I've never used it myself but have not heard anything bad ever said about it, usually only good things, for what it's worth.

I use Seafoam in my motorcycles, lawn mowers, chain saws. It is a fuel additive, which will remove any water condensation and also will clean carb jets, fuel injectors, most gunk out of any fuel system. It is also a fuel stabilizer, which means, it keeps the fuel from turning into sludge. The company states it can stabilize the fuel for 3 years; I do know it stabilizes it for at least 6 months-the longest I have gone with stored fuel in a vehicle or device. It works in gasoline, diesel, and it can be placed in oil to help clean out the crankcase if needed, also in transmission fluid (per the company)-no experience in this application though.

Nice review of the new nc750x below and now when I see that dashboard closer I think I like the old one more...
Too many colors on display and shape.

[video=youtube;yXO98jQKC_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXO98jQKC_w[/video]

Back