• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 NC700X ABS Stays On

Bikeman

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings,
Just bought a clean, low miles, manual transmission (NOT DCT) NC. The ABS light is on when running. It does not blink. This seems very unusual as this bike does not have abs. I did a Google search and Forum search, but no mention of this issue in the non-ABS bike. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. As a new member, I appreciate the collective wisdom.

I think there was a recall on 2014 models for instrument cluster issues, so maybe your manual transmission bike accidentally had a cluster meant for a DCT ABS version swapped in by mistake?

Just a guess...

In the US, there are no Honda NC700X manual transmission bikes with ABS. ABS in the US is only on the DCT models. You have the wrong instrument cluster on your bike.

I’m in agreement with the posts above. The 2014s had a display issue related to the trip counters, that Honda resolved by replacing the whole “combination meter.” Perhaps your manual transmission model received a DCT type display. During the time these swaps were being done, there were a couple threads going on the forum with dealer’s screwing up the “recall” process and installing the wrong parts. It may be hard to track the history of the repair, in your case, because the meter swap was a “service campaign”, not an official NHTSA recall.

Perhaps someone here can elaborate, but I seem to recall there was to be a marking on the frame, like a punch mark, signifying that the display swap had been performed.

If you bought this bike from a Honda dealer, you may be able to resolve the issue through them. If you bought from a private seller, you may be on your own.

Another thought, if we are correct in these assumptions, is your “low miles” is because it got a new display. When the display gets replaced, the odometer shows 0 miles. In my state anyway, the vehicle title odometer statement has a box that can be checked if the displayed odometer value is not the actual miles on the vehicle.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
In my state anyway, the vehicle title odometer statement has a box that can be checked if the displayed odometer value is not the actual miles on the vehicle.

Mine has an official sticker inside the frunk with the odometer replacement notice and the previous mileage that must be added to the current one (Ontario, Canada - if that matters). I am pretty sure that the purchase paperwork/licencing/etc didn't have anything about that - just the total mileage.

Mine is like, but not exactly the same as the one here:
Odometer Repair Label

Last edited:
Mine has an official sticker inside the frunk with the odometer replacement notice and the previous mileage that must be added to the current one (Ontario, Canada - if that matters). I am pretty sure that the purchase paperwork/licencing/etc didn't have anything about that - just the total mileage.

Mine is like, but not exactly the same as the one here:
Odometer Repair Label

This could be another place. Mine is on the frame just behind the head bearings on the right side.

A general suggestion, not necessarily related to the display issue, is to check the machine for open recalls at this site: Recall Information - Honda Powersports

2014’s had a recall on the starter relay.

Last edited:
WOW! Thanks to all for your thoughts. I will need to digest all the input and determine further questions.

I did check Instrument part numbers, and they are different for the XD model. Any idea how to verify which one I have?

Last edited:
... Any idea how to verify which one I have?

The easiest way would be if you'd post picture here of your 2014 NC700X instrument, with an ignition on. Someone here may compare to his 2014 bike instrument.

This is, allegedly, 2014 NCX (from Google search).

6000000005.jpg

Ok, I think I am making progress with your help. A call to American Honda resulted in confirmation the instrument cluster was replaced. Also, the starter relay was replaced a little later. The selling dealer performed these two mods. The next move is a friendly visit to the dealer for some "splainin". Pictures attached - key not turned on, turned on not running, and running.

Instrument off.jpg

Instrument on.jpg

Instrument running.jpg

Note - Per the Honda Instrument change bulletin, a mileage change decal is required, along with a punch mark on the frame. Neither of these items are present. It's possible the mod was made prior to any mileage being put on this bike.....so the decal and punch mark may of been forgone.

Bikeman, comparing your display with the one in post #10 confirms the problem. Not only should the ABS light be masked out on the manual version, you would also not see a parking brake light, since it obviously does not exist on the manual transmission model.

The punch mark still needs to be there, and the label should have been there too, just to confirm the original display had zero miles, if that were the case. This dealer cut some corners. Show the dealer the pdf document and insist that they do the job correctly. If you are in contact with American Honda, let them know of the dealer’s mistakes.

When the proper display is installed, it will show 0 miles again, so you’ll need the label to account for your 1295 miles currently showing.

Idiots. What a mess.

Last edited:
Bikeman, comparing your display with the one in post #10 confirms the problem. Not only should the ABS light be masked out on the manual version, you would also not see a parking brake light, since it obviously does not exist on the manual transmission model.

The punch mark still needs to be there, and the label should have been there too, just to confirm the original display had zero miles, if that were the case. This dealer cut some corners. Show the dealer the pdf document and insist that they do the job correctly. If you are in contact with American Honda, let them know of the dealer’s mistakes.

When the proper display is installed, it will show 0 miles again, so you’ll need the label to account for your 1295 miles currently showing.

Will do. Thanks to all for the assistance!

Went to the Selling and Servicing dealer, Fun Bike Center in San Diego. Service Adviser looked up the Instrument Campaign letter, and the service order to replace the Instrument meter. Yep, they installed the wrong unit. They should replace it with the correct unit. Request was forwarded up for approval. Got a call back later that day. Basically, there's no way they would pay for the replacement, and Honda would not cover it either; stating way too much time had passed. They won't even bother contacting Honda.

The strange thing I noticed was the Instrument was replaced at ZERO miles......before it was sold. How in the heck did it get thru Sales, Service, and owner without notice? It doesn't seem possible. When I bought the bike, owner seemed surprised by the ABS light. The bike only has 1300 miles. Thoughts, conspiracies, possibilities???

If I can't get the meter replaced, my next move will be to determine how to remove power from the ABS light. A quick look at the Service Manual looks like it is possible. But more study is required.

Call HONDA customer service...........the dealer screwed up the recall.
A recall does not have an expiration ................HONDA should debit the original recall warranty claim and the dealer should fix it correctly no matter how much time has passed.

EDIT
Correction....... recall is the wrong description..........it’s a service campaign.
See post below.

Still call Honda.......

Last edited:
Per the product update campaign instructions, the program is still open. It seems if it was not done right, then it's not done yet.

"This Product Update Campaign ends the last
day of December, 2019. Normal claim submis-
sion requirements apply.
After completing the update procedure, sub-
mit one warranty claim per unit . . ."

Back