• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07 vs 2014 Honda NC700X

Very cleaver of Yamaha Marketing Dept

I came across that video last week and thought, 'pretty stupid', actually. The FZ is nothing but an entry level crotch rocket.
Comparing it to the little known NC adventure bike is odd.

With a 55" wheelbase the FZ has a very choppy ride compared to the NCs' 60".
The NC power is way low in the rev band, the FZ just the opposite. 2 COMPLETELY different bikes.

Last edited:
They are two completely different animals other than the engine sizes being somewhat close. To me it's not a valid comparison.

The YZ-450 is so much better than an NC at jumps.
The Zuma 50f get's better gas mileage.
The GSXR-1000 is way faster.
The TW200 is much cheaper.
The Goldwing has better speakers.
A car has more wheels.

The YZ-450 is so much better than an NC at jumps.
The Zuma 50f get's better gas mileage.
The GSXR-1000 is way faster.
The TW200 is much cheaper.
The Goldwing has better speakers.
A car has more wheels.

Konrad, my man. I see a second career in Marketing for you. :D

If I only had enough money I'd have one of each. I'd probalby have about 7 bikes total.

I agree.... I think the fact it is compared to the X says the industry is coming back with some decent rides < $10k for the new riders and some of us old farts (your not in that group SergeantChuck) that are looking for something lighter to man handle on other than perfect roads. It will take a lot more money than you want to spend the get the FZ07 off-road ready and the low down torque of the X just does it for me. Heck this competition may make Honda do some upgrades on the X .....

Every bike has it's place in this world.

Comparing these two was a little off.

The Yamaha is designed as a sport bike while the NC is designed more as a economy minded adventure bike.

I see the Yamaha as a sport bike primarily while the NC is a great commuter with off road capability.

I highly doubt anyone would think logging roads or forestry roads for the Yamaha yet the NC is capable of them.

And one must remember, the best way to build up your product is to pick a product to compare it against which is not in your category.

This way you are able to stress your products particular points against a product which is not really designed similar or very comparable.

Where I am able to be running along on my NC and bear right or left onto a logging road the Yamaha is only designed to bear left or right into a roadside rest (with snack machines and restrooms!)

So, take the comparison for what it is worth and for whom it was targeted.

God bless!!

Michael

I wonder how insurance companies view the FZ-07? I was pleasantly surprised when I insured the NC.

I'm an insurance guy and the FZ-07 isn't but maybe a couple dollars more than an NC. Pretty fair.

Not to derail this thread.........but it was not that long ago (2012) some NC owners were experiencing and complaining about extremely high rates because of the category the NC was in back then with some insurance companies.

Last edited:
Yamaha has done a good job marketing the 07.

They have a vs video for the Kawai 650 Ninja or something.

For me the commercial is completly lost on me. Two different animals.

Granted, the value of the 07 ranks up there with the NC. And of course the engine displacement is close.

For a commuter with no mods, I would go with a NC.
For a bike build for my riding style, it would be close. I would have to do a good amount of research and get an estimate from my mechanic
I just like the NC more. Even thow it would be 60 lbs heavier.
The 07 would be low 400lbs with the fuel to match the NC.

I was looking to see what was happening on the forum and noticed this thread. FWIW I did some demo rides at Daytona during Bike Week and thought I'd give some input.
I rode the NC to the Speedway, hopped off it and first rode the FZ-07. Next I tried out a Suzuki GSX-S750, followed by an FZ-09.
I was really impressed with the FZ-07. I thought it felt a lot quicker than my NC, was still pretty smooth, and just as comfortable. The Suzuki didn't fit me, so that test ride was pretty uncomfortable. The FZ-09 was more twitchy than the NC and the FZ-07, but the engine was really sweet.
The Honda has the frunk and the mileage, but riding the Yamahas put a REALLY big smile on my face.
The end result is the local Yamaha dealer has a nice NC with Race Tech fork mods, a Sargent seat, and a bunch of farkles for sale on consignment. I on the other hand now have a yellow and black FZ-09 in my garage. Frunk duties are being accomplished by a Givi tankbag.
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the NC and it's a great bike. I had just come to the point where I wanted to try something different and the fun factor of the Yamaha was just too much to resist.

Bob

Every bike has it's place in this world.

Comparing these two was a little off.

The Yamaha is designed as a sport bike while the NC is designed more as a economy minded adventure bike.

I see the Yamaha as a sport bike primarily while the NC is a great commuter with off road capability.

I highly doubt anyone would think logging roads or forestry roads for the Yamaha yet the NC is capable of them.

And one must remember, the best way to build up your product is to pick a product to compare it against which is not in your category.

This way you are able to stress your products particular points against a product which is not really designed similar or very comparable.

Where I am able to be running along on my NC and bear right or left onto a logging road the Yamaha is only designed to bear left or right into a roadside rest (with snack machines and restrooms!)

So, take the comparison for what it is worth and for whom it was targeted.

God bless!!

Michael

That seems to be the crux of it. I rode a Yamaha XS650 many years ago and loved it. I might have considered the new Yamaha parallel twin if it had been around at the time I bought my NC. BUT: I can't stay off dirt roads. Everywhere I want to travel seems to involve at least a few miles of dirt, sometimes a lot more than a few. The NC, with a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trails, is just fine with 90 percent plus of the territory I used to traverse on a KLR. Where I used to bang the 21" front wheel over the rocks, now I just slow down and pick my way through them. I doubt the FZ07 would do that. The adventure model, if it ever shows up, might be interesting; but I suspect it would turn out more like the FJ09: an asphalt adventure bike. Meanwhile, I hear Honda is talking Africa Twin ...

I have a friend as well that has a Yamaha FZ7 and that thing is tiny. It is very compact for sure. The fit and finish is excellent however for the price point. I have not had the opportunity to ride it yet, but once I do I will report back.

Notice Yamaha did not compare their bike to the Kawasaki Versys or the Suzuki VStrom.

But then, they also are a different breed of bike than the FZ-07.

Even on the Star Motorcycle website they list the FZ-07 under "Sport Bikes" and not under "Dual Sport."

This shows they are comparing two different styles of bikes.

I am sure the Yamaha is fun.

But then so is my NC.

It is time for me to leave for work now.

Will I be going out and netting my lunch and everything I need on the back rack of an FZ-07 hoping nothing falls off?

Nope.

Just throwing everything right in the Frunk and heading out!!

What, no frunk on the Yamaha?

Nope.

While their rider is strapping, I am riding.

And their bike is listed at 58 MPG with a 3.7 gallon tank (my NC is getting 71 to 75 MPG).

While they are stopping for fuel, I am riding.

Is not the purpose of a bike - To Ride?!?!

What, Yamaha did not mention these things in their ad?

Just some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

Unless I made a mistake in selection, I am not going to keep a bike less than about 12 years. I still have a 1977 BMW that I bought new. It takes me too long to get a bike like I want it for me to toss it out just because someone came out with a new zoomier one in a gotta-have color. Wanna outrun me? Go ahead. I'm retired, I'll just leave a bit earlier. Carry more stuff? Cool. I sold my stuff. I don't want to lug it around and deal with it any more. It'll bounce off of boulders and jump rivers? If the bike could, my old body can't. Knock yourself out (hopefully not literally) and I'll take the road.

Lotza neat new bikes coming out these days. If I ever wear out one of mine, I will give them due consideration. (After which I will probably buy another old clapped out BMW airhead and resto-mod it.)

Back