• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07 vs 2014 Honda NC700X

It's a good commercial. Yamaha is a good make. Almost all the bikes used in the top ten of the Iron Butt Rally are Yamaha.

.... but ..
I have an NC700x.... so that video is a little like someone telling me my wife is ugly.... maybe... but it's my wife!

Cycleworld loses all credibility posting that video. It is not a comparison, it is a blatant add for Yamaha.

I've come to the conclusion that magazines with paying advertisers such as Cycle World are merely extensions of the OEM's marketing departments. The latest model always gets the preferential treatments. The NC had it's day, for sure. It's now passé.

I'm not going to renew my CW subscription unless it's nearly free. Magazines like MCN (US version), without advertising, are more to my likeing.

I'm thinking the new Yamaha is an exciting bike with a lot going for it. When I first read the initial reviews I liked it. They will sell a bunch of them. It's light and makes great power. A triple has cachet. A winner if that is what you are looking for.

I'm also thinking the video should have compared the CBR650F to the FZ-07 instead of the NC700X. The NC is plowing a different furrow in a crowded field of motorcycles and from the first day the NC was released it polarized journalists and riders both into two different camps. One gets it and doesn't. Nothing seems to have changed since 2012.

Folks are getting mixed up. We have a Youtube video and a link to a test ride article.

The Youtube video, if you LOOK who posted it, came from YamahaMotorUSA, with a link to Yamaha Motorsports in the Description.

The article is strictly about a Yamaha FZ Test Ride, without ANY reference to the Youtube article (that I could find).

So, you have to consider what *explicitly* was posted by the OP - A Yamaha-posted Youtube "comparison" video and a "strictly Yamaha" FZ Test Ride.article.

Folks are getting mixed up. We have a Youtube video and a link to a test ride article.

The Youtube video, if you LOOK who posted it, came from YamahaMotorUSA, with a link to Yamaha Motorsports in the Description.

The article is strictly about a Yamaha FZ Test Ride, without ANY reference to the Youtube article (that I could find).

So, you have to consider what *explicitly* was posted by the OP - A Yamaha-posted Youtube "comparison" video and a "strictly Yamaha" FZ Test Ride.article.

Good catch. I failed to view/read all the material.

Thanks for clarification I didn't see second link.

Cycleworld loses all credibility posting that video. It is not a comparison, it is a blatant add for Yamaha.

You mean... it wasn't an "Ad for Yamaha"?

If it was posted as something else, then Cycleworld should be more careful.

They give a very favorable write-up of it.
I still like my "boring" NC. I still like my mpg. I still like the longer wheel base for longer trips. I still like my seat higher. I still like the ease of maintenance on the engine. I still like my frunk. I still think my NC is better looking. did I mention my mpg?

You mean... it wasn't an "Ad for Yamaha"?

If it was posted as something else, then Cycleworld should be more careful.

The Youtube is a Yamaha ad ... the hyperlink to the Cycleworld First Ride article about the FZ has *no* references to the Youtube.
They are, effectively, two individual references including the FZ.

I think the OP was trying to ruffle everyone's feathers.

I saw the information given in the video and test ride like this.

1. Both of these bikes are street bikes - neither has an adventure bike suspension. (Yamaha has an adventure version of this bike currently in testing, but will production ever see it and at what price?)

2. For highway riding the NC700X is a better choice because of the longer wheel base. A short wheel base beats you to death on the highway.

3. For in city riding the FZ-07 is a better choice because of the shorter wheel base, lighter weight, and rake angle.

4. Seat Height - Folks with shorter inseams will like the FZ-07, where folks with taller inseams will like the NC700X.

5. The Yamaha engine is cranking out 75 horsepower, but so is the BMW R700GS adventure bike at a $3000 higher price tag.

My conclusion is that if Yamaha ever puts the FZ-07 adventure model (Longer wheel base, adventure suspension, lighter weight, and lower seat height) into production, I would be very interested. Until then for my predominant use (cross county riding) the NC700X is a better bike.

Last edited:
The Youtube is a Yamaha ad ... the hyperlink to the Cycleworld First Ride article about the FZ has *no* references to the Youtube.
They are, effectively, two individual references including the FZ.

I think the OP was trying to ruffle everyone's feathers.

I know what you mean. Just to be clear for others looking in at this rather convoluted scenario, OP in this instance is not OCR (oldcanride) trying to stir up anything here ;)

This "comparison" video was posted over on ADVRider a long while back, and that OP definitely was flipping the bird to NC700X owners. Much foaming resulted. (including me, lol) :D

If the yamaha had come out earlier, and at $800 less, YES I would have bought that straight away
IF the build quality of yamaha is same as Honda , which it isn't.

Everytime a newer model comes out, it has to be better and more value than the last kid on the block.
It is simple marketing.

Would I trade my NC700x for a new FZ07 for zero money? Yes i would.
Would I enjoy the new ride?
Yes I would.

But what's the point? That will never happen because real world economics will not make it real.
Therefore buy what you can "in that moment" and be happy with it.

Now, stop saying it's your wife.
:p

Having ridden both bikes they are not even remotely in the same category in terms of making a comparison test. The MT07 is a great bike, but it's a small light naked sports bike in charcuterie that you can wheelie with a flick of the wrist and have your knee down easily.

I would consider getin the Yam as a 2nd bike to the NC for when you want a weekend blast, but not as an a
Ternative

The NCX surely had its days in the sun - getting all the recognitions in its first couple of years in production. It even made the cover of Cycle World a couple of times (I am sure Honda paid handsomely for that). Now the NCX is in its 3rd production year; it's middle aged now. It's time for another young pretty thing to shine. in a couple of years, the brand spanking new NCX will debut and look down on an aging MT-07. It's the circle of life.

My brother actually has one, very good bike. i can do a direct comparison as i ride both on regular bases and my brother rides mine.

I have to say again, these two are different bikes.
the NC storage makes all the difference.

the FZ07 can achieve the same MPG, i have try that, shifting at 3-4k every time and you will get 65 mpg. very fun bike, low seat, short wheel base, is lighter, left turbulence noise than the NC due to the handle bar being locate lower then the NC. the suspension on the FZ also feel a bit more refined a lot less bumpy. but it could be the tires on the NC.

I too, am more than puzzled by the considerations of either/or when it comes to the FZ-07 "versus" an NC700X.

I could see a Triumph triple of some flavour (Speed/Street etc.) or a Ducati Monster or Streetfighter maybe, or any number of other 650-850-ish cc size streetbike offerings, but the NCX is so far the opposite direction, I don't get the initial appeal of it to someone in the first place, if they would have wanted an FZ-07 type bike instead? (Honourable mention to SergeantChuck, who has mentioned his curious journey from initially wanting a Repsol CBR but rode out on an NCX, hee hee)

I mean, it's like my 1981 Yamaha RD350LC. Honda had a CM400T, Suzuki offered up GS400L's, GN400E's, Kawi had KZ440 belt drive LTD's and so on. Wanting a rip snorting high strung 2stroke race bike with lights versus picking something in another makers lineup closer to a Harley chopper?

Nothing on Gods green earth could have made me go: "Hmmm. it's a tough call between these two bikes, for me."

Get this bike:

"This bike really sucks for comfortable passenger carrying, while loaded up with panniers, top box, large windshield, and there is nowhere to install highway pegs. I can't reach the low bars when I lean back on the sissy bar I bolted on. It wheelies uncontrolably with too much throttle. Phooie!"

0001pics780.jpg

But want this instead, and slam the other bike for its "failings" at doing the opposite of what it was made for, and customers for which it was designed to appeal to:

"This bike really sucks at the race track. The buckhorn bars and forward controls make hanging off and dragging knees impossibly awkward. Couldn't even change the gearing for the tight chicanes at smaller courses, because it has belt drive. Ridiculous!"

2-Kawasaki-Z440LTD-1981.jpg

In that role reversal comparo, I can't comprehend a person having any remote connection between the two choices, lol

edit: oops, pardon I put up picture of 440LTD chain drive instead of 440 belt drive model :eek:

Kawasaki-Z-440-LTD-Belt-Drive-7795.jpg

Last edited:
Back